586,106 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

INTERMAC 4000 for Glass??

ahyone here has ever tried to do something like a Glass Countertop using the Intermac 4000? I would like to know experiencies if any. I would also like to know if that is possible.

Regards,

Gustavo.

I think your only worry is the tools you use.

We use ADI tools, they have different tooling for stone and glass.

I have never tried to cut glass with our cnc machines but from what I'm told a stone cnc machine will cut glass.

You should see if, the ADI stone tools work on glass? Maybe change rpm and feedrate?

If the machine cuts stone then glass is nothing for it. I would try the tooling you have and see what happens. I think you need higher spindle RPM for glass than you use on stone.
    Dennis

Gentleman,
    The stone equipment ( both machinery and tools) we use today was developed in the glass industry 20 years ago...it is in the last 15 years with the boom of the stone industry that we have seen the cross over....AGM stands for American Glass Machinery.....There is no difference in the tooling...I compare it to cutting marble...because your density is higher with less pores, a higher RPM is required for a clean cut....I reccommend using the resin polishers if you attempt glass as that is what they were made for originally.....rubbers are useless they have no grit...throw them away if you bought them.

i have done counter tops with a multiwork and with a technorev from bottero on 3/4 thickness glass. but now i use a masterstone 2300 and i intermac jet for cutting glass but is for bullet resistant wind shields and doors.

machine is no problem... but i think the tool´s...

i run for example @ glass

Tyrolit: 4500rpm feed 6-10m/min
    Bavelloni: 6800rpm feed 3m/min

its a 120mm grindwheel for high removal of glass (2-3mm) 15mm thickness.

ask the tool manufacturer

I haven't had the opportunity to do any CNC cutting of glass yet but i've done a lot of cutting, grinding, engraving, and polishing of glass.
    First off there are different types of glass. In order from softest to hardest:
    Lead Crystal
    Soda lime (most common, most glass ware, bottles, most windows)
    borosilica (pyrex is a brand name for this time)
    Fused Silica (for special uses such as windows on the space shuttle)

There is some variation within each classification (except for fused silica), but for cutting purposes you won't notice much difference.

Your most likely using soda lime glass, which is much softer than granite.You can up spindle speed and feed rate. A important thing to keep in mind is that it is much more temperature sensitive than stone. It will chip and or crack very easily, so take extra care to make sure your tool is very coolant saturated, and don't go to crazy on the feed rate.