586,096 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: I need help

Page 1 of 3 123

I need help

Hello im new to cnc and been building a machine
    z axis high if cantry is 16 from top to table surface can some one help with the hight of my z I would like to buy one already made up with a dewalt 611 basse clamp but im lost and need to get the right hight
    I have a jpeg of my bridge

Re: I need help

That gantry would be much stronger if you connected the two tubes with a sheet of aluminum. If they were bigger, that would help too. The critical distance, which you don't call out in your drawing, is the clearance between the top of your table and the bottom of the gantry. That determines the travel you'll need for your Z axis; the overall height doesn't matter too much.

While some people sell pre-fabricated Z axes, I don't know of any that come with the clamp for that particular router. But you can order it here: https://www.inventables.com/technolo...-spindle-mount I've had good luck using small linear actuators as a Z axis; you can often find them for less money than their component parts would cost, and they generally come with good ballscrews and rails pre-aligned. Something like this: THK Linear Actuator Unit KR33 KR A Series Motor Ready Actuator Assembly | eBay (although I don't mean to endorse this particular ebay seller).
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hello thanks for the reply
    I haven welded the cantry as of yet the table top is a sheet of 4x4 mdf 2 inches im looking at buying a z pre made the 2x2 square tubing are 1/8 thick they will not bend i was thinking about puting something behined it to make it stronger but i want to make sure that the stepper will be able to work with this setup its realy heavy and the nema are 23 steper motor what would be your prefeared hight on a cantry to the table top
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    That gantry would be much stronger if you connected the two tubes with a sheet of aluminum. If they were bigger, that would help too. The critical distance, which you don't call out in your drawing, is the clearance between the top of your table and the bottom of the gantry. That determines the travel you'll need for your Z axis; the overall height doesn't matter too much.

While some people sell pre-fabricated Z axes, I don't know of any that come with the clamp for that particular router. But you can order it here: https://www.inventables.com/technolo...-spindle-mount I've had good luck using small linear actuators as a Z axis; you can often find them for less money than their component parts would cost, and they generally come with good ballscrews and rails pre-aligned. Something like this: THK Linear Actuator Unit KR33 KR A Series Motor Ready Actuator Assembly | eBay (although I don't mean to endorse this particular ebay seller).

My preferences aren't particularly relevant here. You need to decide how much clearance you need between the top of your highest part and the tip of your longest tool, bearing in mind that the lower you keep it the more stable your machine will be.

It's pretty common to use dual slaved motors and screws to run the longest axis, which halves the load on each motor as well as avoiding the "stuck drawer effect".
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I was thinking of something like this and go from there build the bridge from this unit size
    here are the spec 5 inchs travel
    4" WIDE
    FOR NEMA 23 MOTOR
    *****Use 75oz/in - 450oz/in motor with 1/4 shaft*****
    for 3/8 shaft, ask for the right coupling
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

machined from 3/8 plate 6061T6 alu.

SS 3/8-16 SCREW WITH ACETAL NUT

DOUBLE SS BEARING ON ONE END

ACETAL BEARING

LOW PROFILE, ONLY 2.625"
    VERY COMPACT UNIT with FLAT BACK

WEIGHT +/- 4.4LBS WITHOUT motor

FRONT PLATE WITH 6X 5/32 MOUNTING HOLES
    (they are not in the actual picture)

PLAIN BACK PLATE
    (we can make mounting hole for you, ask)

FRONT PLATE IS 4" X 5"
    BACK

My preferences aren't particularly relevant here. You need to decide how much clearance you need between the top of your highest part and the tip of your longest tool, bearing in mind that the lower you keep it the more stable your machine will be.

It's pretty common to use dual slaved motors and screws to run the longest axis, which halves the load on each motor as well as avoiding the "stuck drawer effect".

I have this unit...mines from CNC4Newbie. I'm still putting my machine together, but I like the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by explore View Post
    I was thinking of something like this and go from there build the bridge from this unit size
    here are the spec 5 inchs travel
    4" WIDE
    FOR NEMA 23 MOTOR
    *****Use 75oz/in - 450oz/in motor with 1/4 shaft*****
    for 3/8 shaft, ask for the right coupling
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

machined from 3/8 plate 6061T6 alu.

SS 3/8-16 SCREW WITH ACETAL NUT

DOUBLE SS BEARING ON ONE END

ACETAL BEARING

LOW PROFILE, ONLY 2.625"
    VERY COMPACT UNIT with FLAT BACK

WEIGHT +/- 4.4LBS WITHOUT motor

FRONT PLATE WITH 6X 5/32 MOUNTING HOLES
    (they are not in the actual picture)

PLAIN BACK PLATE
    (we can make mounting hole for you, ask)

FRONT PLATE IS 4" X 5"
    BACK

Hi is worth it does it feel strong not cheap
    and nay I ask whyou build are u using extrusion tube I was thinking of keeping my table and finish of the y axis with extrusion be easir to put on z axis
    Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    I have this unit...mines from CNC4Newbie. I'm still putting my machine together, but I like the unit.

It does not feel cheap. It's very accurately made. I'm not sure how long the acetal bearings will last, but the seller has parts to rebuild it.

I'm building because of just the fun of doing it, and because I think I can build a good machine. No...my build does not use extrusions. For the gantry I have built a torsion box beam out of MDF.

Here's my build thread so far...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...05340-cnc.html

Hi is worth it does it feel strong not cheap
    and nay I ask whyou build are u using extrusion tube I was thinking of keeping my table and finish of the y axis with extrusion be easir to put on z axis

I got one from these guys. I've had it for several years now and it is a solid unit.
    CNC Routers made in the USA ~~ 4x4, 3x3, cnc router machine

Fretman read your thread verry interesting will keep on reading finish up to page 10 the last post was yesterday im looking forward to see final outcome
    at same time learn and get more info thanks i think the z axis is what i will get from CNC4Newbie ricknbeachres thanks for the link as well y and z axis is interesing.
    i guess after buyin zaxis will be able to see more clearly about y axis m maching is made up od 2x2 1/8 square tubing it heavy table is welded will post picture later today to show you guys i hope that my quaestion will not bore u guysim new to this and willing to learn

Heres my table its 6x5 with a 4x4 foot cuting surface now its time to figure out the gantry
    Attachment 323908

Hello since im new to this im now looking into geting my motors
    my cnc is for cuting metal aluminum and wood and I was looking at this set up on ebay if anyone have experience with them please reply
    US Free Ship 4AXIS NEMA23 Stepper Motor 425oz IN Driver DM542A CNC Router KIT | eBay
    4 pcs Nema 23 stepper motor 425 oz.in bipolar with single shaft
    4 pcs Stepper motor driver DM542A, PEAK 4.2A, 128 micsteps
    2 pc Power supply 350W-36vdc/9.7A
    1 pc parallel cable & 1 pc breakout board

Is the inductance on those motors a little high...9mH??

Hello since im new to this im now looking into geting my motors
    my cnc is for cuting metal aluminum and wood and I was looking at this set up on ebay if anyone have experience with them please reply
    US Free Ship 4AXIS NEMA23 Stepper Motor 425oz IN Driver DM542A CNC Router KIT | eBay
    4 pcs Nema 23 stepper motor 425 oz.in bipolar with single shaft
    4 pcs Stepper motor driver DM542A, PEAK 4.2A, 128 micsteps
    2 pc Power supply 350W-36vdc/9.7A
    1 pc parallel cable & 1 pc breakout board

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Is the inductance on those motors a little high...9mH??
    not sure what u mean can you explain I was looking at yours thought maybe i would go biger in a sence

"Bigger", meaning more holding torque? When that comes at the price of higher inductance, it can end up costing you in money or performance. Those motors really want 96 volts supplied to run at their best. With that 36 volt supply, they will perform poorly, but that's probably all the voltage those drives can handle. These ebay bundles are often pretty worthless - but they're cheap...
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I understand thanks
    what would you sudgest in stepper motor and power supply nema 23 motors with what power supply

"Bigger", meaning more holding torque? When that comes at the price of higher inductance, it can end up costing you in money or performance. Those motors really want 96 volts supplied to run at their best. With that 36 volt supply, they will perform poorly, but that's probably all the voltage those drives can handle. These ebay bundles are often pretty worthless - but they're cheap...

Thanks yes these guy are ok I like the digiatl stepper driver motors are sweet im thinking about ging towards buying from them.
    I have another question im having trouble finding lead screws in this contry CANADA were you cant find a thing here anyways located a place in the usa they ave lead screw im looking at 1/2 10 screws I wanted to buy 1/2 10 5 start but they were much more expesive and shipping was crazy.
    Anyways can someone tell if they have lead screw normal start and anyone with a 5 start do you see much difference in speed
    should i just count my lose and go with 5 start

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RicknBeachcrest View Post

1/2-10 5 start will usually be 3-4x faster than 1/2-10 single start.

Check Roton for screws.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi guys and thaks for the info
    i have these nema 23 motors there 2 phase 4.8 volt 3.0 A but i would like to get the MX4660 by lead shine will these motors work with only 1 driver if so will they die early i guess im asking if anyone has ever used these longs nema 23 steper motors with the leadshine driver and using the 48V 12.5A switching power supply
    thanks

Page 1 of 3 123