586,364 active members*
3,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Latest Design CRP PRO4896 Build log Awesomeness!!

View Poll Results: Do you like the way things are getting done?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 72.73%
  • No

0 0%
  • Needs better Tools

2 18.18%
  • Needs More Space

0 0%
  • Thats so cool

1 9.09%
  • Its Retarded

0 0%
Page 12 of 14 21011121314

Re: Latest Design CRP PRO4896 Build log Awesomeness!!

Congratulations! Looks like you have a great machine.

Could I ask a few questions?
    1) Early on, you mentioned that you wish you had sourced full length 80/20 pieces so you didn't have to use the splice to connect the pieces for your long axis. Do you still feel that way?
    2) Related to number one, it looks like your machine in running very smoothly on the long axis. Did you have trouble properly joining the two pieces of profile linear rails on each side of your long axis? Do you wish you had two long rails so the joint wouldn't be required?
    3) How did you close that 1/8" gap on the router base?
    4) You mentioned in one post that the CNC Router Parts steel table was wobbly and you were thinking of shortening it. I see you changed your extra diagonal braces from the center to the ends. Did you make any other changes to make the table more rigid?

Thanks.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    Congratulations! Looks like you have a great machine.

Could I ask a few questions?
    1) Early on, you mentioned that you wish you had sourced full length 80/20 pieces so you didn't have to use the splice to connect the pieces for your long axis. Do you still feel that way?
    2) Related to number one, it looks like your machine in running very smoothly on the long axis. Did you have trouble properly joining the two pieces of profile linear rails on each side of your long axis? Do you wish you had two long rails so the joint wouldn't be required?
    3) How did you close that 1/8" gap on the router base?
    4) You mentioned in one post that the CNC Router Parts steel table was wobbly and you were thinking of shortening it. I see you changed your extra diagonal braces from the center to the ends. Did you make any other changes to make the table more rigid?

Thanks.

Don
    Hello so yeah

1. Yeah for assembly sake and machine ridigity I think sourcing solid pieces of 80/20 would be great I mean with the splice they seems solid but you could save alot of time if they where 1 piece

2. I did have a little trouble on the left side of the machine because there is a machined end and a rough cut end you have to make sure that you join both machined ends together. So I wasted a little time there because I didnt catch it and the instructions didn't specify but I think Like with the 80/20 it would be great to have 1 solid pieces as there is still a slight ridge at the connection and I dont think that it can ever be avoided.

3. So the z-axis mounting plate has 5 holes per side that mounts it to the carriage and according to the instructions you are only supposed to use 4 per side starting at the bottom. So to eliminate my gap issues with the Bosch 1617 I simply to the z-axis back off and lowered the entire thing down a set of holes

4. So yeah I changed those braces around like you saw and then lowered the entire machine to the bottom of the leveling feet and then re leveled it from there. Then I added braces on the x-axis of the machine at the top of the legs on the inside of the machine. I also added about 300 pounds of weight to the bottom shelf with all my scrap oak. then I bolted down my 2 4x8 sheets of 3/4" mdf in idk I think like 150 places and all the seems to help its not completely rock solid but its getting close

if there are any videos of the machine that you would like me to take just let me know and I can shoot them for you

First Paying order Completed!!

Running the machine kinda slow as my tool rep told me lol

https://youtu.be/u9Itn2yvznk
    https://youtu.be/qc8mqbMZbmE

Thought you were going to work on the dust shoe ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    gallenat0r

Quote Originally Posted by gallenat0r View Post
    Thought you were going to work on the dust shoe ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got to pay for that dust shoe lol I think I am just going to buy the kent cnc one not sure yet

Plus this customer has been waiting over a month for the new machine so it needed to get done asap!

How those fancy new linear rails handling sawdust buildup? They sure do look clean design wise!

They seem to be working great I have had them covered in mdf dust and the wiper seals are doing what they should I am worried about getting dust in them lol I am not familiar with them

The big hazard with MDF dust (and similar) is that they can suck all the oil/grease out of the bearings, leaving them running almost dry. Wiper seals are good, as are dust covers. Vacuum extractors may be better.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    The big hazard with MDF dust (and similar) is that they can suck all the oil/grease out of the bearings, leaving them running almost dry. Wiper seals are good, as are dust covers. Vacuum extractors may be better.

Cheers
    Roger
    Yeah I am worried about that 2 I am trying to finish up the dust boot I got the first half done and it cut the dust down by about 70%

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160707_222245.jpg  

My experience with machining Corian using my shop-vac as a dust collector was that I was able to extract ~99% of the dust. It would be interesting to see what an actual dust shoe will do for you.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    My experience with machining Corian using my shop-vac as a dust collector was that I was able to extract ~99% of the dust. It would be interesting to see what an actual dust shoe will do for you.

Cheers
    Roger
    yeah I am thinking I need skirting around this dust shoe to catch alot more of the dust but actually I am unimpressed with the bosch router its not working like I want it to. Just seems really low on power I think I need to get a spindle

Build a box anyone lol :cheers:

That ain't no box.
    That is a drawer without a face or the start of a modular storage solution.
    A stack of those would be very handy in the shop.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    That ain't no box.
    That is a drawer without a face or the start of a modular storage solution.
    A stack of those would be very handy in the shop.
    lol that's exact what I built it for I wanted a box for my spare wrenches to sit in

I also wanted to try out the lap joints and little marks for orientation so you can never put it together wrong

I just took it straight off the machine and hit it with the sander really quick I will put some brad nails in it and it should be good to go!!

A bit of PVA wood glue might help. Brads in MDF ...
    Cheers
    Roger

They do have special screws for MDF. They look just like pocket hole screws. Brads will hold until the glue dries though.
    Lee

Small Business Pinching Pennies Lol(flame2)

I will buy a correct one when I upgrade to a water cooled spindle and vfd

screw driver holder:banana:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160709_104433.jpg  

Score at the local habitat for humanity store 100 bucks for everything(flame2)

this will get me started on some large prototypes to show customers my capability
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160709_132055.jpg  

Page 12 of 14 21011121314