586,100 active members*
2,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PathPilot™ > Stupid question- does Pathpilot system restore disc install Linux?

Stupid question- does Pathpilot system restore disc install Linux?

I going to attempt to jailbreak Pathpilot for a machine I am working on. If I have a fresh PC (formatted harddrive), does the Pathpilot system restore disc install the whole shebang, Linux and Pathpilot? Or do I have to have Linux already installed?

Re: Stupid question- does Pathpilot system restore disc install Linux?

It installs the whole thing - from blank hard disc to full PathPilot controller (running linux) in a few minutes.

but you need to have non ssd disk an an internal cd drive !

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

don't know what you mean by Jailbreak ! , theirs nothing to break ! . it's not windows you know ! ,
    pathpilot installs linux ubuntu 10_04 as it's os .

if you mean you want to use it for non tormach machines , all the information you need , is on Linuxcnc.org in the pathpilot section .
    let me know if theirs anything special .

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    but you need to have non ssd disk an an internal cd drive !

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    Hmm.
    I have mach on one ssd and I have PP on another ssd. My controller has quick front loading dual ssd drive bay "they cost about 20$ at newegg". I don't use mach anymore but it I can pop it in and start running it in seconds. Also a couple months back I setup a 2nd ssd with pp in case of some sort of update problem I can pop that in and have it running in seconds . You do need a cheap cd drive to to do disk setup and I keep that in original box and install and use it as needed. Hard to keep optical devices working in a shop environment. Anyway I have no problem with solid state drives and I only own a couple of 1 tb spinners to hold media, movies and pictures configured on a home server

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Hmm.
    I have mach on one ssd and I have PP on another ssd. My controller has quick front loading dual ssd drive bay "they cost about 20$ at newegg". I don't use mach anymore but it I can pop it in and start running it in seconds. Also a couple months back I setup a 2nd ssd with pp in case of some sort of update problem I can pop that in and have it running in seconds . You do need a cheap cd drive to to do disk setup and I keep that in original box and install and use it as needed. Hard to keep optical devices working in a shop environment. Anyway I have no problem with solid state drives and I only own a couple of 1 tb spinners to hold media, movies and pictures configured on a home server
    I think that you just detailed a best practice approach for the machine controller hardware set-up. I mean the only thing that the controller is ever going to get loaded on it here is a few pdf's and g-code. Low capacity, reliable SSD's are just the ticket, and like you said, you can have a couple of front loaders ready for a hot swap. I'm going to have to jump on a few to have set up here. Thanks for the inspiration!

I tried a itx Board and have 2 ssd which work on linuxcnc but with pp not using an 250 gb Disk solved it thomas

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cncbasher View Post
    don't know what you mean by Jailbreak ! , theirs nothing to break ! . it's not windows you know ! ,
    pathpilot installs linux ubuntu 10_04 as it's os .

if you mean you want to use it for non tormach machines , all the information you need , is on Linuxcnc.org in the pathpilot section .
    let me know if theirs anything special .

Sorry, maybe jailbreak isn't the proper term. I am going to attempt to use it on a non-Tormach machine.

Thanks for the info guys. Will look into all the info/recommendations. Thanks.

Although I don't think your original question was directly asking this - the PathPilot install disc doesn't actually "install" Linux. It deploys a disk image that already has Ubuntu + realtime kernel + PathPilot setup and configured.

It was mentioned above, but there is nothing to "jailbreak" in PathPilot. It literally is an Ubuntu 10 LTS distro with a user called "operator" that has some LinuxCNC configuration files in their home directory. These LCNC config files, when combined with a few scripts and utility binaries makeup PathPilot.

You can launch a command prompt with ctrl+alt+x once PathPilot is up and running, sudo -i to root and do whatever you please with the underlying OS. Do keep in mind that Tormach is trying to create an "appliance" with this distro, hence the reason it auto boots into the operator account, closes the x-window manager and launches LCNC with the correct PathPilot configuration. Running it this way will give the most reliable and stable results.

Note: If you do edit the configuration, make sure to backup your files to use a CM tool to control your changes, because a PathPilot update will overwrite the top-level config file and create a brand-new subdir for PathPilot with every release.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    ...you can have a couple of front loaders ready for a hot swap...
    If you ever want to try a hot swap your PP drive then please make sure you catch it on video for us
    For the optical drive I've had no issues with a USB DVD. Stays in my office when the controller goes into the workshop.
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    If you ever want to try a hot swap your PP drive then please make sure you catch it on video for us
    For the optical drive I've had no issues with a USB DVD. Stays in my office when the controller goes into the workshop.
    Step
    I was thinking same thing . Not a good idea !
    Hot swap will only work with properly raid configured paired drives. And even then certain conditions must be present.
    What was surprising is how easy win98 o.s. installed on a 32 gb intel ssd that was not on market for another10 years after that o.s. distro.
    I tend to use intel adata or kingstons ssd drives. the smallest and cheapest I can buy!

Check out this post on the linux cnc forum. Pretty easy just press Control + Alt durning start up and you will boot right into gnome desktop. After that change the screen resolution and you'll have access to it all the time. Path Pilot just runs in full screen mode and blocks out the desktop. I set this up on my old laptop to surf the web and have the "Mill_sim" enabled to fiddle with programing things offline.

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/pat...tutorial-part1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I am going to attempt to install Pathpilot on an older Dell with an Intel 845GV or 845PE chipset (got 2 PC options). Does the hard drive need to be formatted or wiped before installing the Pathpilot DVD? A coworker said wiping and formatting are not the same thing. Also, is it possible to have an successful install without the Mesa card installed? I was hoping on getting Pathpilot successfully installed prior to buying the Mesa card in case the whole Pathpilot route doesn't play nice on my PC option. Thanks.

Hi,
    no from dvd it expects mesa card
    if you have an installed version on another pc you could fiddle an Printer port version and transport that to your pc ,.. if you are an unix expert ,..

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    So I am going to attempt to install Pathpilot on an older Dell with an Intel 845GV or 845PE chipset (got 2 PC options). Does the hard drive need to be formatted or wiped before installing the Pathpilot DVD? A coworker said wiping and formatting are not the same thing. Also, is it possible to have an successful install without the Mesa card installed? I was hoping on getting Pathpilot successfully installed prior to buying the Mesa card in case the whole Pathpilot route doesn't play nice on my PC option. Thanks.
    You do not need to format or wipe (same thing if you leave partitioning out of the equation). The install disc will repartition your disk the way it wants it and copy all of the Linux, LinuxCNC and PathPilot files for you. You will lose anything on your hard drive.

You will need a Mesa card to boot PathPilot for the first time, unless you bypass it (ctrl+alt on boot) and don't load the PathPilot configured LCNC application. The PathPilot launcher automatically checks for the Mesa card and powers off if it's missing.

If you really want to play with it, you can bypass PathPilot with ctrl+alt and boot directly to the Ubuntu desktop, then hand-edit the launcher script in operator's home dir to remove the Mesa requirement. Then change the LCNC config file to either "mill_sim" or "lathe_sim" and play with it. I would recommend a fresh reload from disc before you try to run your Tormach though.

Good luck!