586,096 active members*
3,611 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: cnc router

cnc router

Hello everybody,

i am peter 28 from belguim.

first i would like to say sorry for the bad english.

For 5 years i have worked with a cnc machine, and i would like to build my own for my company.

The design i would like to make is very simple and cheap ,but still a a very good machine, a machine that cuts strait and 90 ° etc .

i know this maybe difficult that is why i need your guidence.

The machine would be 3000 mm on 1500 mm ,so that i can rout :MDF plates,cabinet doors and maybe some solid surface like corian etc.

i would make the frame etc out of metal, i am now following a welding class
    so very soon i will be able to weld a frame .

i was thinking of using this type of design :

is this good to use flat ball bearings and a rack&pinion?

also what type of motor's ,rack&pinion would i best use for this?

or do u have other ideas pleas let me know.

Re: cnc router

I recommend spending a few months reading through all the build threads here to get an idea of what others are doing.

No, I would not recommend that design. That's a plasma machine, which has very different requirements from a router.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by peter28 View Post
    Hello everybody,

i am peter 28 from belguim.

first i would like to say sorry for the bad english.
    No problem, your English is fine for here.

For 5 years i have worked with a cnc machine, and i would like to build my own for my company.

The design i would like to make is very simple and cheap ,but still a a very good machine, a machine that cuts strait and 90 ° etc .
    Cheap and a good machine don't usually go together.
    i know this maybe difficult that is why i need your guidence.

The machine would be 3000 mm on 1500 mm ,so that i can rout :MDF plates,cabinet doors and maybe some solid surface like corian etc.
    That is a big machine to start with. Big machines work against your desire to be cheap. I'm not sure what the standard for sheet goods is over there but if the focus is sheet goods you will want a machine that slightly exceeds sheet size on both the X and Y axis.
    i would make the frame etc out of metal, i am now following a welding class
    so very soon i will be able to weld a frame .
    Do realize that a welded frame requires a post welding machining effort and stress relieving befor that can be a good idea. While I would recommend a welded steel frame on a machine this size, do not think for a minute that it will be cheap to produce the frame.

i was thinking of using this type of design :

is this good to use flat ball bearings and a rack&pinion?
    I wouldn't consider that at all. To get high quality work you have a mechanically stiff machine.
    also what type of motor's ,rack&pinion would i best use for this?

or do u have other ideas pleas let me kn

Hi Peter,
    I'll second Gerry's advice to take a few months and read this forum. You know what you are looking for (ie, the size and what you want to cut). Start reading and bookmarking the builds that meet this criteria. Then go over these again. A machine this size will not be cheap and resale on CNC parts is not really that good.

Have you looked at CNC router Parts website?
    CNCRouterParts
    They have plans you can download.

I recomnend First Write down your Requirements Speed Cut capabilities repeatability like 0.5 mm or Bettler Type of Motor and Then Read Here in the Forum maybe have a Look to damencnc they are Close to you ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

i know this design is for a plasma cutter ,but in the netherlands a guy sells cnc plasma and cnc routers that look a lot like this one.

plus i find this design looks pretty simple.

CNC Frees - Grotius

he uses the following
    steppermotors :3x 12 Nm with 3x 230Volt drivers (Drivers 8.3 Ampere 240Volt)
    rack & pinion module 1 and a very small gear i think its 22
    no reduction just the gear strait on the pinion.

and with cheap i mean the following ,

i already email a company here and they said to make a machine like the one i want it will be aroud 30000 €
    if i could make this machine for 3000€ give or take i would be very happy .

but 30000 this is wayy out of my budget,that is why i want to keep the design simple and in metal because then i can weld it my self. then i only need to buy the metal witch i guess would be around 200€
    the steppenmotors etc that i don't know what will cost ,but my father is a electrician and i don't think that wiring this will be a problem for him.

the standaard sheet is about 2440x1220 MDF ,the bigger 3050x1300 plates i was thinking to go 3300 x 1500 in total .so that i don't have a problem with the big cheets .
    and yes i have checked the cncrouterparts site very interesting but stil i wonder could i use those plans and change them to my size of cnc?

anyway i will check a lot of this forum any idee wich topic's i could chose best?

thx

Peter

Cool looking machine, but it seems like there would be a tiny bit of sag in the middle of that gantry. Maybe not enough to be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by peter28 View Post
    i know this design is for a plasma cutter ,but in the netherlands a guy sells cnc plasma and cnc routers that look a lot like this one.

plus i find this design looks pretty simple.

CNC Frees - Grotius

he uses the following
    steppermotors :3x 12 Nm with 3x 230Volt drivers (Drivers 8.3 Ampere 240Volt)
    rack & pinion module 1 and a very small gear i think its 22
    no reduction just the gear strait on the pinion.

and with cheap i mean the following ,

i already email a company here and they said to make a machine like the one i want it will be aroud 30000 €
    if i could make this machine for 3000€ give or take i would be very happy .

but 30000 this is wayy out of my budget,that is why i want to keep the design simple and in metal because then i can weld it my self. then i only need to buy the metal witch i guess would be around 200€
    the steppenmotors etc that i don't know what will cost ,but my father is a electrician and i don't think that wiring this will be a problem for him.

the standaard sheet is about 2440x1220 MDF ,the bigger 3050x1300 plates i was thinking to go 3300 x 1500 in total .so that i don't have a problem with the big cheets .
    and yes i have checked the cncrouterparts site very interesting but stil i wonder could i use those plans and change them to my size of cnc?

anyway i will check a lot of this forum any idee wich topic's i could chose best?

thx

Peter

I don't think that machine will do what you want. The video on there page shows a very shallow cut at a pretty low speed. I think you would get a lot of chatter/bounce, and wouldn't be happy with the results. If your good with metal work I think this is what you should be aiming for Is this machine.

With patience and lots of searching, you could probably build a machine like this in the size you need for $5k - $7k add about $3k for a good used industrial spindle. If your not prepared to spend that much money Unless your requirements are pretty low, you'll probably be disappointed.

well its bean about a good month i have being very busy

now i made a drawing in sketchup its a little bit based on the machine posted

its just a simple design, nothing already in drawed in detail i was thinking that i could draw it like this and then i could modify the drawing.
    would it be ok if i used ball bearing in the design or not because this seems to be the most easy way and then i would also use rack & pinion

i have also decided that the machine does not need to go super fast just accured

somebody told me that making a long gantry and 2 shorter x acess the machine would be cheaper then a short gantry and 2 long x ass Attachment 323520

Perhaps a frame design like that would be a little cheaper, since the rails and screws driving the gantry would be shorter (although those driving the Y axis would have to be longer), but it won't work as well as a more conventional design, where the gantry spans the short side of the table rather than the long one. The problem is that the gantry would have to be much stouter than a short one to avoid flexing. This would make it a lot heavier, and require more torque from the motors to move it around. So, more inertia, bigger motors, more powerful drives - I don't think you'd save any money at all by the time you were done. There are good reasons all these gantry routers tend to look similar to one another.

Rack and pinion drives make a lot of sense for long travels, where a leadscrew would tend to whip if it wasn't the thick (and expensive) type. I'm not sure what you meant by "ball bearing" - did you mean "ball screw"?
    Andrew Werby
    Website