586,308 active members*
3,577 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > How to load files from Thumb Drive on Cent 6

How to load files from Thumb Drive on Cent 6

I'm trying to help a friend who is looking at purchasing a Partner 1 that has been upgraded to the SBC Centurion 6 control. My older machine only has floppy or RS232 for communication, but this machine has a thumb drive. I sent him a program to test the machine, and we can't seem to load the program, can someone detail the method for loading a program into this control from the Thumb drive for me?

Thanks!

Re: How to load files from Thumb Drive on Cent 6

brian this is Jeremy I have created my account and I just want to say thank for all of your help I really do appreciate it.

Hi Jeremy,

Keep watch here and see if we get a reply. I wish I had manuals for the newer control, you could probably find the procedure in them.

If this is a floppy emulator drive, the memory stick must be formatted with the software intended to create the 1.44 Mb partition(s) that the emulator (and DOS) will recognize.

If you don't have that software, send me a PM with your e-mail address, I can get it to you.

Are you able to save a text file from the machine to the thumb drive? Most drives on cent 6 machine are floppy emulators that require the thumb drive to be formatted to 1.44 MB. If you are able to save a program it could be the wrong file extension. Try O0001. Instead of O0001.txt. It is important that nothing is after the period when saving the file to the thumb drive. You will also need to select the all files type when saving.

Quote Originally Posted by newman55598 View Post
    Are you able to save a text file from the machine to the thumb drive? Most drives on cent 6 machine are floppy emulators that require the thumb drive to be formatted to 1.44 MB. If you are able to save a program it could be the wrong file extension. Try O0001. Instead of O0001.txt. It is important that nothing is after the period when saving the file to the thumb drive. You will also need to select the all files type when saving.
    I'm not 100% on this because we aren't there what I do know is when he sticks the thumb drive in and selects ram I think he said he can then select the file and the read out of the code shows on the screen however he can't make it active?? Brian tried walking him through this over the phone for me last night but nothing Brian told him to do worked, I do know that thumb drive hasn't been formatted like Zzzz said so that may be the problem, ZZZZ Also said that the only thing updated is the screen, he said it's actually a 5 with a 6 screen and that the usb looks to be an emulator I think is what he said.. SOOO if you see the post I made above this post I am the OP asking for help on buying the machine go check out the photos I uploaded and tell me what you think.. Thanks again for the help fellas..

I'm used to uploading using an RS232 cable so the process is Utilities, RS232, Receive, then you type the program number and send from the PC. I don't know what the process is for the upload from a thumb drive.... that's kind of what my question is.

Hi Brian, It will depend on the type of floppy emulator you have, What one are you using?
    If I can make an assumption, It is for the guy looking to buy the P1 D /E machine??? The pictures he posted has a "Milltronics" emulator. It will be formatted at a "FAT 16" drive. one thumb drive = 1 floppy disk ( 1.44MB) It is particular about the type of thumb drive it uses. Try 2Gb drives or less USB 2 compatible,
    Windows will not format a drive as Fat 16 unless it is I believe 2GB or less, as DOS does not recognize drive larger then 2GB.

With "My emulator" (not "henco" in china) the thumb drive gets formatted for 100 floppy sectors. It comes with a drive, software, instructions and support.

I also have a program to allow zipping a file to a floppy or a "floppy sector" on a thumb drive and then unzipping it directly in the Milltronics control. A floppy will hold about a 4.8Mb zipped file.
    very useful for medium size cam programs. This program requires a SBC or hard drive as the Milltronics "Simdisk" will not hold that much info.

For more info PM me. ( yes , I did clean up my CNC zone inbox)

Sportybob

Yes, this is for "usmcdevildog" and you know more than I from the pictures. My suggestion to him is to MDI the program in and see if it runs. The seller has never run the machine other than jogging and MDI, so doesn't know the procedure and doesn't have the proper things, thumb drives and software.

Just for my own education, I see a Ethernet cable port on the floppy emulator. Could they just hook up an RJ45 cable and then using software on the PC, I use One DNC from the ONE CNC folks myself. But then is it just send thru the RS232 option in the machine?

I ran an ethernet cable from the PC in the back, up to the control pendant, installed a RJ45 port on the side of my pendant and then built an adapter from RJ45 to DB9 to go on the back of the computer. This way I don't have to wander around behind the machine to upload and download my programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
    Yes, this is for "usmcdevildog" and you know more than I from the pictures. My suggestion to him is to MDI the program in and see if it runs. The seller has never run the machine other than jogging and MDI, so doesn't know the procedure and doesn't have the proper things, thumb drives and software.

Just for my own education, I see a Ethernet cable port on the floppy emulator. Could they just hook up an RJ45 cable and then using software on the PC, I use One DNC from the ONE CNC folks myself. But then is it just send thru the RS232 option in the machine?

I ran an ethernet cable from the PC in the back, up to the control pendant, installed a RJ45 port on the side of my pendant and then built an adapter from RJ45 to DB9 to go on the back of the computer. This way I don't have to wander around behind the machine to upload and download my programs.

hi Brian, The RJ45 on the drive is to interconnect other "drives". Ready " drives with additional $900 interface. "KLUGEY" way to do things.

yes you can rewire the RS232 to a RJ45 connector, but tat is all it is , Just a rewire not a protocol change.

Sportybob

HI Brian call me, 952-288-6340

Ok so it looks like I'm going up Wednesday to pick her up, I'm gonna add a few videos he had to hire someone to come over and show him how to get it going and they did get Brians program to transfer and run, so here's the videos.. Tell me what you fellas think

Quote Originally Posted by usmcdevildog View Post
    Ok so it looks like I'm going up Wednesday to pick her up, I'm gonna add a few videos he had to hire someone to come over and show him how to get it going and they did get Brians program to transfer and run, so here's the videos.. Tell me what you fellas think
    It won't let me attach the video but here's a screenshot of the part I don't know if it's 100% complete but it looks good to me and the milltronics guy he hired said it was below a half thou