586,106 active members*
3,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Referencencing Z axis on my 1100 it finds LS and kicks out the onscreen reset

Referencencing Z axis on my 1100 it finds LS and kicks out the onscreen reset

Had always worked OK but this morning when I tried Referencencing the Z axis,

on my 1100....... head goes up..... it finds LS and kicks out the onscreen reset button......

Last week the X axis limit switch failed, got a replacement from Tormach and the x axis switching works OK.

BTW........ the X switch is normally closed and it was taking half an inch of its roller slide movement to open it ....instead of the usual few thous

cant see how todays malfunction could be connected ?

Thanks
    Dave

Re: Referencencing Z axis on my 1100 it finds LS and kicks out the onscreen reset

Found that after a reset I could move Z anywhere I wanted and when it stopped...it kicked out the reset.

Shoving the Z upper switch limit in very hard to full depth of travel "fixed" the problem. Guess I'll be ordering a couple more

limit switches tomorrow........

Reminds me of when years ago driving an old car ,lower ball joint broke .. in front of an auto parts store.

I went in store bought new ball joint and in about two hard hours .....replaced it right there. Driving 5 miles home

as I just pulled into my driveway the lower balljoint on the other side let go......Whew

Thanks
    Dave

Re: Referencencing Z axis on my 1100 it finds LS and kicks out the onscreen reset

I have only had one fail with nearly 8yrs of operation. I do spray the X & Y with WD40 regularly to prevent sticking. Seems that about twice a year they would get a little gummy and sticky if I didn't. They do all work on a normally closed circuit.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I have only had one fail with nearly 8yrs of operation. I do spray the X & Y with WD40 regularly to prevent sticking. Seems that about twice a year they would get a little gummy and sticky if I didn't. They do all work on a normally closed circuit.
    WD40 will leave a brown sticky residue if it is left alone to evaporate; takes months to happen. Whatever the residue is, it's hard to remove. I've gotten very careful about using WD40 on anything where it's not removed and replaced frequently.

I brush debris away then soak each switch with the Amsoil metal protector every month. They are all still going strong on both machines- knock on wood.

Mine did that also. Tormach said I needed to update path pilot, that fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by DLawrence View Post
    Found that after a reset I could move Z anywhere I wanted and when it stopped...it kicked out the reset.

Shoving the Z upper switch limit in very hard to full depth of travel "fixed" the problem. Guess I'll be ordering a couple more

limit switches tomorrow........

Reminds me of when years ago driving an old car ,lower ball joint broke .. in front of an auto parts store.

I went in store bought new ball joint and in about two hard hours .....replaced it right there. Driving 5 miles home

as I just pulled into my driveway the lower balljoint on the other side let go......Whew

Thanks
    Dave
    What ended up fixing this problem???

Axis switches and failures. Not entirely on point to this thread specifically, but relevant.

If I recall correctly, at one time Tormach (or somebody here more likely) recommended using 3M marine silicone sealant on the top edge of the chromed X axis switch cover- all the way across the front of the table. I did that on purchase, and have had no switch problems despite flood coolant. Also used the same sealant (3M 4200 I think it was) on the stand, which was great until I needed to disassemble it.

Regardless. The forum is full of useful hints like this learned from hard experience. New owners, especially of used machines, will find a lot of good advice from back in the earlier days.

I did more or less as Jerry says, sealed the front stainless shield, with silicone so that nothing gets on the limit switches, and over 4 years later no switch problems.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I did more or less as Jerry says, sealed the front stainless shield, with silicone so that nothing gets on the limit switches, and over 4 years later no switch problems.
    I was just wondering what the OP found to solve his problem