586,116 active members*
3,507 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Material Machining Solutions > Machining Styrene to make small models

Machining Styrene to make small models

I'm trying to make some scale models from styrene and having some difficulties joining the edges.

For 90 degree corners I'm engraving the fold lines with a 90 degree V point tool "almost through" and then folding along the line and using some poly cement to make the joint.

The problem is where I have a corner which isn't 90 degrees, ideally a 5 axis machine would be able to cut the exact angle on the edge of the sheets. I only have a 3 axis machine and wanted to find something in between a basic 2.5D solution and having to model each sheet in 3d and then machining the parts out with the requires angles on the sheet edges.

I hope this illustration helps to explain what I'm refering to:

The image shows the resultant gap when the sheet is bent to angles less that 90 degrees.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3767/image1sr1.jpg

You don't say what the degrees are for the other bends but this site may help you with most of them http://www.toolstoday.com/c-320-chamfer-bits.aspx

I've done this sort of thing in the past with Dibond AL faced plastic. You need a bit with 100-110° vee to 'over-bend' the corner to get your 90° angle. Be sure to check angles on router bits, they vary as much as 4°, unlike end mills, which are always spot on.

It's just a 2D cut, no 5-axis needed. Get the proper angle bit, set a vector on the centerline of the joint & machine along vector.

-Brady

I didn't make it clear but the 90 degree V bit works for bending 90 degree corners. The problem is obtaining bends less than 90 and avoiding a large gap which would require some kind of filler.

The smaller angles vary so it wouldn't be able to find a cutter with the correct angles to cut all of them.

I can get away with most of those bends but on some you'll be able to see both sides of the bend so I need to try to find a way of making the edges butt up more precisely. I could always make the parts to the sive of the longest edge and then file to the correct angle with a needle file but that defeats the point of using cnc.

If this is a $ making venture, then get custom bits ground. Something like the Her-Saf type insert bits come to mind. They may even offer you a custom angle.

-B

The angles all vary so I can really justify getting custom bits ground for each edge.

It'd also take forever to machine too as I'm using an EGX-300 so no automatic tool changer etc...

I guess i'll have to model the parts in 3d and then machine them all!

That would take so much longer than a simple 2.5d toolpath!