586,089 active members*
3,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Source for tonewood.

I'm in the design stage of a Hammered Dulcimer for my daughter.
    My question is does anybody know where I can get some
    vertical grain Redwood for the floating soundboard?
    The panel will be glued up and surfaced down to 1/4 inch.
    It has to be at least 48 inches in length. I can resaw so thickness and width is not a factor.
    I have sent out emails all over the US but it seems that
    I'm looking in the wrong places cuz when I tell them I only need about 10 bf
    they don't reply back. I'm ok with buying more...but 50bf through the mail is not a option.
    I did get a quote of 12$ a bf but he didn't answer when I asked for a pic.
    I'm willing to go with Western Red Ceder or Sitka Spruce if I can find it.
    Anybody know a good supplier thats willing to sell less then a truckload?

thanks
    Chuck
    Aspire, VCPro, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D, Mach3, Home built CnC.

There are a couple of Ebay stores that sell instrument wood. Don't have the links handy, but I'll try to get them tonight. If I don't, PM me.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Chuck take a look at this site. http://www.alaskaspecialtywoods.com/

Soundboards are his speciality.....up to piano size

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Thanks Gerry, Mike...
    I looked at there sites...they don't advertise wood in the 4' lengths so I sent
    a email...hopefully something will come from it....
    Tha last dozen sites have turned up nada.
    I would have never guessed that verticle grain (quatersawn)
    redwood would be so hard to find... another sign of the times.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, from this side of the pond.
    The hammered dulcimer is one of the things that first got me interested in the possibilities of the cnc.
    Where I am in UK, it was a traditional instrument for folk entertainment in the pub, but no more.
    There is an old story of a character here who would sell his instrument for his beer money, then the following morning wood go out to his shed and make another one, generally out of old bits of furniture !

I've got my first attempt in the attic, waiting for me to build the 2nd cnc to make a better job of it.
    We(the grandparents) are the only ones in the family who don't play a musical instrument, so we have some incentive !
    Regards
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Hey John,
    Thanks for the post.
    This project as been on the backburner for years. I heard my first one at a craft show in Dallas when I was a kid. I still remember the sounds that came from it.
    My daughter plays a variety of instruments, she seems to have a ear for it.
    Although she tends to favor the high tech electronics, she does have a interest in this. So I'm hoping to get one made that can at least hold a tune.
    The requirements for the soundboard is presenting somewhat of a obstacle but I'm sure I'll come up with something eventually. Almost all the sources are catering to guitar and less in size.
    There is alot of redwood for sale out there in large quantities, if I have to I'll buy it and go in the soundboard making business. There seems to be a market for it.
    Take Care

Chuck

Chuck - I have a great advantage here in that about 40 miles from me is www.northheighamsawmills.co.uk . They have had a wonderful service record for woodworkers in this country for ever it seems, whether you're building furniture, musical instruments, or whatever.
    Sorry but they don't seem to export, but is it worth an email, explaining your problem to see if they can point you to a source nearer to you ?

Regards
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

You don't need to use redwood. Spruce is a good top wood for guitar soundboards and you can probably get some at a pretty low price. There is plenty of good tonewood out there with discoloration and visual defects that is priced pretty low. Check out LMII.com, officialluthiersforum.com has quite a few vendors, also check out mimf.com too. The vendors can probably connect you with what you want.
    Marty

Thanks Marty for the links.
    These sites cater to guitar makers. The hammered dulcimer soundboard
    is almost 48 inches in length. Most wood sold my these companies are less then 24 inches.
    Redwood is my #1 choice simply because it has the properties that I'm looking for.
    Ceder and spruce are a possibility... if i cannot locate redwood.

Thanks again...
    Chuck

Another alternate wood is cedar. Years ago I did some repair work on a hammered dulcimer that was built by the customer. She used clear quartersawn cedar clapboards. It's not a typical tonewood but served well for her purposes.

Also, have you tried contacting a dulcimer maker? These people may be able to help.

http://www.dustystrings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alnicov View Post
    Another alternate wood is cedar. Years ago I did some repair work on a hammered dulcimer that was built by the customer. She used clear quartersawn cedar clapboards. It's not a typical tonewood but served well for her purposes.

Western Red Ceder is a good tonewood and would serve its intended purpose on a hammered dulcimer.
    It is also a soft wood that is very susceptible to damage.
    If i can locate it then I might have to use it.

Dusty Strings makes nice dulcimers...I still haven't given up on the raw lumber supplier yet...I know there is redwood out there for sell..I just haven't located it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by alnicov View Post

I gave him a call...nothing in that length...thanks anyway.

Chuck

Check out Gilmerwood.com. They have 8/4 redwood in their stocklist. Maybe it is quartered.
    Marty

Chuck do you think Fir might work? Reason I ask, is I have one board that is about 2.25 thick, 28-30" wide and about 10ft long. I haven't looked to see if it's quartered or not, but thought if it might work I would take a look at the grain for you.

I have no way to resaw it so take that into consideration.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    Check out Gilmerwood.com. They have 8/4 redwood in their stocklist. Maybe it is quartered.
    Marty
    Thanks for the link Marty.
    Nice website...I emailed Ann and she replied with "sorry, nothing in stock"

I found a piece of redwood in Oregon...The guy had it stored under his bed.
    If I cut it just right then it will yield just enough to construct the Dulcimer.
    I haven't recieved it yet so I'm crossing my fingers in hope that it has a good verticle grain. I'm thinking of doing a build log on this project ...I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks again
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    Chuck do you think Fir might work? Reason I ask, is I have one board that is about 2.25 thick, 28-30" wide and about 10ft long. I haven't looked to see if it's quartered or not, but thought if it might work I would take a look at the grain for you.

I have no way to resaw it so take that into consideration.

Mike

Mike thank You very much for the offer...I don't think fir has the properties to be a soundboard for this instrument. At least I haven't seen any that was constructed using it. But irregardless, thank you.

Chuck

Swamp Ash

I have a good supply of swamp ash I use for my tele's and Strats and about anything you can use swamp ash for. I find it to be some of the fattest sounding swamp ash I used in a long time. I am willing to part with it if anyone is interested. I also found there is good supply of sitka spruce out there also. I have used doug fir in the past for 1969 reissue's teles of course for the top and found it to have wonderful sustain with rich overtones. I was wondering if anyone out there has used incent cedar for solid bodies?