586,058 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > problem "lag" on k40 speed slows down on some lines engraving halftones image

problem "lag" on k40 speed slows down on some lines engraving halftones image

hi, i'm a newbie, it's about two weeks that i work on a k40.

i engraved and cutted a lot of things and now i'm attempting to engrave an halftone photo.. i've done it with photoshop.. the first attempts were good.. and with no problems.. now since the 5th or 6th attempt the machine started to lag on some lines.. it goes ahead or comes back at.. approx. 10mm/sec while it should do all the work at 500..

i don't thing it's something about speed even if at slower speeds it happens less frequently.. but the first 4 attempts gone fine at 500mm/s so it cannot depend on it..

i neither think it depends on the image, again because the first 4 attempts were made with the same photo in the same place and of the same size..

so i don't know what to think.. maybe i set something wrong in the engraving page for mistake,.

has this problem ever happened to anyone?

please make me know asap! thanks

this is a video of the issue (the laser is deactivated from the switch)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9...jEzU0U/preview

Re: problem "lag" on k40 speed slows down on some lines engraving halftones image

The controllers ued in the K40's are just crap.
    Without the possibility to use base64 encoding image engravings will need massive amounts of Gcode and especially at higher speeds the controller can't cope it.
    A few factors come together though:
    Dongle communication, USB transfer, buffer, timers....
    There no info at all on the actual CPU used but I have to assume it is only a 8bit CPU, which means with 500mm/s you are well over the pysical capabilities for engaving.
    The highest I could do reliable with the original controller was around the 350 mark but even there I had missing bits in lines or line shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    The controllers ued in the K40's are just crap.
    Without the possibility to use base64 encoding image engravings will need massive amounts of Gcode and especially at higher speeds the controller can't cope it.
    A few factors come together though:
    Dongle communication, USB transfer, buffer, timers....
    There no info at all on the actual CPU used but I have to assume it is only a 8bit CPU, which means with 500mm/s you are well over the pysical capabilities for engaving.
    The highest I could do reliable with the original controller was around the 350 mark but even there I had missing bits in lines or line shifting.
    hi, thank you for the reply, but is i mentioned.. i already worked at that speed without any problem at all.. so it's not over the physical cababilities..

Re: problem "lag" on k40 speed slows down on some lines engraving halftones image

Just because it works sometimes does not make the controller any better.
    There are noption to tweak, nothinh to check and that is the problem - you don't even get error messages that would help you.
    Once the buffer is overflowing the machine must slow down to keep up.
    There is a reason why only a few people keep using the original controllers for these lasers....

At 500mm/s or 30000mm/min your are on the limit of even good 32bit processors, like the Due.
    Add the changing power levels into the calculation and you get a good estimation on how fast the CPU needs to work.
    For this all steps per sec are counted incl. the power levels - I simply doubt that chinese hardware is fast enough no matter how often it worked for you.