586,075 active members*
4,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > Is Imachining really as impressive as it seems?

Is Imachining really as impressive as it seems?

Is Imachining really as impressive as it seems? It claims to be able to reduce cycle times by up to 70% while also lowering tool wear. I'm sure I'm missing something here but this goes completely against my intuition so I'm hoping someone can shed some light onto this. Is what they're claiming true? and if so, how are they able to achieve it?

I also saw this video here where a traditional pocket operation takes 11 minutes but they're able to do it 3 minutes using Imachining, while having almost no tool wear at the end. Can someone explain how that's possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shr7...3n3vfM3JBrzwKg

Thanks!

Re: Is Imachining really as impressive as it seems?

If you compare traditional pocketing vs imachining ! yes it does reduce 70 percent. The basic theory is explained in this video
    https://youtu.be/ZZZaLonCWIQ

It depends, pockets with lots of space like that that are deep definitely machine a lot faster. shallow pockets, or narrow channels, not so much. With many parts I make, I end up combining technologies to get the best outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JFettig View Post
    It depends, pockets with lots of space like that that are deep definitely machine a lot faster. shallow pockets, or narrow channels, not so much. With many parts I make, I end up combining technologies to get the best outcome.
    I notice that I machining at 12000 rpm is always compared to regular much slower, usually about 3000. What is the difference if both are at 12000?
    Dave
    In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

about 10 burned up tools(SS or steels).

Lets say we're talking about aluminum. I usually set up imachining to run about 10400rpm with a 1/2" EM, it'll cut a full 1" or more depth and .100-.150 stepover, usually 150-400IPM depending on the width of cut - which it varies automatically based on chip thickness and power consumption. Regular slotting I'd run it ~100IPM and .25-.5" depth of cut depending. If it isn't a deep cut or its a narrow area, it doesn't always work out to be that much better.

Currently I'm running a 316SS part using a 4fl 1/4" EM, its cutting 1/2" deep, 9200rpm, 45-95IPM stepover is up to .021", it starts small in the ID and gets bigger and faster as it goes out. The part takes 4 minutes to machine and it removes most of the material, lots of tight tolerances and fully machine deburred.