586,121 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Stepped part...How to program

Stepped part...How to program

Attachment 317898
    I have this part I need to program. it is clamped in a vice and leveled along the tan line. There are 2 jacks supporting it below the red and purple dots.
    I am going to the landing where the red dot is and hand facing it, just enough to get a flat surface. About 2/3 of the area will be cut, back to the black line.
    I then set my tool height there without raising or lowering the tool. I then raise the tool up 8.060 and face the area with the green dot. This is a welded part so it has some warpage and the face cant be trusted to be uniform from part to part so I have to start high (about .150) and come down to the correct height.
    XY home is at the yellow circle (for reference).

Question is.....How do I program this to raise 2 inches above the green dot area then move over to face in .040 increments down to 8.060 height? (Hopefully using the red dot area for tool touch off).

It also has 4 holes drilled in it but that is easily overcome after I learn how to face it off.

This is on a HAAS VF3 and MasterCAM x7.

Thanks in advance for the help,
    Yoda

Re: Stepped part...How to program

Darth, in a nutshell, you hand wheel the lower right face flat and set Z0 there. You then have to program the upper left face and cut it flat, then drill the four holes in the upper left face. Sounds pretty straight forward, just use a clearance plane that is above the upper left face and at a safe height. Is this a one off part or something you have to over and over? If it's some kind of production part I would think you could write the program to face the lower right face so you don't have to hand wheel it flat. If you could send the part I could show you how I would approach this. I would think your mastercam dealer could offer up some help. I've sent parts to my dealer for some suggestions in the past with good results. I've used mastercam since V6. Good Luck...

Re: Stepped part...How to program

What level of Mastercam X7 do you have. I would scew the part in MC with holes parallel to Z axis. then you can do 2D HST or 2D ops and a little 3d surfacing for the blends.
    Did you get this done?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .