586,035 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Some shapes extrude as solid, others hollow

Some shapes extrude as solid, others hollow

I made a shape with some pins that I want to extrude upwards, some of the pins extrude as solid, while others extrude as hollow.

What am I doing wrong here.

Picture attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2016-06-16 10.36.19.jpg  

Re: Some shapes extrude as solid, others hollow

On problem shapes try creating a planar surface first, then extruding that surface "With Caps"

That would insinuate the shape is either not closed, or not planar....

You can use chain selection and entity summery to check that. Look at any seams on the extruded open shape surface, and zoom into those to look for openings.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    That would insinuate the shape is either not closed, or not planar....

You can use chain selection and entity summery to check that. Look at any seams on the extruded open shape surface, and zoom into those to look for openings.
    I am not sure what planar is. I can tell they are all chained together as I can shift click and hightlight them all at once. The Entities summary looks similar to the features that work. I attached my masterpiece to the post.

Quote Originally Posted by KSky View Post
    I am not sure what planar is. I can tell they are all chained together as I can shift click and hightlight them all at once. The Entities summary looks similar to the features that work. I attached my masterpiece to the post.
    Hey KSky,
    "Planar" is a fancy word for "flat".... FYI

The objects extruding as open shapes have a couple bad intersections on them... Here's a quick video of me finding them and trimming them so they extrude as a closed shape..

https://youtu.be/K1f8OGtKsT4

As a side not, this file has a good illustration of a geometry situation that can be fixed, to help with "filleting" and other operations down the road...

Check back in about ten minutes and I'll post another video of fixing that up in your file...

Here's the tip regarding general modeling technique and the results. A demonstration on "why" it matters.

https://youtu.be/B2qwkCzBDM4

Thank you so very much, that was exactly my problem. I've been doing Bob for a while, and I should have known to check for that but I just didn't see it.

And I really appreciate your video. I never quite understood some of the issues I was having with fillets and that explained it. I have a follow on issue...

I would like to use a 2D toolpath (at least I think it should work better) to cut out the pocket and leave the pins. I haven't been able to select the correct geometry to make the 2D toolpath work. Attached is my most recent attempt.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would like to use a 2D toolpath (at least I think it should work better) to cut out the pocket and leave the pins. I haven't been able to select the correct geometry to make the 2D toolpath work. Attached is my most recent attempt.
    Is this what you are expecting to see?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire toolpath.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	323986

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solid toolpath.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	323988

Yes, without the holes that go through. I was able to do it with a three axis Z-level rough that seems to work ok.

Yes, without the holes that go through. I was able to do it with a three axis Z-level rough that seems to work ok.
    The problem with pocketing on this is the clearance space between features of the pocket. The tooling in you pocket feature doesnt fit at .5 endmill.

my pictures show a .05 endmill using your feature. You'll have to figure out what tool you have that will cut it.

This is what I was trying to do with 2D toolpaths, this is done with 3D toolpaths. it works so I am good. Really appreciate your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2016-06-17 15.52.46.jpg  

This is what I was trying to do with 2D toolpaths, this is done with 3D toolpaths. it works so I am good. Really appreciate your help.
    I see what you meant now with "without the holes"...

Zlevel rough =be aware it's not a floor finishing stategy... so the final depth of it may not be at the floor surface depth....

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    I see what you meant now with "without the holes"...

Zlevel rough =be aware it's not a floor finishing stategy... so the final depth of it may not be at the floor surface depth....
    Suggestions for what to use as a follow on pass?

And is there a better way than my current trail and error to find the best strategy?

Suggestions for what to use as a follow on pass?

And is there a better way than my current trail and error to find the best strategy?
    I would suggest just doing the job as a 2d operation. A pocket with a profile finish in the same strategy feature will be fine. But kindof getting out of any area I can really speak to. The best thing to avoid many hours of trial and error is to just pose the question to the forum. There are quite a few guy's who understand machining process that will help.

Maybe take this file as you have it and post a new thread with a topic asking for advice on how to do it and you will get that kind of response....

Anyway,..........

2D is the choice
    You have much more control
    And if thought out right,,will look better,and be faster

%95 of work I do,,,is 2D,,,,,,
    Unless your doing molds or art,,,most work is 2D,,,,,maybe with the aide of fixtures sometimes too

Could also depend on what machines and tooling you have at you disposal
    Generally,,Lathe work should be done on Lathe,,,BUT,,,,,,,,,,

The only reason I went with 3D is I could not make the selection work in 2D. I've managed to get it sometimes, but I'm not sure of the correct way to go about it once I have the drawing all laid out in 3D, Does the CAM tree selection play a part here?

The only reason I went with 3D is I could not make the selection work in 2D. I've managed to get it sometimes, but I'm not sure of the correct way to go about it once I have the drawing all laid out in 3D, Does the CAM tree selection play a part here?
    Bobcads newer versions have a cool new feature allowing you to select faces of your 3d model or surfaces to use in the 2d operations. But this can also be limiting or require you to jump through some extra hoops. Like with this part you are using that center floor face for the 2d pocket selection, which will include those holes you dont want included.

So just blank the 3d model and make your selections from the 2d geometry to acheive what you want. The 3d model can aid you in picking tops and bottoms if you want.

I just took your file that you first posted and selected it all and ran it as a pocket and finish and it seemed to work fine. I dont know what size tool you are using, seemed like it needed like a 1/8th" em to do around the outer edge. It also worked as an Adaptive Pocket path but it left the outer part undone even with a 1/8" em. You would just have to figure out what would work best to run for what you are trying to do and how fast you want to machine it.