586,035 active members*
3,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 50w Laser Issue - Reduced power, advice needed

50w Laser Issue - Reduced power, advice needed

I have been having issues with my 50w Chinese laser. I am now on my 3rd power supply, the last one was installed last week, it seemed to be working fine and I now have greatly reduced power.
    See attached picture of the laser tube.

I have cleaned and aligned all the mirrors, cleaned the lens, and changed out the water using distilled water. Any ideas of what the cause of this might be. The laser is only a couple of months old and has not worked longer than it has worked. I feel like the cone the laser is forming at the end is the issue.

I do not know if I need a new tube, another new power supply or both. The trial and error starts to get expensive.

Thanks, any suggestions would be appreciated.

If your commit is I should have payed for a better laser that doesn't help my issue so don't bother.

Re: 50w Laser Issue - Reduced power, advice needed

Looks to me as if the gas has leaked away common problem with cheap tubes, I have a brand new K40 machine sitting here given to me as a gift, the tube from new lasted all of 2 hours on low power. Unfortunately a lot of tubes in chinese machines sit atround on ships and in warehouses slowly losing gas and arrive with short working lives and reduced power, operating at anything over 70% of power kills them off even quicker.

Did you mean to post this in the Tormach CNC machine forum? Surely there are better sources of info for laser cutter/engravers, especially the cheap imports.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Did you mean to post this in the Tormach CNC machine forum? Surely there are better sources of info for laser cutter/engravers, especially the cheap imports.
    I did not realize I had posted it in the wrong area. I intended to
    Post in a laser forum. This could explain the lack of responses.

Sorry about that and thanks for the heads up

Did you happen to be using the laser with a Tormach ? I 'd like to hear a success story of a Tormach /Laser combo.

I set up an oxacetylene torch with a bracket extending off the Tormach table and made a really nice cut in 2" thick mild steel plate one time...

Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DLawrence View Post
    Did you happen to be using the laser with a Tormach ? I 'd like to hear a success story of a Tormach /Laser combo.

I set up an oxacetylene torch with a bracket extending off the Tormach table and made a really nice cut in 2" thick mild steel plate one time...

Thanks
    Dave
    Not a Tormach dave but a lot of info here you may find interesting related to this subject https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...&topic=12444.0

Quote Originally Posted by DLawrence View Post

Thanks
    Dave
    How does your mill table look now?