586,114 active members*
3,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Servo Selection - DMM or Used Industrial servos

Servo Selection - DMM or Used Industrial servos

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out what servo/amp setup I would like to have and have basically narrowed it down to DMM-tech servos/amps or Samsung CSDJ-02BX2 USED with related servos. My main worry is the tuning of the drives and PID loops. I noticed that the Samsungs have some sort of software autotune feature but im not sure about DMM. This is not for a giant mill, my main usage is gonna be in the nema 23-34 category. The price range is about the same, so I would like to have some input here from those experienced in one or both systems. Currently I have a CSMIO bob, not that it matters much.
    Making chips, day by day

Re: Servo Selection - DMM or Used Industrial servos

I have no experience with either, but I have been using TECO servos from MachMotion for a couple years. They were much less than industrial units and very easy to setup and the internal auto tuning seems to be working fine on my mill. There is an auto tuning feature for the internal control loops in the drive, I don't recall needing to use it. Whatever on the fly tuning that is built in just worked. My main control loops are in the KFLOP motion controller I have using. Those took some time to set.

I currently have my servos setup in analog input speed mode and my mill has been working great. The only I would like to change is sometimes at about 100 IMP my X axis will resonate and sometimes while idle the servos will make a humming or buzzing noise. The resonance I get could be mechanical or tuning but have no way of testing right now. The noise is not a big deal but I would like it to not happen at all. I hope to change the configuration to analog input torque mode and see if the resonance or the buzzing go away.

-Dan

I have several complaints about DMM, but one of them is that mine are difficult to tune. I have legacy dyn2 drives that do not have encoder output, so it's hard to tell what effect changing settings makes. Mine also do not have traditional +/-10v inputs, which is frustrating. That said, the newer drives look much better.

DMMs service was less than spectacular as well.

I can't speak for the samsung servos, but everything is much more expensive for true industrial servos. Just cables are often hundreds of dollars. And the lack of warranty makes it less enticing unless the price is spectacular.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KriegKuts View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out what servo/amp setup I would like to have and have basically narrowed it down to DMM-tech servos/amps or Samsung CSDJ-02BX2 USED with related servos. My main worry is the tuning of the drives and PID loops. I noticed that the Samsungs have some sort of software autotune feature but im not sure about DMM. This is not for a giant mill, my main usage is gonna be in the nema 23-34 category. The price range is about the same, so I would like to have some input here from those experienced in one or both systems. Currently I have a CSMIO bob, not that it matters much.
    You have to look at what you are getting, you can't compare the ( 2 ) Dmm is a much better system, just the fact of the Encoder 16 Bit makes them superior to most systems, there adapted tuning is another plus, there is very little to do when tuning these Drives
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by zamazz View Post
    I have several complaints about DMM, but one of them is that mine are difficult to tune. I have legacy dyn2 drives that do not have encoder output, so it's hard to tell what effect changing settings makes. Mine also do not have traditional +/-10v inputs, which is frustrating. That said, the newer drives look much better.

DMMs service was less than spectacular as well.

I can't speak for the samsung servos, but everything is much more expensive for true industrial servos. Just cables are often hundreds of dollars. And the lack of warranty makes it less enticing unless the price is spectacular.
    Even the old Dyna2 Drives that you have are very easy to tune, it takes no more than 5 min to set up 3 Dyna2 Drives, the Dyna2 Drive also supports analog control +/- 10v

A screenshot of the old Dyna2 setup software showing the different control options, Analog +/- 10v being one of the options
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Even the old Dyna2 Drives that you have are very easy to tune, it takes no more than 5 min to set up 3 Dyna2 Drives, the Dyna2 Drive also supports analog control +/- 10v

A screenshot of the old Dyna2 setup software showing the different control options, Analog +/- 10v being one of the options
    Wrong, on the old drives it's 0-5v analog with a direction pin. Probably intended for potentiometer use. It could be worked around in linuxcnc, but it's apparent that these weren't intended to be used as analog servos, especially without encoder outputs. They work fine in step/direction mode, which I've switched to.

Yes, it's easy to change settings, but not easy to tell how well a system is tuned. There needs to be some way to visualize and address error, overshoot, response time, etc. Again, it looks like the new drives address these issues, so these issues aren't particularly relevant to the OP.

My biggest complaint is service. My drives very clearly had software problems and it took weeks and a video to convince them. Then they had my drives for months and communication totally stopped, no reply to emails. I eventually had to call them (internationally) and it turns out that the person I had been talking to went back to school. No out of office or email redirecting.

When I finally got the drives back, the issue wasn't fixed. I decided that was the last time I was dealing with DMM and wrote a small script to reprogram the drives correctly each time linuxcnc was started. Worked fine, but isn't necessary now that I've changed to step/direction control.

Again, the new drives look like a huge improvement and YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by zamazz View Post
    Wrong, on the old drives it's 0-5v analog with a direction pin. Probably intended for potentiometer use. It could be worked around in linuxcnc, but it's apparent that these weren't intended to be used as analog servos, especially without encoder outputs. They work fine in step/direction mode, which I've switched to.

Yes, it's easy to change settings, but not easy to tell how well a system is tuned. There needs to be some way to visualize and address error, overshoot, response time, etc. Again, it looks like the new drives address these issues, so these issues aren't particularly relevant to the OP.

My biggest complaint is service. My drives very clearly had software problems and it took weeks and a video to convince them. Then they had my drives for months and communication totally stopped, no reply to emails. I eventually had to call them (internationally) and it turns out that the person I had been talking to went back to school. No out of office or email redirecting.

When I finally got the drives back, the issue wasn't fixed. I decided that was the last time I was dealing with DMM and wrote a small script to reprogram the drives correctly each time linuxcnc was started. Worked fine, but isn't necessary now that I've changed to step/direction control.

Again, the new drives look like a huge improvement and YMMV.

That's very strange that you say that is wrong, as I ran and installed their system using SoftServo control which at the time was ( +/-10v ), the SoftServo control that I used was there VersioBus 2 (+/- 10v) servo control, SoftServo don't use offer the VersioBus2 system now, mostly they use Ethercat and Mechatrolink
    Mactec54