Hello,

I am building a cnc surface grinder (very light duty) that I can also use as a manual machine. The goal is to finish my parts which come off the cnc mill and maybe do some experimenting. The goal of the machine is to take light finising passes and to smooth out the machining marks on the parts. Taking off 1-3 thousanths(0.0254 to 0.0762mm) per pass is what I'm looking for .
I'm on a very strict budget and the machine frame is made from scrap material or material that I got for a very good price. After welding, I will also have it stress relieved (got a friend to do it).

X-AXIS

The X-axis is riding on MGN09 rails with MGN09CA carriages ( 6 of them). The rail length will total 990mm, the main mounting plate will be 1050x180x15mm, made from S355J steel.

Y-AXIS

The y-axis is riding on HGR15 rails with HGH15CA carriages (4 of them). The rail length will be 400mm. They will mount to the base frame.

Z-AXIS

The z-axis will be custom made and will essentially be a box-way(although very much flimsier compared to real ones). The z-axis spindle carriage will slide on a Teflon /PTFE surface, 2mm thick.

SCREWS

All screws are based on TR12x3, with anti-backlash nuts. Considering the light duty the machine is running I did not see it important to put ballscrews in there.

ELECTRONICS and MOTORS

Motors will be NEMA 23, probably 1.26 or 1.89NM ones, breakoutboard combatible with Mach 3.

I'll post more pictures and stuff when it comes available