586,094 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Smaller linear rail better than open V wheel

Smaller linear rail better than open V wheel

Hi

I was about to start my build over a 8020 extrusion and look too at the open V wheel, as the OX system cnc. And also on the DualVee system.
    So the question is : Is the precision and overall result will be less VS a linear rail ?

My system, just a 300mm sfu1205 rod with a 2.2kw spindle.

On linear rail, I'm asking for the Hiwin MGM 12 series. Not the HG15 or HG20. Yes I know a HG15 is better and even HG20 will be perfect. But I plan on the open wheel OR the MGM small rail. Is the smaller rail still outperform the open V wheel ? Or even a DualVee system..

Thanks in advance for any tips

Re: Smaller linear rail better than open V wheel

A very biased opinion:
    A linear rail should give you a nice, smooth, straight and accurate movement. It is an engineering solution.
    A V-groove system ... is not an engineering solution.

OK, I know, there are lots of V-groove machines out there. But they just don't have the accuracy of a linear rail.

On the other hand, if what you want is an inexpensive router for woodworking as a hobby, a V-groove might do. It all depends.

Cheers
    Roger

Yes, they should be better. But there are two issues. Small sized rails can be very difficult to work with, and mount properly, due to the very small screws that they use. And second, they are only as good as the installation. They must be mounted perfectly straight, to a perfectly flat surface.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi

Indeed I haven't specified, but yes, it's mostly for few used per month let say..
    I intend to cut mostly 1/4 mdf and soft foam of 4inch thick. Of course, the rail HGR15 could be best. MGN09 is quite too small, but found the MGN12 might be a good fit. That might give a bit better result vs V-wheel system. And I will bolt it to the 8020 channel with small spacer under each track hole. Or even a small plate all along the track.

At least, The eccentric shouldn't be needed to adjust every time. Is my approach is good or the rail might be a bit thin and as Ger21 said I might get an alignment problem ? Alignment, that v-wheel will not give me.. ?

Also, on the bigger BWC dualVee, is the eccentric adjuster need to be "adjusted" the same as the small open v-wheel ?

Thanks again appreciated

I am hopelessly biased and I don't know enough about V-wheel systems to comment further.
    If you are only cutting 1/4" MDF and foam, the forces won't be huge. It may be that the 8020 will be strong enough for the rails.
    Small spacers under the rails - I would prefer not myself. But then, if the 8020 was bent I would return it.

Cheers
    Roger

On my 3d printer, I used 600mm long MGN12 guides mounted on 25mmX50mm Misumi extrusions. I made full length tnuts out of .125" thick aluminum bar which fit tightly in the slots. The forces on a delta 3d printer are much smaller than on a router, but the MGN12 guides should be strong enough for your application. Misumi will also mill the surface(s) of the extrusion. I haven't looked at their prices lately, but they were quite a bit less expensive than 8020 when I built my printer.

I think from a price-performance standpoint the LM rails wind, hands down. The V-bearings and rails seem a bit expensive at the sizes I would use for a wood cutting machine. there are companies like Automation Overstock and Motion Constrained that sell surplus HiWin rails, look around....