586,094 active members*
3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Haas VF5-XT Column Squaring

We recently purchased a used 2012 VF5/50 XT. The previous owner had a crash and the machine was out of square from X-Y and from Z-X. We were able to square X-Y by adjusting the linear rails, but we are not quIte sure how to square the Z-X. While running in indicator up and down a cylindrical square, the Z is out about .005" per foot in the X direction. We checked the Z Axis rails with shim to see if they were up against the shoulders machined in the casting and it appears they are. Does this mean the whole column is out of square? Any Ideas on how to square this thing properly?

Attachment 319698

Re: Haas VF5-XT Column Squaring

We discovered some twist in the leveling. It looks good both directions when the table is on center, but it twists when jogging the table to one side or the other. Going to re-level the machine and see if that corrects this.

Is it bolted down to the floor, or just sitting there? I know you can "tweak" cast iron frames by clamping each corner down to ensure it tightly contacts the leveling pad. Also a large block in the middle of the frame while clamping the ends of the frame can make it stand up straighter.

Also, have you called Haas? They may be able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction.

It is just sitting on pads not anchored. We ended up getting it straightened out. I was surprised the leveling could make that much of a difference. It is w/in about .0005" on the square now. I am curious to see if it will stay good over time or if it will settle seeing as how it is not bolted to the floor. The floor is new also so that may settle over time.

Quote Originally Posted by beezerlm View Post
    It is just sitting on pads not anchored. We ended up getting it straightened out. I was surprised the leveling could make that much of a difference. It is w/in about .0005" on the square now. I am curious to see if it will stay good over time or if it will settle seeing as how it is not bolted to the floor. The floor is new also so that may settle over time.
    I would certainly check it again after 6 and 12 months time. Sooner if you notice any issues. Glad it was an easy fix for you.