509,877 active members
4,001 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mach3, Mach 4 or Linux CNC for G0704
Page 2 of 13 123412

Re: Mach3, Mach 4 or Linux CNC for G0704

If the machine is set up using just a parallel port and breakout board, then LinuxCNC will work just fine.
    The problem here is that many of us are using the equivalent of TWO parallel ports - very often from a USS (deprecated, noise problems) or preferably an ESS. Rewiring a whole machine from the outputs of the breakout boards is just too much work.

Now, if someone could provide an ethernet engine for LinuxCNC, so we could change the ESS over and boot Linux, then you might see an awful lot of people having a go at it.Swap ESS for the ethernet/Linux board, boot Linux from a DVD, assign the pins to match the existing wiring, and run. I would consider trying it out myself that way. But I am not going to rewire my machine: it is too busy.

Is there such an external engine?

Cheers
    Roger

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    The problem here is that many of us are using the equivalent of TWO parallel ports - very often from a USS (deprecated, noise problems) or preferably an ESS. Rewiring a whole machine from the outputs of the breakout boards is just too much work.

Now, if someone could provide an ethernet engine for LinuxCNC, so we could change the ESS over and boot Linux, then you might see an awful lot of people having a go at it.Swap ESS for the ethernet/Linux board, boot Linux from a DVD, assign the pins to match the existing wiring, and run. I would consider trying it out myself that way. But I am not going to rewire my machine: it is too busy.

Is there such an external engine?

Cheers
    Roger
    Mesa Electronics
    A lazy man does it twice.

Assume I am stupid. Part number?
    Cheers
    Roger

Registered

rCaffin,

That is all well and good, but my post was to answer the OPs question and my statement still stands true. If the machine is set up to use a parallel port and simple breakout board, then LinuxCNC will work. Note I didn't say ESS, UCC, or anything else. Just parallel port and breakout board.

As for using 2 parallel ports. LinuxCNC can handle even more than that, but the Mesa stuff is preferred when you have that much going on.

My G0704 runs fine with an old pentium 4 computer and LinuxCNC through only the parallel port and a Chinese BOB. I have 3 axes with limit switches, probe input, and have no problems. Occasional real time warnings, but never anything other than warnings and never have missed a beat.

Hi jb

No argument.

What I am looking for is the laziest way to replace a Mach3+ESS config with a LinuxCNC+??? config, given that I am using the equivalent of TWO parallel ports. Move ethernet cable over, move two ribbon cables over, boot Linux from DVD or CD, run LinuxCNC, assign pins to match, run gcode.

Suggestions for the ??? bit?

Cheers
    Roger

Gold Member

here you go Roger LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: LinuxCNC Supported Hardware , if you know M3 problems they are not a problem, but other stuff is better depending on what you want and can do
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    So you bashed a few systems that work well..
    How did I bash any of them.

Hi Daniel

Yes, I know that page. Too many minimally documented PCBs.

What I am looking for is a reply from someone who has actually done the switch, by swapping out an ESS and putting in an xxx and replacing the ribbon cables going to the BoBs. Yes, I know this is tantamount to extreme hand-holding, but so far all I am seeing is 'maybes' rather then 'tested and working'. And the one deity I follow is called Murphy.

I am flat out every day with production at the moment. I am very happy to read up on possibilities in the evening, but I don't want to pull my machine apart and go into a protracted and possibly unsuccessful debugging phase right now.

Cheers
    Roger

Gold Member

cool it will help the OP at any rate, yes the doc's for Linux are bad, unless you already know it or have someone to help

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered

linuxcnc docs are pretty darn good and being updated all the time.

LinuxCNC

RCaffin - why do you want to try linuxcnc? what issue are you having with mach?

The 5i25 (pci) or 7i92 (Ethernet) by themselves act like 2 high speed printer ports. (for $89) The boards take what is called a BIT file that configures what the pins do. If you have some standard bobs - there might already be a bit file that matches your pinouts. Then theoretically you could plug in the mesa card and cables for a swap.

sam

Gold Member

that worked roger if you wont someone in the know it's samco

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Samco

Yeah, I have no problems with the Linux docs. Been there before. Played Sysadmin on various OSs.

WHY am I considering LinuxCNC? Several reasons -
    * Why not?

* Mach3 has bugs which will never be resolved. Actually, they can NOT be resolved: they are faults in the core design and structure, not in the programming. I can reliably crash Mach3 (and have done so). Rewriting the core is called Mach4.

* If there is a magic combo that lets one switch between Mach3 and LinuxCNC just by swapping a board and two ribbon cables, and NOTHING ELSE, then it is tempting to dabble toes.

I will read up on the 7i92. Thank you.
    Cheers
    Roger

Page 2 of 13 123412