586,103 active members*
3,296 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Need to Pickup and Move a PCNC 1100

Need to Pickup and Move a PCNC 1100

I just purchased a used 1100 series 3 and I need some information on removing the 1100 from the stand. The 1100 is out of state so I can't look at the mill to determine what tools I'll need. I was hoping someone here could advise me on what tools i should bring to separate the mill from the stand to load it on a truck.

I figured out by watch various video is I'll need at least the following tools:

Phillips screw driver
    Allen wrench for the four mounting bolts (don't know the size)
    Tormach Lifting bar

There is a fork lift onsite to lift and move it

What other tools should I bring. I want to keep the tools that I bring to a minimum because I will be flying then renting a local truck to drive it back home.

Thanks in Advance

Re: Need to Pickup and Move a PCNC 1100

You will need to disconnect the lube lines, so small end wrench, and......................
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Many will frown on this, however, when I picked up the used Series III I did so with my small trailer and left it assembled, on the stand, with the homebrew 80/20 enclosure.

We loaded it on the trailer with a forklift and I strapped the heck out of it (I have pictures of the insanity somewhere). They're quite top-heavy when on the stand, so truth is I don't recommend it.

However, it worked fine for me.

Regarding tools needed - have you had a look at the manual for ideas?

Bill
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

Given the adventures expenditures already, I'd be inclined to fly light and just buy (or borrow) the needed tools at the other end. Probably less than a hundred bucks. Another thought: ship a tool kit, don't carry it- and stock it well enough to be worth shipping. Same hundred bucks, probably.

Is Tormach still shipping a minimum tool kit with the machine? You may already have what you need, with the machine.

To your questions. The bolts holding my 1100 base are 20mm nuts, onto studs that screwed into the base (my deluxe base is vintage 2010-11}.; The biggest cap screws are 10mm; the motor mount cap screws are 6mm, and the stepper couplings are 4mm. Phillips #2 seems to fit most of the phillips screws OK. The "standard" Tormach tool kit, shipped with my machine, was 10 through 4 mm Allens, a #2 phillips, and a 13 and 16 mm double end open wrench.

If it were me, I'd take or ship a couple Crescent wrenches, 8 & 10", a full set of metric ball end drivers, Phillips and straight screwdrivers, a small piece of wood (to sit the head on when it's all the way down), 4" square maybe). Might add a third 4" crescent or a small pair of Visegrips for small lines.

Lifting bar & chain. If you have a forklift, could you instead use (solid) 1" bars to lift from the base instead? Bars might be lighter, or obtainable locally. My bar, chain, and assorted table nuts weighs around 15 lb, guaranteed to set off every alarm TSA has.

Smile Re: Need to Pickup and Move a PCNC 1100

Thanks everybody.
    Great information, this helps a lot.

I thought about moving it as one unit, but the rental trucks mostly have 77" inch high openings and the 1100 is 80". The taller opening trucks have the floor higher of the ground so then the challenge is unloading it once I get it home. I thought about renting a trailer, but since the mill is several states away, that's x2 the driving distance and for roughly the same $ I can fly one direct and drive the other.

I bought mine second hand too, and shipped it via freight halfway across the country. The company that helped me with the logistics built a crate around the entire machine. See pic below. Everything arrived OK

Tormach does not recommend this approach, btw. As mentioned earlier the machine is quite top heavy on the stand.

Whatever you do, bring a piece of lumber and lower the head down to sandwich the piece of wood between the spindle
    Nose and the table.

I'd move it assembled and rent a uhaul pickup, get you the best mileage and easier to unload.

Quote Originally Posted by jcposada View Post
    I bought mine second hand too, and shipped it via freight halfway across the country. The company that helped me with the logistics built a crate around the entire machine. See pic below. Everything arrived OK
    How much did this approach cost?

Quote Originally Posted by matinski View Post
    How much did this approach cost?
    Can't remember exactly. Somewhere between 1.5 and 2k

Can't remember exactly. Somewhere between 1.5 and 2k
    If you don't mind me asking, which company did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by smorell View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, which company did you use?
    craters and freighters

craters and freighters
    Thanks. Just purchased a machine and looking to get quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    I'd move it assembled and rent a uhaul pickup, get you the best mileage and easier to unload.
    I would agree! I have rented a uhaul for almost nothing. If they need the trucks returned to your area.
    On the other hand, I needed a trailer to haul stuff in general, like toys and materials. So I built one that will also haul small sized precision machine tools from state to state with little or no drama. The project was way more work to build then I estimated, but I now have another nice tool to use.

Attachment 376810

Anyway I figured it would make this type of purchase a little more simple to pull off!

Travel to site, make the deal, run by the local lumber yard and and pick up some crate material. Load the tool, bolt it down, strap it. Then build a crate around it. Screw on extra tail lights to crate and plug into pre-wired sockets . Let some air out of the tires for a soft ride and away you go safe and secure. Then on site no need to rush the unload. Just park trailer and unload when convenient.

craters and freighters
    They came in at $2782.34 + I would need to have a forklift on site at both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by smorell View Post
    They came in at $2782.34 + I would need to have a forklift on site at both ends.
    On my move it was not required at either end. We used a pallet jack to load onto the liftgate, and then they used the liftgate on my end to unload the crate they built around the mill. I don;t remember paying that much - how many miles are you talking about?