586,119 active members*
3,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Patriot VFD/Shopmaster/Shopetask

Patriot VFD/Shopmaster/Shopetask

This a might be a bit long winded.........

I would like to weigh in here on the subject of customer service, quality control, and some of the issues that I have read in this forum. I need to start out by saying that I am not a machinist or a tool and die guy. I am a ceramics designer working in this field for 45 years and needed to broaden my knowledge base so I could stay current in my field.

I have a 2015 Patriot VFD with all the bells and whistles. I upgraded from an older Eldorado Bridgemill. I have excellent mechanical skills and ability and consider myself quite tool literate.If I wanted a Bridgeport or an engine lathe and I had the space as well as funding, I might have considered 2 separate machines. For my applications, the the Patriot VFD is perfect. I would agree that these machines are not totally 100% perfect, Burt they are damn close to that, and anyone with some tools and mechanical sense can bring these machines up to spec with a small bit of time and effort.

This machine does all I need and more. I did do some upgrades, adding a Shars 8" 3 jaw chuck as well as a better AXA tool holder. I scrapped the small single axis cross slide and machined a block of aluminum to the correct height and secured with 2 T nuts and then mounted the AXA tool post. I removed some of the sheet metal shrouding as vibration noise kept getting worse. I keep the gibbs adjusted and everything lubricated, I tighten any hardware whenever I can.

Please understand that I am not a machinist. I have taught myself how to use this machine and all the basic operations that I need to machine prototypes and parts. While in the beginning I guess I knew enough to be dangerous, but I am not dangerous now and have a solid knowledge base, as acquired by reading and watching You-Tube.

But to the real nitty gritty....I had a defective lathe motor, it over heated, shorted out, and toasted the VFD and relay. I received excellent customer support via email and phone from John Taylor, and ultimately replaced the motor, installed a new Now-Forever VFD and relay. Other then needing a 5th hand or hands to deal with the weight of the new motor and drilling a few additional mounting holes, the machine is now running perfectly. It just took time, patience, and perseverance to do the retrofit, check and make sure all the wiring was correct.

For my needs, and the operative phrase is "my needs" this is a great machine. The service from John Taylor was prompt and courteous. My experience certainly exceeded expectations, and I think I'll go make some chips.

Respectfully, from Denver, Jonathan1633

Re: Patriot VFD/Shopmaster/Shopetask

Wow, sounds great!

sounds like a good sales pitch. So you added a 8" chuck did you move the limit switches? Everything you have stated relates to the lathe. How does the mill perform? We would like to see some of the work you do on it.

Hello:

To answer your post, I installed a 6" Shars 3 jaw chuck, not an 8". My mistake, sorry. No problems with limit switches, in fact, no problems with anything, I did have a defective lathe motor and JT replaced it no cost to me.

I am attaching some images for you...a new tool post holder for my AXA, and 1 of four legs to hold a piece of tempered glass for some of my art pieces as an installation. I have not yet parted off the top and bottom that I am using to secure the piece in the chuck and tailstock, nor have I drilled, counter-bored, or tapped the hole in the top for a socket head cap-screw to secure the glass

As a sidebar, I am not a trained machinist at all, but have taught myself what I need to know. The most important thing I have learned so far, is that good quality cutting tools make all the difference in what you are making!