586,103 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

dxf to gcode problem...

Boy, I feel like i am stumbeling throught this process and cant seem to get one thing done without help.

So here I am again! I have learned a lot so far, but I have this file that I have tride to convert to gcode using ace that is not working. I was able to get gcode of the 2d version but now the 3d is not working.

I have attached the dxf and the gcode generated.

Would help if i actually attaced a file...

here it is
    Attached Files Attached Files

The only thing I can see is that you've got double entities, which is probably why your program doesn't get further. I don't know the program you're using, but if you can do something along the lines of picking a chain and blanking it, you should be able to see where you've got these little beauties.

Good luck!

Jen
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I tried your file in Ace and got the same problem.

I then used Autocad to save as an Acad r12 .dxf this helped quite a bit .gcode here

I havent downloaded the fiel yet, so excuse my ignorance....I never thought Ace could do 3d? The way I use Ace is to put different height section on different layers, then using Ace's features, you can set each layer to be cut at a different depth from a set z=0 location. I will now go a download the file and take a look!

Ace doesn't like polylines, which is what the heart and cross are. Explode them, and any other lines that are more than 1 segment, and re-export your .dxf. That should work.
    Also, Ace won't read 3D objects, but what your doing, adding thickness, is not really a 3D object, just a line with thickness, so it will work as Ace just thinks it's a line.

Gerry
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Nope, I can't get it to work either. Even with exploded lines, and only converting layer3 all I get is a mumble-jumble of garbage! Joe, I took a look at your g-code, but it seems to be cutting the whole thing at z=0. I think what freezer was trying to achieve was to get the three entities - cross, flames and the base - cut on different z levels.
    Freezer, if I am wrong about this, please let me know, but I think you would make life easier for yourself if you just stuck to a 2d drawing, with each entity on a seperate layer, and then tell Ace to cut each particular layer to a different z height. But like Gerry says, don't forget to explode everything first.

My end goal was to give it a true 3d appearence. This has been my learning project. Giving the heart a convex shape and make the flames more realistic with some depth. My cad skill are loooow. I am trying to under stand the process of getting a cad drawing to gcode but it seems easer said than done.

You are correct in sticking with 2d for now! The reason i started building my cnc router was to do simple 2d cutting but then i started thinking!!!!! 3D how cool...

I belieave i under stand that when i draw a 2d image i will have to explode it before i try to convert it to gcode. With 3d i have to convert it to a polyline make it 3d then explode it and then make the gcode.

I did try to explode this file and convert but it did not work either. I think on this my best bet will be to stick with 2d and add a small piece of trim that will save the time milling the entire serface any way. But, what i would like to do is add some depth to the flames where the base of the flame is .5 and the tip of the flame is 0 or something close maybe a 1/16th.

You are heading in the right direction, but you will need different software than Ace. If your cad software can output stl, which I think Turbocad pro 9 will, then you can try Meshcam. Have a hunt around these forums, there's lots of info about it. This will help you create a 3d toolpath for those flames, whereas Ace will not.

If you're not to familiar with CAD yet then you might try the image machining features of MeshCAM ( http://www.robgrz.com/meshcam.phtml ). To start you can draw the image as a solid and then apply a gausian blur in your paint program to give it a curved edge.

Robert