586,075 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > how to create code with inkscape

how to create code with inkscape

last night i was farting around with inscape and i was checking out the different file types it puts out
    when i created , saved and opened the tex file with my editor it shows positions
    this is what ive modified to create gcode

replace all

( x
    , y
    curveto g1
    lineto g1
    moveto g0
    close g0 (z retract)
    ) ;

the z movements need to be edited in where needed ,

i still have to figure this out a little better ,but overall it s pretty straight forward
    free alternative for someone who can t afford cad/cam ,just need to work a little for it thats all

worked quite well with some of the bitmaps i converted to dxf then saved to tex

heres an example , not your typical code nor completed but it works ,

any ideas on how to space out the eob would be appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Smile Fixed the broken link above

Hi Guys,

I'm the person who runs the website linked to above. I posted that page in 2004/2005, but it hasn't been up for a long time. I moved my website to google Sites, and it doesn't allow me to specify the page names ending with ".html". I have reposted the content of the original web page on exporting from inkscape to a DXF file, then from the DXF file I created G-code using matlab.

I have reposted the same page, but now it is located at a new page:
    Hacking my Kingston USB Flash Drive - Esmonde-White.com

I also posted the matlab script I used to read the DXF file and write the G-code file. Note: This will bring the mill head to Z= +0.65 for travelling, and Z = 0 for cutting, probably not the default positions you might expect. Also, the DXF file coordinates are expected in millimeters, and they will be converted to inches for the G-code output. This script could easily be translated into R, java, or another language if there is a demand.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisEW View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm the person who runs the website linked to above. I posted that page in 2004/2005, but it hasn't been up for a long time. I moved my website to google Sites, and it doesn't allow me to specify the page names ending with ".html". I have reposted the content of the original web page on exporting from inkscape to a DXF file, then from the DXF file I created G-code using matlab.

I have reposted the same page, but now it is located at a new page:

I also posted the matlab script I used to read the DXF file and write the G-code file. Note: This will bring the mill head to Z= +0.65 for travelling, and Z = 0 for cutting, probably not the default positions you might expect. Also, the DXF file coordinates are expected in millimeters, and they will be converted to inches for the G-code output. This script could easily be translated into R, java, or another language if there is a demand.
    Your web page requires logging in.

Garry

Fixed the broken link above

Hi Gary,

When I'm logged out of my account, I can still see the page. Can you try again? I was editing it until just now, so perhaps there was something temporarily wrong.

Thanks,
    Francis

Opened okay for me. Browsed the photos through picasa and opened the .dxf file into EditPlus. No problems.

~John