586,096 active members*
3,775 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machinist Hangout > Anyone tried ultrasonic milling?

Anyone tried ultrasonic milling?

Hi there, just heard about these ultrasonic tool holders and ultrasonic spindles that use piezo vibration generators in the tool holder or spindle to vibrate the tool and the efficiency benefits of this.

It's mostly aimed toward metal milling but I'm wondering if this efficiency increase would be found if it was applied to routing of wood.

Any one had any experience with these?

Cheers

Jon

Re: Anyone tried ultrasonic milling?

I've heard of it being used to carve stone, drill beads, and make cameos. But I've never heard of it being used on wood.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

-

Thanks for your replies, so your verdicts, does anyone think it could improve efficiency cutting wood? I go through around £200 in bits a month, I read that with ultrasonic they see tool life increase by 40%. So there's a chance it could save me a thousand a year in tool wear I'm intreagued.

Could be that wood would dampen the vibration, I have no idea.

That's a lot of tooling a month ,I was Interested in Taylor guitars machines they say that they can carve 1,000 plus necks with one tool .

Quote Originally Posted by InMesh View Post
    That's a lot of tooling a month ,I was Interested in Taylor guitars machines they say that they can carve 1,000 plus necks with one tool .
    What tool would that be? ball nose carving the bits last longer, contouring ply all day with 1/4" compression spirals because the part clearance is not big enough to use larger bits. A quality £50+ bit will just about last a pallet of ply (30 sheets) checked with msnufacturers and was told that was as expected. Onsrud lasts the longest and will get through 30 sheets but dulling is evident on the finish in last few sheets.

1000 hardwood necks start to finish and still be sharp tho, I very much doubt that. Large diameter 1/2" + bullnose used for finishing only then possibly.

But carving hardwood and cutting lamininate are two diffrent games all together.

I got you yes just raw wood is what they do large ballnose cutters ,the ply you are doing I believe has abrasive glues in it for sure.