586,089 active members*
3,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Latest Design CRP PRO4896 Build log Awesomeness!!

View Poll Results: Do you like the way things are getting done?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 72.73%
  • No

0 0%
  • Needs better Tools

2 18.18%
  • Needs More Space

0 0%
  • Thats so cool

1 9.09%
  • Its Retarded

0 0%
Page 6 of 14 45678

Re: Latest Design CRP PRO4896 Build log Awesomeness!!

Okay Okay please someone correct me if I am wrong but I think I just had a brain wave!!!

okay so the square tubing cross braces measure 45" long and there is another square tubing on each side that measures 2" plus a mounting brackets that measures 3/16" so total width of that assembly is : 49.375"

the aluminum extrusions measure 1250 mm= 49.2126"

that is a difference of .1624" between the 2 things that are supposed to be exactly the same width

I have a combined gap of around .25" so thats .0876" difference from my .1624" difference

what do you guys think of that?

or maybe I am just being to picky and its supposed to be a really tight fit

I concur with RCaffin.

Mine was/is a tight fit.

A note of caution I used their Proximity Limit Switch Instructions and for mine the x and y axis is flipped as well as the +/- sensor positions from the diagram. even though mine did look exactly like the diagram.

oh okay I will watch out for that thanks

I did order there limit switches as well I had talked to CNC Router Parts on Thursday I believe and they where saying that the assembly manual was out of date for the new machine design I hope that it gets updated soon

As for which axis is X and which is Y it all depends on how you have the machine setup in your shop, the xml file they provide has it set one way, but there are a number of different combinations that you could have. The way I set mine up was to make it so that 0,0 was far left and closest to me when I was standing in front of the machine. This made it match what you see in the cad and cam programs with the axes set at default. With the way I had he machine set that meant that the cross gantry axis was X instead of Y that is the default.

Thanks Wildkard, that is what I was thinking and just don't know the software well enough. I plan on asking Cory this and much more tomorrow.

As far as Mach3.... What OS is best. I set it up on a vista machine and it crashes often. Just had it crash during an air cut of 2 circles. Also I noticed a bit of popping as it ran the program but when I manually jog it is very smooth.

Rob

I would not call Vista an 'operating system'. Unmitigated disatster might be more appropriate.
    WXP SP3 is the classic OS for Mach3, but if you are NOT using the parallel port then W7 is fine.
    If you are using the PP, then stay with WXP SP3.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    I would not call Vista an 'operating system'. Unmitigated disatster might be more appropriate.
    WXP SP3 is the classic OS for Mach3, but if you are NOT using the parallel port then W7 is fine.

Cheers
    Roger
    I agree with all of that.
    Lee

I disagree with that. It started out as a disaster as MS was trying to push a new driver structure that protected the OS from issues caused by drivers. Unfortunately, even though MS had an extended beta, the device manufacturers didn't use that time to develop and improve their drivers. So when Vista came out, it was a disaster but not because of the OS but because of the drivers. Something like 90% of the crashes of Vista were caused by Nvidia and AMD graphics drivers. By the time that was straightened out AND MS straightened out some of the issues with Vista, the fashionable thing was to put down Vista. Towards the end Vista was good but no one would give it a chance. The reason Windows 7 was good was because Vista actually was decent by the time Windows 7 came out. But who cares about details.

Other than that, I'd say go with XP if you need the parallel port but I'd leave it off of the network. Windows 7 is still getting updates so I'd install Windows Defender for viruses and you should be fine.

I'd like to point out I do work for Microsoft as a consultant, not a developer, but I definitely don't think MS is perfect and neither are most of their products. I have an iPhone and iPad but do like Windows 10. I even liked Windows 8 when I installed the Start8 utility to bring back the Win 7 start menu. Windows 8 is a solid OS as well, if you don't like the start menu, buy Start8 for under $10.

What are the general thoughts on the The Makers Guide Triple Edge Finder?
    Must have?
    Good?
    Can live with a simple touch plate?

Also do you recommend the Tramming GMT Spindle Mount from CNCRP or is it one of those things you don't notice the difference?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post

Cheers
    Roger
    WinXP is one OS that MS got spot on! As I use the PP I run it on all my control machines and never have an issue of any kind. I am running a cut down version though that has almost everything stripped out, but it's absolutely rock solid.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob77 View Post
    What are the general thoughts on the The Makers Guide Triple Edge Finder?
    Must have?
    Good?
    Can live with a simple touch plate?

Also do you recommend the Tramming GMT Spindle Mount from CNCRP or is it one of those things you don't notice the difference?

Rob

So as far as the triple edge finder I really haven't used it yet but I will let you know as soon as I do what I think of it. The real reason I bought it was because it seemed alot more feature packed for the same price as alot of other one

also I think it would be a good idea to tram the spindle mount I plan on doing it to mine but again I dont have alot of experience in that area

Wow!!! that took forever lol I finally got the aluminum extrusions all tight and together Now to attach to the legs of the base!!! I will take a pic of how I did it here in a little while!!

Personally I don't think that is an upgrade. Probably cheaper than brackets and will do the job.
    I just think there is more structure to angle brackets.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Personally I don't think that is an upgrade. Probably cheaper than brackets and will do the job.
    I just think there is more structure to angle brackets.
    Yeah Honestly I am not a fan of those anchor bolts they are extremely finicky

Okay so yeah I got the aluminum together and snapped a few pictures of how I did it with the limited space I had

So this picture is showing the 2x4s I used to set the x-rails on I just used one on each end to support them
    I then started at the back and worked my way forward 1 cross member at a time

So if you look close I used long pieces of all thread to pull the base inwards so that the aluminum would slip right down on it with not binding. I will probably just leave this all thread in place to use for mounting different things lol

Also this picture is show the rail setting jig that I used to set the spacing on each rail I also used 2 c-clamps with 2 pieces of flat HDPE to clamp the cross members flush to the x-rails
    (Dog is holding things down nicely)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160620_192236.jpg  

Well I was hoping to get the linear rails and gear racks all on tonight but I am missing hardware

I need 2 more bolts and t-nuts

but I got the right side on hopefully shipping on the hardware doesn't take to long my jobs are piling up for the new machine need to get it up and running asap

OOOO!! The red caps kinda match the motorcycle lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160620_212406.jpg   20160620_212424.jpg  

I too was missing those same items. USPS 3 day priority = full week

Your getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob77 View Post
    I too was missing those same items. USPS 3 day priority = full week

Your getting there.
    Hmm I hope to get next day aire on the hardware cause my electronics will be here Wednesday

Maybe use the tnuts and screws from the y axis rails to keep moving? Until the others arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by workinwoods View Post
    Hmm I hope to get next day aire on the hardware cause my electronics will be here Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by ericclinedinst View Post
    Maybe use the tnuts and screws from the y axis rails to keep moving? Until the others arrive?
    I oh yeah i could probably do that if I get into a pinch cause all the y-axis will be here Wednesday. I believe the only thing that wont arrive on Wednesday is the z-axis

thanks for the tip eric

Page 6 of 14 45678