586,069 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Clausing N/C lathe Retrofit

I just began retrofitting a clausing 1550 n/c lathe. I purchased the lathe without a control, but was in working order when the control was removed. From the looks of the manuals that came with the lathe, it looks have been manufactured in the early 70's.

The plan is to use a g100 and mach3 to run this lathe. I have retrofitted a hurco kmb1 and was very pleased with the geckos and mach3. So far I have constructed a 60 volt power supply and wired up the g100 and the g320s. I am having a problem with the encoders. The geckos are not responding to the encoder signals. Once the power supply is started the axis move out of control. I got some advice on a prior post to try and add some pull up resistors. This will be tried over the weekend.

Another problem that I am struggling with is finding suitable motor drive. The original 3 phase and variable speed pulley system were removed and replaced with a large DC servo motor. This was done by a prior owner. The dc motor looks to be about 5 hp from the size of it. I have made a few calls to some motor drive companies and have not much luck finding a suitable drive. I am thinking of taking it out and putting in regular 3 phase motor with a vfd for the speed control.

Here are a few pictures of the lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Unloaded.JPG   Turret.JPG   GearTrain.JPG   Spindle Motor.JPG  

Encoder.JPG   Wiring Up Geckos.JPG  

Centriod has a motor DC motor control that is stand along or can be intergrated into other CNC controls. I have no idea if this is what you need or if it well work for you. I also supect it would not be cheap either. But it might be worth talking to them and see what it is & how much. If I understand what I read about it, then it should work. But I am sure its not going to be priced anything like a Gecko drive is.

Anyway, that a cool lathe you picked up there. That thing should be idea for most people wanting a lathe in this size. I keep hoping to find a Hardinge that has lost its controls. I have found them but they still where not cheap. But I will keep looking. Something will show up. Maybe I will find something like yours, that will work.

Jess