586,076 active members*
3,733 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc General Numeric 6 Control and General Questions

Fanuc General Numeric 6 Control and General Questions

Hi,
    I've been looking through posts on here for a while, but finally figured it was time to ask a few questions. I recently purchased a Wells-Index 620-4 CNC mill, and have been cleaning it up and getting it operational (it sat idle in a shop for roughly ten years). The machine itself seems to be built by Anayak (model 1080) in Spain and badged with the Wells-Index name and outfitted with GN Fanuc controls in the US. I have a bit of experience programming a CNC mill and router from different jobs, but this thing is a dinosaur compared to what I've worked with, and I've never had to delve into G code before, so I'm learning a lot.

My first question is; can anyone help identify the unmarked/missing buttons on this thing? Pretty sure the green one is cycle start, but I'm not sure about the white, yellow, or one with the missing button in the below photo.

My second question is about G50. My manual, and all the lists of G codes I've found for the Fanuc 6 use G50 to set zero, but my machine is giving an error that it is an unknown code. Any ideas on this one? Is there a chance I am entering it incorrectly?

My third question is about the way lube system. I want to ensure that it is functioning (for obvious reasons), but have little idea how it works. I haven't heard the motor kick on and the pressure gauge seems to be broken (reads constant @ 12.5, even with the fill cap off). Is there a parameter for the way lube timing that I can check/change for diagnostic purposes? Should I just start tearing this system down to clean and inspect it since it likely has ten year old oil/grease/dirt in every part of it? I've included a photo of the pump unit, as well as a diagram of the distribution system.

By the way, I have tons of assembly drawings, as well as electrical diagrams of a lot of this unit, if anyone has a similar machine.

Re: Fanuc General Numeric 6 Control and General Questions

It is good you have the OEM and GE Fanuc service manuals for the machine.
    The other VERY important item is a list or copy of the parameters, you may have a bubble memory on this model if so they are not so prone to lose, check to see if there is a back-up battery, if so replace it with the power on..
    For the oil system, probably needs a new gauge, also often used is a small metering valve/orifice at the end of each lube line and these block over time and need replacing, do not try and clean, they have a gauge No. on them.
    The other thing with this age of machine with DC servo's and spindle is to check the brushes, new one's can be had from Helwig Carbon.
    The lower operator panel is usually the design of the OEM as opposed to the top Fanuc panel.
    If you cannot find which input is which, you can often find it by pushing the button while watching the I/O bit screen and see which input is on, many inputs/outputs are pre-assigned to a function. the manual shows them.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: Fanuc General Numeric 6 Control and General Questions

The GN 6 series controls had a bubble memory, you need no battery backup.
    The lathe uses G50, but not the mill.
    G92 sets the distance to part zero.
    Look at youtube, put in my name: Heinz Putz, to see one of my DVDs, its free.
    I used to teach the GN programming courses in Chicago when the control was new.
    I also may have an example on my website: doccnc.com
    Good luck: Heinz.