586,263 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation Lonely machinist seeks partner

NO, This is ABSOLUTELY NOT a personals ad. I have a machine shop with more than enough work for myself, and several products that I manufacture and sell all over the world. I run this shop by myself, 5 to 7 days a week and haven't had a vacation in over 5 years. I am interested in finding someone who is an above average machinist/ lathe hand / CNC machine operator, open minded, and energetic, who can share my vision and interests and invest some capital to help take this business to a higher level. While I have the equipment, products, customers and 30 years of experience in aerospace and military-type (and quality) work, I am more interested in pursuing the product lines that I have been building up over the last 7 to 10 years. I would also be open to new ideas, so if you have a product and capital, but no place to build it, and are willing to work, we could work together. I am located in "upstate" New York, in an area blessed with reasonably low real estate prices, moderate taxes and better-than-fair availability of services, including good local schools as well as two MAJOR universities and two junior colleges within 50 miles. This is a beautiful area, just south of the Finger Lakes, close to recreational venues, like excellent skiing, state parks, etc, and not a bad place to semi-retire, or, raise a family. Serious inquiries would be appreciated. A minimum of $30k investment would be required. Send e-mails only to [email protected], or write to
    R Manufacturing Co.
    Attn: Fred
    570 DuBois Road,
    Owego, NY 13827

NO, This is ABSOLUTELY NOT a personals ad.

Talking

(flame2) Sounds more like a marriage request....30k investment.

On the contrary... if I lived closer I would look into it. Im young and always looking to better my knowledge. Opportunities like that are hard to find in this area

Hmmmmmmmm

Being from the Chicago area, I'd have to be assured that they get SNOW up there :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by x6xtyx9x View Post
    (flame2) Sounds more like a marriage request....30k investment.

On the contrary... if I lived closer I would look into it. Im young and always looking to better my knowledge. Opportunities like that are hard to find in this area
    Hi

You get less for murder

cheers

Hmm. if he gets 100 replies (there are 50000 members here) and asks for 5% of the 30K upfront "to demonstrate commitment" ... and half of those decide to front the cash... that's 75K for nothing.. not bad.

Call me cynical
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Call me cynical

OK... You're cynical

Cool Snow? Oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCutter View Post
    Being from the Chicago area, I'd have to be assured that they get SNOW up there :cheers:
    Oh, yes, we do get snow here. Just last week, we got almost 2 feet of white stuff and had about 3" more last night. I just watched as an avalanche of snow slid off my roof and took down half my rain gutter. (OOOOPS). There's a great ski resort less than 2 hours away, and another about 3 hours away, so snow is not a problem.

Red face Murder?

Quote Originally Posted by FPV_GTp View Post
    Hi

You get less for murder

cheers
    Yes, but 25 to life in a penitentiary machine shop gets dull, dull, dull.

Talking Money for nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    Hmm. if he gets 100 replies (there are 50000 members here) and asks for 5% of the 30K upfront "to demonstrate commitment" ... and half of those decide to front the cash... that's 75K for nothing.. not bad.

Call me cynical
    I don't need anythin "up front". Just bring it with you. That's all the "demonstration" I need. But I do like your math. Hmmmmmm. Maybe I should make this a raffle. Say, $50 a pop, all I'd need is about a thousand entries and.... well maybe not. I think I'll stick to the original plan.
    Fred

Sounds more like a marriage request....30k investment.
    A: I want my own room
    B: I want my own shower
    C: I want my own bank account
    D: I won't stay late

(nuts) :nono: :nono: :nono:
    WILLwork4money

Unhappy Update to the update to the listing

But, seriously, folks. I'm still here and still lonely. Despite the recession, the collapse of the banks, the cutbacks in just about everything, it appears there's a continuing market for my products. No, they don't do anything obscene or illegal, they're toys, really. I just shipped a bunch to Australia, and have orders from Japan and South Africa. Did I mention they're "toys" for big boys? The market is out there, and the demand is building. I still need someone to put some capital into this operation (and the Small Biz people can go perform an obscene act on themselves, thank you very much, been there, won't go there ever again), and a pair of willing and experienced hands to make the job go smoother. With all the retirements, lay-offs, and business closings, isn't there someone out there with the urge to do something different? Just send your name and phone number on the back of a $100.00 bill and I'll get right back to you. Actually, skip the $100 bill and just call me. 607-687-0143, or e-mail to [email protected] ...... Please, don't send any money, just call or e-mail.
    Fred

Fred,
    What part of upstate New York? Oswego, Ithaca, Niagara? I lived in Poughkeepsie about 13yrs ago, loved the area and the history, could live w/out most of the people. My sisters both just moved back there. Alas, were I not in the boat of having lost all my investments in the watershed moments of the stock market implosion, I would have a go. More than a year's salary gone in a matter of months. My nest egg for my own shop. I feel for you man. I'd give you a call, but I'm afraid it'd be for nothing more than a good chin wag.

Talking Location, Location

I live in Owego, a town of about 5000, often confused with Oswego, also Otego, Otsego, Owasco, etc. Durned English settlers didn't do a very good job of deciphering Native American names for places, so many of them sound alike. Owego is located about 20 miles south of the southern tip of Cayuga Lake, the biggest "finger" in the Finger Lakes. That puts me South of Ithaca, West Of Poughkeepsie, and about 5 miles, as the crow flies, from the PA border. Owego is home to Lockheed Federal Systems, where they build the Presidential helicopter fleet (or at least outfit them with their electronics), as well as the largest metal shredding operation in the Northeast. Neither one of which contributes at all to my workload. I do aerospace quality sub-con work for a division of ???????? Aerospace, as well as work for a department of a "Major University" which involves making parts for underwater research equipment and covert surveillance of animals in their natural habitats. Elephants are very camera shy, really! And whales really do "sing" but it doesn't mean anything. Their real communications are at about 10 to 15 hertz, at levels exceeding 110 decibels. With a 3000 mile range, now that's communicating!
    My own products are more prosaic, just outboard drives for R/C racing boats,
    but I have fun making them and, of course, testing them out. See samples at www.lawlessdrives.com. No, I don't make the ZIPPKITS.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fredhh47 View Post
    NO, This is ABSOLUTELY NOT a personals ad.

Oh well...the wife wouldn't have approved it anyway.

:rainfro:

I know Owego. My dad has a place just up 96 on Anderson Hill Rd...you know, where the snowmobile sign is. I read the pennysaver online every week.

I'm in Southern California though.

I was thinking about what you are looking for - are you sure you are looking for a partner with capital? Not a new business plan so you can grow the company to a point where you don't have to be putting in 7 day weeks?

If the business is up and running, why are you looking for capital? I think it would be much more clear if you layed out your monthly output and offered the sell the business. The trick of this is always when it get serious enough for you to open your books, at which point the prospective buyer could balk and use the information to steal your customers. My grandfather said after many years with a partner that anything worth doing is worth doing alone. LOL. Why don't you just hire a competent employee?

David

Fred,

And the world gets a bit smaller. This is Brad Christy AKA Titan Racing Components.

PM sent.

Thanks. Brad.
    Model Machine & Precision LLC

Quote Originally Posted by davereagan View Post
    My grandfather said after many years with a partner that anything worth doing is worth doing alone.
    good advice.

Sounds like you need an apprentice. Trust me, you don't want a partner. Anyone with $30K cash and decent credit would do thier own thing before trying to ride your coat tail. To start a shop with a partner is another story, or to hand off for the purpose of retireing, yes. Otherwise, prepare by digging a deep hole somewhere outside the edge of civilization, trust me.

Anyone with $30K cash and decent credit would do thier own thing before trying to ride your coat tail.
    This thread is a couple of years old, but a interesting topic nonetheless.
    A partnership is a hard thing to do, with many things to consider.
    But just what "do their own thing" is a guy going to with a measly 30 grand? I think a lot of people underestimate the true costs of a established business. Not just all of the big ticket items, or even the unrelenting list of small ticket stuff...but the skill to run all of them..and design, R&D, market and sell the parts.

Oh yea then when everyone else has gone home ya get to mop out the toilets :stickpoke
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12