586,416 active members*
3,838 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Job I just finished using Bobart

Job I just finished using Bobart

I had dabbled a little in Bobart but didnt really know my way around it. Took this job on and by the time I was done I got to know it pretty well! It can be a really cool tool that I will use more in the future and not just for artsy stuff like this.

These are bar stool backs for Zippo Lighter. I have a friend that is redoing some office space for them and came to me with this project. They wanted their 3 best selling branded Zippos made into these Bar stool backs. I will say, as tricky as it was doing the embossing and all that, hollowing out the back side was probably the hardest and most stressful part because I had no good way to hold on to them and I was getting them thinned out as much as possible so the stools were no too top heavy. Got them down to about 6 pounds from the 40# piece of stock I started with.

Another thing I became really familiar with and quite fond of is using Project Curves 3D Feature. Can really make it do some nice tool paths and for whatever reason it seems to compute way faster then a z-level or a planar path.

Its hard to see all the detail in the pics, hard to get good pics of shiny stuff. There are Zippos in the pics for size reference.

Thanks for looking!

Re: Job I just finished using Bobart

Nice,,,,
    I don't know if you were one at the beginning have problems
    but
    Yeah,,,SEE,,,for the money BoB works fine with a little time to learn the software
    Like the Hammered look

Beandiesel

That's just dam awesome, great work

WOW, Nice Job!!! Those look amazing!!!
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Nice!

Really, Really Nice!
    Good Job!

- Nick

What was the base material. I'm assuming aluminum??
    Great job!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    What was the base material. I'm assuming aluminum??
    Great job!
    Bill
    Just T6 6061 bar. And the JD medallion is Brass.

Speaking of that brass piece was not supposed to be on there, that was where I was pocketing out the back and a 1" flat bottom drill went all the way through it after I had worked on them for 45hrs straight without sleep. Just a tip, if you cop and paste drill features you must open them up and make sure you open the feature back up and check the tool and depths if you originally "unchecked" the "System Tool" and "Cutting Conditions" check boxes. When I copied and pasted it it automatically re-checked those boxes essentially changing my drill depth. So came up with that silhouette of Jack to cover the hole up and wound up looking pretty good.

That musta hurt! I hope your over it now but having video of the shop at that moment would have been priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    That musta hurt! I hope your over it now but having video of the shop at that moment would have been priceless.
    Uhhhg, you have no idea. After working that long I was feeling pretty sprite and bouncing around pretty decent right up until that happened. That just took all the steam and adrenaline I was working on right out of me. A video would not have been very exciting, was like someone just shot me in the head, just slumped down in my chair in disbelief. I tried to go on to the next part but I could no longer function so I went home and slept for like 12 hrs before coming back. I was trying to meet a deadline with them, they had some big shareholder meeting or something that they wanted them for to show off. I didnt make it though obviously.

You did a great job though... They must have been stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    You did a great job though... They must have been stoked!
    They have not made it to Zippo yet, they are getting upholstered now and attached to the stools. So hopefully they will have them the first of next week and I hope they like them! I will post some pics of of them once they get they get finished as part of the stools. I am anxious to see that myself.

Beautiful job, a credit to you and your effort in learning the software well enough to turn out work like that

Regards
    Rob

WOW - that's some truly sweet work. Kinda wish I had chances to do cool stuff like that instead of holes and the like.

Here are the finished pics I got. Not bad. Wish I was baller enough to have a bar in my office LOL.