586,104 active members*
3,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: interface?

interface?

hi folks. any help with this one? machine is a vm20 with centurion7. buttons on panel that work are the flood air mist single block option stop. light will come on and function will work when button is pushed. buttons that are no responding are CTS auger and wash down and auxiliary. the button will not light up or perform the function. MDI will not turn these functions on either. they can be turned on by the relays. when i realized all this going on i checked fuses and milltronics walked me through testing the relays and power supplies and all looked good. i later noticed that the door key was missing. i called milltronics again(those guys gotta be sick of me) and asked about getting a door switch key only to find out the switch in there is made by SICK. milltronics said they haven't used that in 20 years. they recommended one to me. i still just decided to call SICK and order a key hoping it would fix the problem. the key is not here yet. dad stopped by and help checked the switch. before we bypassed the key we tested the switch. the switch is opening and closing. we manually opened and closed the switch and still nothing on the front panel was working. the indicator on the diagnosis view in MDI is not responding to the switch being manually triggered either. we put the switch back together and mounted it. now it gets funky. the door switch parameter is set to no. i also noticed the spindle on with door open parameter is set to yes. may i remind you there is no key in the switch and hasn't been for at least a week.when i reverse these 2 parameters to yes and no. the machine still runs and this spindle comes on with the door open. everything on my machine was functioning prior to me noticing the key was missing. this very well still could be an interface problem, but before i spend 2600 bux i am trying to be as certain as possible. id not think i can install a new interface and they return it because it wasn't the problem. or can i? I'm trying not to wear out my welcome at milltronics so i thought i would ask y'all for any ideas. I'm not good at all with electrical.

Re: interface?

For safety reasons, there may be a check in the Hex files that won't allow the auger relays to activate if the control doesn't see an input from the Door switch on the Axis2in9 (Yin9) pin.

Older controls use 0vdc (ground) as the I/O signals (newer ones use +24vdc for the I/O) so the Door-Open switch sends the correct signal to the input pin and the control allows the outputs to fire the relays.

For DIAGNOSTIC purposes only, you could ground (or supply 24vdc to) the Yin9 input pin and verify the Y axis displays the signal in the Display-Diag Y Axis screen.
    If you see the input change from a 0 to a 1 (or a dark dot to a white dot) when you supply the signal, the interface is passing the signal to the control. If not, you need to get the interface repaired.

If it changes, you can then try the Auger button to see if the Auger and Wash-down outputs change. If they do, check to see if the relays fire. If they do but the auger doesn't run, check fuses 18a,18b,and 18c. (The wash-down pumps are supplied by the 17a,c,d and f fuses.)

When you are finished with your testing, remember to remove the jumper wire, or re-connect the door switch correctly, to maintain the safety features of the machine.

Good luck with it.

Re: interface?

thanx for the reply. i got the key to the door. no luck. still leading to the interface. think im going to just order it. im waiting for help with checking that grounding the ypin. now that you mentioned pins on the zinput it has had a wire hanging out of it an will not go all the way into the port. port 11 is where is should go as i was told. here is an image of it. i was told this went to the key on the control to lock parameter editing. i may not have understood that correctly but they also said it was not the cause of the problem.