586,060 active members*
4,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper motor troubleshoot

Hi all,

I'm running a homebuild machine with two Nema 23 3Nm stepper motors driven by DM442 drivers driving the x-axis. I've run it for months without problems, but suddenly one of the motors has decided to give up. I've tested the motor using an LED and it seems to be working fine. I've also tried a new driver and a different cable, without any luck. If I attach the motor to the driver for the other x-axis motor, it works fine. When attached to its own driver, it is powering up (can't be turned by hand when powered) but is not responding to any x-axis input. Having tested the motor and swapped out all the components, I'm at a total loss. Any ideas what might be going on or how best to go about a more methodical troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Re: Stepper motor troubleshoot

How is this wired is it A axis slaved if so have you tried B axis and slave that incase problem with BOB?
    Another thing I have seen cause a similar problem is cable break inside the insulation that refused to work whenever motor and cable placed in its original position has the cable been flexing close to the body?
    Also you don't mention testing its original driver on other X motor it could be a driver problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    How is this wired is it A axis slaved if so have you tried B axis and slave that incase problem with BOB?
    Another thing I have seen cause a similar problem is cable break inside the insulation that refused to work whenever motor and cable placed in its original position has the cable been flexing close to the body?
    Also you don't mention testing its original driver on other X motor it could be a driver problem?
    Hiya,

It's A axis slaved. I've tried connecting the other motor to the driver, no problems. I've now swapped out the driver, changed the cable, tested the motor and tried slaving as B axis, all with no effect. Thoroughly confused!

If motor works on other axis, driver change made no difference and wiring does not have fault then I would double check the configuration, in my case return to a configuration at a time that I knew was working correctly , when exiting Mach3 there is the opportunity to save fixture and to run any older version of your configuration its amazing how often I have fixed problems by doing this despite being repeatedly told beforehand nothing has been changed.

If I read this correctly, the only thing left is the PC... The drivers are connected to a parallel port? It's the port or the configuration as Louis suggested. If the config hasn't changed, or you verify it's correct, then the problem is the parallel port. If it's a desktop, buy a parallel port card (they are cheap). If it's a laptop... look into a USB connected motion controller... (NOT one from China!) or get an old desktop to replace the laptop. Those are often available for next to nothing.... or even nothing...
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

cracked it... completely by accident, but cracked it nonetheless! Rewired the whole thing today, and took the opportunity to re-order the breakout pins each driver connected to to make the wiring a bit less cluttered. Suddenly the Z axis wouldn't work. You guessed it, it was connected to the pins that the A axis used to use. Connected to a different pair of pins, bingo!

Thanks for the assistance folks!