586,058 active members*
4,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Chinese XK7130 a complete experience Review!
Page 7 of 19 5678917

Re: Chinese XK7130 a complete experience Review!

G59,

I agree on the double wall and was already standing and looking at it this morning and looking at doing exactly what you mentioned using some aluminum sheet metal so it doesn't require paint either. in fact I will probably make a boxed edge floor pan as well from aluminum that the over hangs sit inside of.

However. As far as competition... I would say the price point is what distances it. I mean as of right now this machine is almost $8-10k less than a tormach or novakon flagship machine optioned the same way and is significantly beefier weighing in at 4k lbs and having more travels. I think it's important not to start trying to compare it to what it isn't, like a dmg Mori or Haas etc... I've never claimed it to be in that league because I know their quality would be quite a few leagues up. But for jumping from a Grizzly to this, it's a bigger stretch than a tormach or novakon which o also researched and shopped for.

As for the table dimensions. It is a 13" x 40" table with 4-1/4" T- slot spacing. Final travel dimensions are 28"x16"x18.5"...

It will require some feedback to the manufacturer, but I know them to be willing to make improvements and take criticism very well, so keep the thoughts and ideas coming!

Thanks!

Chris

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jhncaj View Post
    Hey Chris.....Thanks for posting the review of the machine it's very informative I've been eyeing the Chinese machines for sometime.

Could you explain why you are choosing to go with LinuxCNC? It seems to me that the GSK controls are more than capable and perhaps the equivalent of the Fanuc control?

Thanks

John
    I chose Linux cnc because the GSK is not as expandable or customizable as Linux/pathpilot. It also added $2k to the price, is a Chinese based system, and I prefer the conversational that path pilot offers over the black box type controller. If a Linux component breaks, a whole new set of mesa boards is $299 and can be here in a day, and swapped out in 10 minutes. I will be the installer so will know how to fix anything that might break vs dealing with another company or having a high repair replacement cost. My mission was economical but also more so expandability. Linux can run 5 axis where as GSK 5 axis, even being one of the cheapest of the options, is very expensive. I plan on adding a 4th and 5th so it was the best move for my needs. If you want basic control functionality, I'm sure gsk would be OK, but I was told for mills that the gsk is point to point type and doesn't offer constant velocity for interpolated moves. Whether that is true or not no one has been able to tell me but thats what the machine manufacturer said which turned me off of it completely. I also really like the graphical interface of path pilot, is much easier to make heads or tails of what you want to do.

Hope that explanation was helpful!

Thanks,

Chris

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    G59,

I agree on the double wall and was already standing and looking at it this morning and looking at doing exactly what you mentioned using some aluminum sheet metal so it doesn't require paint either. in fact I will probably make a boxed edge floor pan as well from aluminum that the over hangs sit inside of.

However. As far as competition... I would say the price point is what distances it. I mean as of right now this machine is almost $8-10k less than a tormach or novakon flagship machine optioned the same way and is significantly beefier weighing in at 4k lbs and having more travels. I think it's important not to start trying to compare it to what it isn't, like a dmg Mori or Haas etc... I've never claimed it to be in that league because I know their quality would be quite a few leagues up. But for jumping from a Grizzly to this, it's a bigger stretch than a tormach or novakon which o also researched and shopped for.

As for the table dimensions. It is a 13" x 40" table with 4-1/4" T- slot spacing. Final travel dimensions are 28"x16"x18.5"...

It will require some feedback to the manufacturer, but I know them to be willing to make improvements and take criticism very well, so keep the thoughts and ideas coming!

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've been following this thread closely. It's interesting indeed, especially considering that I have long considered a Tormach or Novakon my next logical step. Please keep the updates coming as maybe in a year or two when I am ready to make the leap I will be using this thread as a guid.

Thanks,
    Chris 2

Hi Chris, Im a little confused. Are you referring to "PathPilot" from Tormach?
    They say on their website that the control is not for third party use....

Quote Originally Posted by jhncaj View Post
    Hi Chris, Im a little confused. Are you referring to "PathPilot" from Tormach?
    They say on their website that the control is not for third party use....
    Because they built pathpilot on top of LinuxCNC, which itself is open source licensed, they are required to distribute and hold no claims over it even though it's their own spin linuxcnc. So what they most likely mean is that it isn't designed to work on third party machines, however the folks who are well versed in LinuxCNC didn't take very long to adapt it and now it is configurable to run a multitude of different setups.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Hi Chris,

I've been following this thread closely. It's interesting indeed, especially considering that I have long considered a Tormach or Novakon my next logical step. Please keep the updates coming as maybe in a year or two when I am ready to make the leap I will be using this thread as a guid.

Thanks,
    Chris 2
    Those are excellent machines, do t get me wrong..I have muscled through with a G0704 the better part of 6 years now, and either of those machines would have been a healthy upgrade to the G0704. But like many, when I started adding up the options, it started to get a little ridiculous and I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Mainly because used VMC's were in most cases, less money. Now, I built my house myself and designed it and had the good fortune to be able to build an attached 30x60 garage/shop so I had room for a big machine which made that decision much easier to make for me, bit those who are in a basement, 1 car, or 2 car garage sharing space with cars probably would have a very different list of criteria to base their purchase decision on.

Having been around big machines and small machines, I can say that I have equal fun with both, but when I decided to bring machining I to my business. It didn't take long to find the shortcomings of my grizzly. And I found myself performing maintenance more than making parts. That was a problem I hope this machine resolves. Bit then again, I know many folks with tormachs and novakon machines who work them like borrowed mules and they gave adequate service for them. But ultimately they upgraded and said once they did, that the difference was night and day. I'm hoping for that same realization.. lol

Here's to hoping I made a good decision!

Chris

Last picture of the day, everything I'm this section is reorganized finally.. have some other work to do over the weekend to shift the welding area around some and then next week get hard at wiring the phase converter and the machine up.

So much to do and so little time in the days it seems...

Chris

However. As far as competition... I would say the price point is what distances it. I mean as of right now this machine is almost $8-10k less than a tormach or novakon flagship machine optioned the same way and is significantly beefier weighing in at 4k lbs and having more travels. I think it's important not to start trying to compare it to what it isn't, like a dmg Mori or Haas etc...
    The competition I was referring to was the other Chinese manufacturers. Yes, I agree you cannot compare this machine to a Novakon or Tormach. It's just in a different league. The Novakons and Tormachs are a great springboard into CNC in my opinion. Nothing wrong with them provided you aren't demanding more than what their original intent was. And if all you do is prototyping or small parts, yes, they usually fit the bill quite nicely.

Having said that, I'm truly taking notes with every update you post, so as to avoid making errors.

I hope thats OK with you?

You got a sweet new machine Chris. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by dautry View Post
    You got a sweet new machine Chris. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:
    Thanks dautry!! I'm happy so far, now to see how quickly I can get it up and running!!

Now, I built my house myself and designed it and had the good fortune to be able to build an attached 30x60 garage/shop so I had room for a big machine which made that decision much easier
    Wow - you Americans sometimes don't realise how space abundant you are! That sort of area is an average new build, 4 bedroom, 2 bath house in the UK - OVER TWO FLOORS!
    I design and detail houses for a living and anything here that approaches a 'normal' US family home is reserved for the elite and lottery winners!
    From your
    Envious, UK space poor cousin!

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    Wow - you Americans sometimes don't realise how space abundant you are! That sort of area is an average new build, 4 bedroom, 2 bath house in the UK - OVER TWO FLOORS!
    I design and detail houses for a living and anything here that approaches a 'normal' US family home is reserved for the elite and lottery winners!
    From your
    Kawazuki,
    Yes, we are pretty spoiled over here. A drive through any middle class neighborhood and you will see homes with 2 or 3 car garages, often so filled with toys that the 2 new cars are parked in the driveway. I suppose that is why so many people from around the world will risk life and limb to cross our borders. Ironically these same people with the new cars and garages full of toys often complain loudly about life in general, forgetting that of the 7 billion people on earth, the average American is in the top 1% in income. The guys who built this machine would probably think they were in paradise if their entire family could move into this fellows garage.

The guys who built this machine would probably think they were in paradise if their entire family could move into this fellows garage.
    I agree. I wonder how many man hours actually went into this machine and also what the worker wages were.

The price he got this machine for just covers the CI and sheet metal. Soooo...................how much is left for wages. It certainly wouldn't be a living wage if it was done in USA.

What really gets me is those manufacturers who cry "buy American" and then they themselves buy cheap machines to make their products.

Fortunately lcvette isn't one of them.

Sweet machine brother. Awesome thread

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    From your
    Hahaha... Yeah I am spoiled with the attached garage/shop... I designed/built the house myself and with the money I saved I was able to go big in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckorlando View Post
    Sweet machine brother. Awesome thread
    Thanks!!! Waiting on the wiring schematic now, fun fun fun..lol

I chose Linux cnc because the GSK is not as expandable or customizable as Linux/pathpilot. It also added $2k to the price, is a Chinese based system, and I prefer the conversational that path pilot offers over the black box type controller. If a Linux component breaks, a whole new set of mesa boards is $299 and can be here in a day, and swapped out in 10 minutes. I will be the installer so will know how to fix anything that might break vs dealing with another company or having a high repair replacement cost. My mission was economical but also more so expandability. Linux can run 5 axis where as GSK 5 axis, even being one of the cheapest of the options, is very expensive. I plan on adding a 4th and 5th so it was the best move for my needs. If you want basic control functionality, I'm sure gsk would be OK, but I was told for mills that the gsk is point to point type and doesn't offer constant velocity for interpolated moves. Whether that is true or not no one has been able to tell me but thats what the machine manufacturer said which turned me off of it completely. I also really like the graphical interface of path pilot, is much easier to make heads or tails of what you want to do.

Hope that explanation was helpful!

Thanks,

Chris

Any chance we can get some more details regarding the Linux CNC setup? What boards are you buying etc?
    Been looking around a bit myself but the Linux CNC documentation at a glance was not enough for me to make an informed decision on what hardware to buy.
    That combined with low forum activity has me worried; I dont want to run into trouble and be unable to find information about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doxs View Post
    Any chance we can get some more details regarding the Linux CNC setup? What boards are you buying etc?
    Been looking around a bit myself but the Linux CNC documentation at a glance was not enough for me to make an informed decision on what hardware to buy.
    That combined with low forum activity has me worried; I dont want to run into trouble and be unable to find information about it.
    All depends on your setup, different boards for different motors and drives etc.. for steppers, the 5i25 and 7i76 plug and go kit ($199) is most popular and most prefer the 5i25 and 7i77 plug and go kit ($299) for servos since it offers encoder feedback provisions.

Well, I spent most of the day building the schematic for the Mesa 7i77 connections to the machine, the provided schematics were missing some key information but the electrical engineers at Runfa Machinery Co rectified it within an hour providing a more detailed schematics of the existing wiring. Great after service so far.

Once I am 100% complete with the spread sheet connections I will post them up for review. In my reading through the manuals, I found the spindle servo drive very interesting. It allows for indexing of course for tool changes, but it also has twist outputs for initiating a PLC to carry out a tool change sequence. Other nifty functions it has are digital inputs to call up different parameter tables, for example rigid tapping. If the digital input for rigid tapping is initiated it pulls from user defined secondary parameters for acceleration, torque and braking to enhance the rigid tap functionality. Pretty slick I thought!

So, little more work on the wiring layout and then I'd time to start running copper!! 😁😁😁

Need to install the phase converter too, have to take a look at what I want as far as a sub panel for the three phase power so i can connect future equipment requiring 3 phase power. Will update on that as well as progress is made. All in all, the wiring is very straight forward looking for the machine so far, they did a great job putting the electrical cabinet together and documenting everything to make it simple!!

That's it for today's progress report, more to come this week!

Chris

So are the lights in your neighbor going to dim when you run your new machine?

Your G0704 its probably shooting coolant at your new machine while yours sleeping

Page 7 of 19 5678917