586,094 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Step signal generater

Is there a step signal generator that I can build as I m changing the feeds on my mill to ball screws and it will be awhile before I get round to connecting to a computer and will not be able to fit the power feed on the mill once I have fitted the ball screws but I have the stepper motor and stepper motor driver and just want to generate a step signal to give me a simple power feed and for testing

Any Ideas

Thanks Andrew Bishop

If you have access to a waveform generator, talk to an electronics guy, you can use that to make your pulses and it will be super easy.

If not, you can use a 555 timer to generate your step pulses. its available at radio shack and will probably cost around 5-10 bucks for everything you need.
    This should get you there if you are at all electronically inclined.
    http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/K-12/555%20workshop.pdf

If that doesn't help then google "555 square wave generator" and you will get a bunch of hits.

Matt

Look up 555 circuits for astable or square wave generator, there should be lots out there and a 555 is just a few cents.
    And a switch for direction.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

beat ya to it Al

If you just want to see it do something you could wire the 5v through a micro switch and click it as fast as you can.

..more adventurous than that? rub it up and down a comb.

...even more? mount it on a bit of wood with a gear so that it clicks with each tooth as you spin it.

Maybe it would be nice to see an electronic suggestion that could be employed as a jog control. but I cant help there.

edit, those guys can

thanks guys I was hopping I could use a 555 with a varable pot and limmit switches

Andrew Bishop

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbishop66 View Post
    thanks guys I was hopping I could use a 555 with a varable pot and limmit switches

Andrew Bishop
    Yeah, you can use it per posts 2 & 3 .
    If you use a limit swith to limit motion, you may need an overide to Jog back off the limit.
    Al.

Albert E.

You can use a LM566 IC to generate a linear square wave quite easily, but the 566 is obsolete and may be difficult to find. It is a Voltage Controller Oscillator and only need a couple of external components and a pot. A friend and I are working on this at the moment.
    The circuit is shown on the 566 data sheet.

Is there a simple program for a PC that will run steppers to test the whole setup WITHOUT running mach or another cnc controller program ?? IE it will interface with the proper pins in the parallal port to run a stepper or steppers and step motor controllers wired up just like they will be when running mach ??

I see mention of such now and then but no specifics ??

Bill

controlling stepper motor with a parallel port

Hi Willbird.

Have a look at www.electronics-diy-com ,for a stepper motor controller
    via a parallel port. it might be what you are looking for and it is only
    $ 15.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Look up 555 circuits for astable or square wave generator, there should be lots out there and a 555 is just a few cents.
    And a switch for direction.
    Al.
    Would an encoder work as a pulse generator for this situation? With a balanced hand wheel you should be able to spin it pretty fast.

Chris

Probabally would.
    If you use one channel for direction, it would have to be edge triggered input.
    Al.

Albert E.

There was a writeup in Model Engineer's Workshop early '06 issue at the end of a series of articles on CNC install on a small mill drill and they had a few
    paragraphs with pix and ckt for a pendant that generated pulses to move the table a calibrated distance using an encoder and a few chips (nothing needing programming). There were range switches allowing motion from
    0.001" to 1.0" or metric equivalent. You could dial in an exact motion and
    the motor would stepoff until the pulse count equalled what was dialed in.
    Looked like about $75 worth of stuff including the encoder. A switch allowed motion on any axis you had controllers for. Functioned like an inverse DRO,
    you dialed in what you wanted the table to move and the pendent would execute the motion.