586,076 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question cutting **** of 1mm sterling silver

Hi all,

Im working on a CNC machine 3axe cutting normally wood. one of my customer ask me if it'll be possible to cut "small names" (the one that goes on a neckless)
    and i wonder if itll be possible to find such a small bit. (max 1 mm). anyone ever did this kind of job here?

Also ill take adventage and ask for reccomandations for good and also chip website i can get my bits and drill.

Thanks alot

Re: cutting **** of 1mm sterling silver

Yes, you can find small bits . But that's not going to turn your wood router into a precision mill. While the larger bits used for wood are tolerant of a little runout, the tiny ones used for metal, where the runout of your spindle is a much greater percentage of their diameter, will snap. Holding onto the stock is another problem; small pieces of sheet metal are hard to hold down, and tend to rise up and break cutters, which are quite expensive in small sizes: FRAISA eShop - Fräswerkzeuge

If I had to do this job with a wood router, I'd cut the parts out in wax, which is more forgiving of errors, and send them off for casting.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Yes, you can find small bits . But that's not going to turn your wood router into a precision mill. While the larger bits used for wood are tolerant of a little runout, the tiny ones used for metal, where the runout of your spindle is a much greater percentage of their diameter, will snap. Holding onto the stock is another problem; small pieces of sheet metal are hard to hold down, and tend to rise up and break cutters, which are quite expensive in small sizes: FRAISA eShop - Fräswerkzeuge

If I had to do this job with a wood router, I'd cut the parts out in wax, which is more forgiving of errors, and send them off for casting.
    totally agree, cnc router used on.woodworking,furnitures, cabinets,advertising, making signs,channel letters more

Chencan cnc router from 1998.
    skype marylee0411

drillman1 at Carbide Endmills, BARGAIN BIN items in CARBIDE PLUS store on eBay! has lots of small endmills and drills. He also has a good reputation. I've ordered from him multiple times.