586,082 active members*
3,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Xylotex > Relay for spindle on/off

Relay for spindle on/off

I want to hook up a relay to control my spindle. Just on/off.
    I am assuming a 5V relay, what kind of amperage rating do I need for the contacts? I use a dremel tool for the spindle, but I dont know how much current it draws. The biggest I can find is 3A, all the rest are 500mA or less.
    Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on how to hook it up?
    co

Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for that,
    Any suggestions on how to hook it up?
    co

Keep in mind that these are printed circuit type and the contacts are usually rated for resistive load, if you intend switching even a dremel, especially switching at full rpm setting, these contacts may not last long, I would go with something a bit heavier rating and terminal type rather than PC type. If you want to get really fancy pick up a surplus solid state type with 5v input and 110vac load. Probabally last you for ever.
    Al

BTW if you do use a coil type relay, don't forget the reverse emf diode across the coil. (typically a 1N4007).

Thank you.
    I have little knowlege about this type of thing and I would like it to work right from the start with no blowing things or me up.
    That link showed none in stock and none on order. I guess a trip to an electrical warehouse might get me what am looking for.
    co

I use Crydom solid-state relay.Take a look at www.stepperworld.com clik on the link extras to see what is it.
    It`s opto-isolated so no risk of blow your board.

Alex

digi-key part #Z193-nd 12volt dc switch contact 110v 15a Relay

Mintz, you got me all excited. Unfortunately that is a 12 volt coil, I need 5V coil.
    I like the shaft couplers at stepperworld, anyone have experience with them? Are they sloppy or tight?
    co

CO, Its looks like you may have to go with a printed circuit type relay after all, I could not find any 5v with terminal connection.
    Omron has a PC type G2R1-DC5 10amp contact, available from Electrosonic for Can$5.10, Electrosonic has an office in montreal.
    Al

Thanks for that.
    co

check with any electronic suppliers around your town i used an NTE RS3-1010-51R SSr 10amp rating origanally started with a dremal but bumped up to a craftsman rotozip copy has like a 5amp rating on the motor used pin 1 for the control with turbocnc you might look on xylos fourm too i think theres some info on it

stepperworld.com,extras page has a relay for $22 is what I use. 5 volt logic will drive it.

Thanks everyone. I have looked a little for info on how to hook it up to the xylotex board, but honestly havent had much time to do it. If I cant source the one mentioned in Montreal I will get the one from stepperworld along with a few of those shaft couplers, anyone used them?
    Was considering just hooking up a switch to the relay on the Z and setting it so when I get to a certain height the motor shuts off or goes on. That way I could have a standard Z height at the end of the run that would shut off the spindle. Much slicker to use the m3 and m5 though.
    co

Well I went to a huge electronics warehouse today and picked up a relay. 5V coil and 125VAC 20A relay.
    Question is, how do I hook it up?
    There are 6 pins on the bottom, 4 on one end and two on the other. I am guessing that the two are the 5V input and the 4 are for the load.
    Anyone give me a bit of guidance on this?
    thanks
    co

yukonho

If you are using Turbocnc, try looking at this site http://www.teilhardo.com/Spindle%20Control.html

I just completed the installation and it works great.

Marv
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0253.jpg