586,075 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Create gear using user application gear

Create gear using user application gear

Im kind of in a pickle at the moment. I was awarded a job that is a shaft with a male spline on it, but don't have enough information to tell the tooling manufacture what to make. Ive been on the internet for 2 days trying to figure out how to get them the info they need. The print calls out for a 35 x 2 x 30 x 16 DIN5480. measurement over 4mm pins are 38.912 - 38.875. The tool manufacture is requesting min and major diameters. I am a complete idiot when it comes to involute splines, so I was hoping someone could some light. My problem is that all I have is the spline call out on the print, and I was counting on them to determine what was going to be needed.

Re: Create gear using user application gear

Quote Originally Posted by dfearnow View Post
    Im kind of in a pickle at the moment. I was awarded a job that is a shaft with a male spline on it, but don't have enough information to tell the tooling manufacture what to make. Ive been on the internet for 2 days trying to figure out how to get them the info they need. The print calls out for a 35 x 2 x 30 x 16 DIN5480. measurement over 4mm pins are 38.912 - 38.875. The tool manufacture is requesting min and major diameters. I am a complete idiot when it comes to involute splines, so I was hoping someone could some light. My problem is that all I have is the spline call out on the print, and I was counting on them to determine what was going to be needed.
    We do not manufacture our drive shafts at my facility but we have spine shaft on everyone of our components as well as design authority -I have access to probably every standard out there regarding this an imay be ale to help. can yu send me the involute callout on t print? If it is shown? it should give pressure angles, pitch diameters, no. of theeth....see attachment

also mastercam has I think a chook that will create a spline for you if you have this information, if there is not one in mastercam I can do it in Gibbscam and send you file in dxf or dwg format and then you could place dim.'s on it or extrude the 2d feature into solid and acertain whats needed that way.

postwrtr, thanks for attempting to help me out. My print call out is in no way that detailed. But I can send it to you. Do you have an email?
    And yes, Mastercam does have a C hook for gears. But my spline call out does not give me enough info to fill out the dialog boxes.

I am looking at the standard I pulled up on google right now but I do also have the entire standards library if needed, I am not for certain that a gear is the same as a spline. it looks to me like this is a double tooth spline, but I just started looking at the standard. I am pretty new to posting on a forum though and don't recall seeing to many emails given within a post - can I do a private message? how does that work?

check your inbox

you need to be careful here though because a gear and a spline are not necessarily the same thing. I am looking at the gear tool in MC and it does not supply you with the option for gear or spline but Gibbscam does this within the same dialogue. without some time reading the spec I would not be able to say for certain that the gear tool in MC will give you exctaly what is required for that standard. also advent threadmilling company make specialty tooling that will cut splines and ill bet they too have this one figured out, they are expensive tools and require a forth axis to produce but may be another resource for you, got youe email but got to go take care of some work on the floor I will look it over for you when I get the chance

Yeah, thats what I noticed about MC's gear maker. I have our engineers making a model in Solidworks now, but even he is having a hard time getting it exact.
    And thanks for the heads up on the tool maker. I will definitely look them up. We are getting Vargus and Sandvik to quote us special inserts.

I have made plenty of splines with Mastercam's gear generator, all have passed the QC tests