586,409 active members*
3,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > [Galil DMC 1820] I can't figure out how to operate with Mach3.

[Galil DMC 1820] I can't figure out how to operate with Mach3.

I have a Galil DMC1820 motion controller and I can't figure out how to get it setup with Mach3. I've tried posting on Mach forums but no replies as of yet.

So the DMC1820 goes to an ICM-1900 breakout box and it just controls an XY table of a laser via two MCG Brush type amplifiers (DMC-12D).

When I power it up the card holds the position of the table so you can't move it, and I can enter commands via the Galil terminal program to jog the table, but Mach3 will not connect to the card (errors out), and will not run any motion commands to the table.

So I know that the card and motors are going alright, but I can't get Mach3 to work with it. I'm open to other software as I just want this thing to work again. It was working great but the computer that had the original software in it died so I had to move the card to a new machine.

If I can't figure this out I'm just happy to sell everything and get it out of here so if anyone in the Seattle area is interested in taking a 3 lasers (250W, 250W, 50W) + CNC XY table off my hands let me know.

I'm running the demo program (Mach3) with the Galil plugin. It does find the card in the drop down by the way but no idea how to make it work from there as I've read the manuals from Mach to no success.

Thanks!

Re: [Galil DMC 1820] I can't figure out how to operate with Mach3.

FIXED IT!

I replaced the original Galil plugin with the ST version and now the thing works great.

Side Note - Don't bother wasting your time contacting Galil...They refused to help me find compatible software with their equipment. Seriously poor customer service.

How well does it work with mach3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by iwaskevin View Post
    How well does it work with mach3 ?
    Initial testing it works great. I have to figure out how to change the X-Y calibration though because the X and Y leadscrews are different, and I have to verify it is triggering the laser, but at least the XY table is moving!

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaCNC View Post

Side Note - Don't bother wasting your time contacting Galil...They refused to help me find compatible software with their equipment. Seriously poor customer service.
    I have used Galil products for over 25 yrs now and although Galil produce some great motion control cards, unfortunately apart from Camsoft (Which Galil push) no one seems to have developed a decent front end CNC based software for them to include in their catalogue,
    I would have thought it would have been in their interest to develop one in-house the way that Acroloop did in their hayday whose cards were used by some of the large plasma gantry manuf.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

A couple of years ago I asked Galil why they do not have a "CNC" front end to their motion controllers and basically they told me that CNC is a very very small percentage of their business.