I've had a G0704 setting in my garage for close to 2 years, and I've had the CNC conversion on it for about 6 months or so. It's been moving, but I havn't gotten around to dialing it in. Naturally, I've got a project that I could really use a CNC mill for, and of course I'm having trouble.

This is the 2nd CNC mill conversion I've done, and it was much easier this time around. I had an RF-45 clone last time, but sold it when I moved because I didn't want to move it. Anyway...

This G0704 has the ArizonaVideo ball-screw conversion kit on it. The install was pretty easy, but the grizzly castings were poor so I had to make a few small mods. I don't remember what though. I highly recommend his kit, it was a pretty painless install.

X & Y: 570 oz.in. Nema 23 steppers, KL-8056d Drivers
Z: 1200 oz.in. Nema 34 stepper, KL-8070d Driver
Power Supply: KL-600-48, 48VDC @ 12.5A

Running Mach3 on a Windows XP machine.

Now on to my problem.

I can run the machine at 200 IPM pretty easily and it will run fine for what seems to be random amounts of time. Then it will bind up and skip a ton of steps. It does this at several different feedrates. The weird thing is it seems to be following one of the drivers. I've switched the X&Y drivers and the problem seems to follow the driver. The stepper will also occasionally just stop moving at all, not even making noises like it's trying to move. This seems to happen after a bind.

Also, I'll be the first to admit, I don't know much about adjusting the gibs. However, I've followed several videos and I think I've got them dialed in. I pushed them in while wiggling the table until I didn't feel it wiggle any more. I then put the screws back with some locktite to hold the gib in place. I havn't tried to manually slide the table around, but that's my next move.

Is it possible I have a bad driver? I havn't noticed the fault light come on. Any other ideas?