586,077 active members*
3,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

building my own machine

Hi everyone !
    I am a cnc operator for a high end bathroom cabinet company, im working on a thermwood 5x10 unit with a vacuum table and atc

Id like to have my own cnc, did lots of reading in the past few but still havemt really made my choice on what im going to build...im willing to put around 2k budget for it...i dont have any business for the moment but id like to start one in the future...having the capacity to cut 4x8 would be nice but i could go smaller if i can upgrade in the future

Re: building my own machine

Budget seems low to me I built a machine on a budget and got 700x450 for around a £1000 using cheaper supported rails rather than H win if eventually for use in a professional capacity I would say minimum you need to double your budget and go for work area of 8x4' from outset.

That budget is extremely tough no matter what avenue you take if you want a sheet size machine. That is one able to work 4x8 sheets.

Instead consider a smaller machine, but do realize that on a $2000 budget it won't even come close to matching what you do daily on a Thermwood. This may be your biggest problem building a machine that meets your expectations based on experience with a commercial machine. If you do a high quality machine, with a 24" square work area, you may be able to meet your budget if your scrounging skills are good. I would suggest building a sound basic structure that allows for spindle upgrades and so forth later down the road. As it is $2000 won't go far if you need to buy most of the hardware, however if you build a sound frame it can server your needs and allow for upgrades down the road.

The real question is what do you have in the way of shop tools or access to tools? In the end the more of the build you can DIY, the greater your chances of being able to at least come close too your budget.

Hey thanks for the reply...i know i wont be able to duplicate the work of the thermwood since ita a 100k+$ machine
    What i would like is to get started with my own cnc, they're isnt much tool i can use so i was maybe thinking about gettting a ox cnc kit ive seen a mecanical kit for a 1000x1500 going for 945$ us shipped on aliexpress
    Id still have to figure the electronic part...dont know if it would be a good start and planning on upgrading to rack and pinion and stiffer y axis beam down the road

I looked at all the options and then decided to build my own aluminium frame with very little machining just lots of drilling and tapping after buying materials cut to size where possible and cutting 5083 on standard wood chop saw with fine tooth tungsten blade, I used 6x4x1/4" ali box on side rails and 20-30mm plate only a 750x450 build as no room for bigger but with electrics vfd and spindle supported rails etc 1605 ballscrews came in at under £1000 for a solid machine that eats aluminium at least as well if not better than my mini mill.

Do you have a link to ypur build ?

My self build 8x4 set me back £7000 with another £4000 planned work yet to go into it. But it was £7000 well spent As frame is good. I would have hated to have spent half that found that if it wasn't rigid enough it would have ment a complete redesign.

I had an ox, it cut all of 30 parts before I found it wasn't worth the stock material it was capable of making a meal out of.

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Spec View Post
    Do you have a link to ypur build ?
    Not great deal of detail but its on here

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ild-cheap.html

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    Not great deal of detail but its on here

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ild-cheap.html
    Came out great ! For sure it must be better than a ox, i wouldnt using a real linear guides like hiwin. Are those pieces all aluminum ? Did you drill hole in y axis beam and tap them afterwards to fix them to thw side plates ?

I wont buy the ox cnc kit...ill do my own build like most of the people here, im gonna go with the hiwins linear rails, rack and pinion on x and y axis and ballscrew for z axis
    Proabably start with nema23 motors and for the spindle i want some powerfull enough with a er20 collet...now i guess i should makes some plans but i have no idea where to start

Today iordered a 2 set of hiwin linear rail 1 1500mm for x axis and 1 1000mm for y axis, im looking at wich gear rack and pinion im gonna go with and im gonna work on the design of the machine!

Received my hiwin rail they're expensive but i think they worth every penny ! Now im gonna order cncrouter part pro rack and pinion system for nema 23 stepper motor

Got my pro rack and pinion kit from cncrouterpars
    If everything go well with my design im gonna cut parts
    At work this week

Looking at tb6600 unit
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261990366479
    And gonna shop for some nema 23 stepper

Dont go with tb6600 , instead get dm542 , with nema23, more usable , and modular concept .
    Try for controller an offline cnc control is about 160 $ on ebay .

Look at the M542T driver at stepperonline. Good price. I've not had mine but just a short time so I can't tell you how they'll hold up in the long run. 24-50v and up to 4.5A.

2/4 phase Nema 23 Stepper Motor Driver 24-50VDC 1.5A-4.5A 256 Microstep M542T|US054|Stepper Motor Drivers

Thanks for the advice...after reading some more on the tb6600
    I wont be getting this one. Probably gonna pull the trigger on a leadshine mx3660 instead...i didnt cheap out on other component so wont on electronic

Stepper motor should be these but im not sure if it will be ok for the z axis or will it be too big
    http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/nema-23/nema-23-three_eighths-inch-dual-shaft-with-a-flat-570-oz-in

Ive finished my drawing on paper but im trying to do it in sketchup and im having a hard time understanding how to do it...i guess ill watch more tutorial to help me out with this

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Spec View Post
    Ive finished my drawing on paper but im trying to do it in sketchup and im having a hard time understanding how to do it...i guess ill watch more tutorial to help me out with this
    Venturing into cnc, sketchup has very limited value once you have the machine running if any. My advice would be to learn fusion 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon.N.CNC View Post
    Venturing into cnc, sketchup has very limited value once you have the machine running if any. My advice would be to learn fusion 360.
    I download fusion 360 since they have a free 30 days trial...ive managed to do to the base of my machine but thats it for now, it was really time consuming since im a newbie to cad drawing and fusion 360...watched some tutorial it gave me some help but i still think theyres huges improvement to be done for me

ive ordered some more part like the m5 bolts and tnut to fix the linear rails
    got some nylon screw and pogo pin to fab my limit/home swith like this guy is using
    https://youtu.be/vB_Q-azidVU
    got my nema23 570 oz motor so i can start assembling my cncrouterpart pro rack and pinion kit
    i did order my power supply and my 3 axis control board so ill have every part i need to put everything together beside the spindle w
    but i dont have the money for that yet

did cut the table top im gonna use to put the machine on its 46 inch x 66 inch, gonna work on the base and do a shelf underneath so i can put some stuff if i need

Page 1 of 2 12