587,040 active members*
2,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 15 89101112

Re: Starting my build...

Hello Fretman, Wow, that turned out very well for a fist cut on the machine.
    Congrats, you must be feeling very proud with that machine.

Cheers,
    Luc

Re: Electronics case

Yea...I should have done that and probably will!
    Quote Originally Posted by RicknBeachcrest View Post
    In ref to your electronics case, if you removed the drive bay hardware, you would free up some space. It is just attached with pop rivets, which can easily be drilled out.

Here is a picture of mine.

The switch to aluminum is something I'm contemplating too. My cousin is getting a water jet and I could probably use that. The only issue I have so far is some flex in the X direction. I noticed this on the dial indicator when setting the X travel in GRBL. I should have doubled up the gantry sides with two pieces of .75" MDF. I cut that corner thinking that the sides would be stiff enough with just one per side. The sides are just tall enough to add some moment arm to what ever side forces are applied. I'll have to add a metal stiffener to the sides of the gantry support to help with that.

But my overall goal was to build a machine that's much more rigid than the Shapeoko2 and I've surely done that!

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Spec View Post
    Glad you got it running ! Im still ordering parts and working on the design...ill go with mdf too to see if everythings wirku working properlys ill switch to aluminum

Thanks Luc...your machine is looking awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuimpge View Post
    Hello Fretman, Wow, that turned out very well for a fist cut on the machine.
    Congrats, you must be feeling very proud with that machine.

Cheers,
    Luc

Im looking to do something like this but with a proprer linear system, rack and pinion and thicker plates
    https://youtu.be/TJBtkC5rrfQ

I just took a look at that. Those DIY extrusions were cool. I assume by a proper linear system you're talking about SBR or HIWIN. I used SBR16 on my build...good rail for the money I think.

Im looking to do something like this but with a proprer linear system, rack and pinion and thicker plates
    https://youtu.be/TJBtkC5rrfQ

I got the hiwins one pretty expensive with the canadian dollar value but i guess it will worth it

I'm going to build a much smaller machine next and I'm looking at HIWIN's too.

I got the hiwins one pretty expensive with the canadian dollar value but i guess it will worth it

Redid the gcode and recut the parts...perfect fit for the bearings. Will have some video up soon.

...cutting parts. Spindle mount is temporary.

...propertly cut parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160913_190534.jpg   20160913_165552.jpg  

Some video of the machine in action. I will be cutting new spindle mounts. You'll probably notice that my tool paths aren't very efficient. I realized what I did in generating the gcode. Will do better next time.

Installed bearing block...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160916_182049.jpg  

Started a fun project on my machine...still have a few things to do to completely finish it. But I couldn't resist cutting something on it. These will be teak wooden bracelets for Christmas presents. I'm trying to teach myself the 3D software now so I don't have to profile the bracelets on my table router.

...being cut

...got six of them

...here are some braclets I cut last year for my wife...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160917_102513.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Redid the gcode and recut the parts...perfect fit for the bearings. Will have some video up soon.

...cutting parts. Spindle mount is temporary.

...propertly cut parts.
    What type of cutter where you using?
    Can you make some pictures of it?

Had my first successful drawing today

Cheers,
    Luc

Awesome on the drawing Luc...I love seeing my machine move whether it's cutting or drawing!

The cutter I used on the HDPE was a 2 flute 1/8" spiral upcut bit. I think my feeds were a conservative 40ipm cutting and 20ipm plunge. I will push it a little harder next time. Plunge depth was 0.05".

Quote Originally Posted by Schuimpge View Post
    What type of cutter where you using?
    Can you make some pictures of it?

Had my first successful drawing today

Cheers,
    Luc

I wanted to try my hand at using the free F-engrave software to do some engraving. I had some teak rounds left over from making wooden bracelets and engraved an H into one of them. The bit was a 30 degree 1/8" v-bit. Not sure of the RPM.. Both cutting and plunge speeds were 10ipm. I posted pics on FB and it looks like I'll be making a few Christmas presents!

Attachment 335256

Cut some bracelets out of a teak cutting board for Christmas gifts on my CNC. Got the cutting board at a salvage place for cheap. The lighter color bracelet on the bottom is a test cut in pine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161106_120706.jpg   20161106_120713.jpg  

So have you done any guitar parts on your CNC yet?

I did some humbucker pickup ring's on the machine out of abs plastic. Getting ready to do a new build...will keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    So have you done any guitar parts on your CNC yet?

Quote Originally Posted by dmalicky View Post
    fretman, there are a number of versions of it. Don't get those labeled HY-DIV268N or Rattm (red circuit board) -- those have many issues.
    The best implementation appears to be this one (used to be on ebay, but I didn't see it now): TB6600 1 axis Stepper Motor 2-phase Driver Board for CNC Router [HY-TB6600-Module] - US $16.00 : HAOYU Electronics : Make Engineers Job Easier
    I tested it among some others a few years ago -- Haoyu was the best of them, and it works quite well.
    I just bought these 2 versions, but have not tested them yet:
    Single Axis TB6600 DC12 45V Two Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Driver Controller Lo | eBay
    4A CNC Single Axis 4A TB6600 2 4 Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Drivers Controller | eBay

This THB6064 is also very good, probably better than the Haoyu: New THB6064AH JP 6445A Single Axis Stepper Motor Driver | eBay

Louie, to clarify, I didn't mean TB6600 over any other drive. Just compared to other low-end drives like TB6560. It does have idle current reduction, and I have heard it has some mid band damping, but I'm sure it is not as good as Gecko or a digital drive.
    What was your result on this last driver? (4A CNC Single Axis 4A TB6600 2 4 Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Drivers Controller | eBay)

I purchased one a few months ago but have not had a chance to work with it yet.. any recommendations or things to watch out for? Opinions on it ???

No...actually I purchased the M542T drivers from stepperonline and so far so good ( 2/4 phase Nema 23 Stepper Motor Driver 24-50VDC 1.5A-4.5A 256 Microstep M542T|US054|Stepper Motor Drivers ).

Hopefully you'll have nothing but good service out of your driver.

Quote Originally Posted by esmiller View Post
    What was your result on this last driver? (4A CNC Single Axis 4A TB6600 2 4 Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Drivers Controller | eBay)

I purchased one a few months ago but have not had a chance to work with it yet.. any recommendations or things to watch out for? Opinions on it ???

Page 10 of 15 89101112