586,075 active members*
3,749 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach Mill > Tool path not displaying design in the correct position
Page 1 of 3 123

Tool path not displaying design in the correct position

Hi all,
    Needs some help I have a small hobby mill from open builds running Mach 3, G540, ESS. I down loaded Vectric Aspire demo to design a dust boot, finished the design and find out you can't save the G-code. So I send off a DFX of the design to a friend that does pearl inlay with Vectric to save the design to Mach2/3 arcs.txt, He sent it back to me and loaded it up. Heres the problem all the dust boot plates show up the material on the top right hand side (picture attached). I have reinstalled Mach 3 and tried setting IJ to incremental in General settings. the design should be in the centre of a 220mm x 150mm 10mm work piece of acrylic. Every thing shows in the right place in Aspire is there something I am not doing in the design side that would cause this. I am also trying to to learn Fusion 360 but I drowning on the CAM side and was told by mate to try Vectric software which is great to use. Appreciate any help.
    Cheers
    Peter

Re: Tool path not displaying design in the correct position

Did you set zero And then move the head? The plot will move the picture in relation to the head. Try setting zero then load the gcode without moving the head out of the way
    Dave
    In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

Hi Beone I ref all home then move to work area probed then zeroed X and Y then regen tool path and didn't move head from there. As this 10mm acrylic here in Aussie land is $49.00 for 2' X 1' piece don't want it go wrong. Can test on mdf but I need to be able to flip the parts in the work area and have dowels for work piece position.
    Peter

Acoustic and Electric guitars and Basses.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunes View Post
    Hi all,
    Needs some help I have a small hobby mill from open builds running Mach 3, G540, ESS. I down loaded Vectric Aspire demo to design a dust boot, finished the design and find out you can't save the G-code. So I send off a DFX of the design to a friend that does pearl inlay with Vectric to save the design to Mach2/3 arcs.txt, He sent it back to me and loaded it up. Heres the problem all the dust boot plates show up the material on the top right hand side (picture attached). I have reinstalled Mach 3 and tried setting IJ to incremental in General settings. the design should be in the centre of a 220mm x 150mm 10mm work piece of acrylic. Every thing shows in the right place in Aspire is there something I am not doing in the design side that would cause this. I am also trying to to learn Fusion 360 but I drowning on the CAM side and was told by mate to try Vectric software which is great to use. Appreciate any help.
    Cheers
    Peter
    You need your I/J settings to look like this, check were you part 0.0 is in your drawing
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You need your I/J settings to look like this, check were you part 0.0 is in your drawing
    Hi Mactec54, thats how I have it setup IJ mode Inc and Distance Mode Absolute. I have zero set up on the bottom left the picture I posted.
    Peter

Hi Mactec54, thats how I have it setup IJ mode Inc and Distance Mode Absolute. I have zero set up on the bottom left the picture I posted.
    Peter
    So your Drawing 0.0 is the same as you machine setup 0.0, if this is correct, then there is a problem with your drawing, or how the code has been processed

Post your DXF file and what size cutter you are using and I will take a look at it
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    So your Drawing 0.0 is the same as you machine setup 0.0, if this is correct, then there is a problem with your drawing, or how the code has been processed
    Yes thats the deal so far I am currently going through the tutorial of the sample file for Aspire to save the G-code and load it up ind see if my drawing. I will post the DFX, do you want the whole design or just part as its made up of 4 parts ? Thanks for your help mactec54.
    Peter

Hi I have attached the outer rim design for my dust boot as DXF file, The size of the cutter is Amana tool 1/8th single flute spiral Plastic cutter 1/4 shank 51411 let me now if you need more.
    Peter

Hi all,
    Well I managed to design a simple plate for my dust extractor in Fusion 360 and save a toolpath for Mach 3. This to is showing in Mach 3 Toolpath in the top right corner of the the work material instead of being just off centre. I have attached the G-code and a screen capture of what it looks like in Mach 3. So thats aspire and Fusion doing it and I am trying to get one from Meshcam demo as well. This is doing my head in need to get cutting but this has me stumped
    I f some could load this G-code up and check the position on work piece for me. The work piece is X 205mm Y 225 Z 33mm. There is most likely mistakes in regards to tool choice but I am still learning.
    Cheers
    Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks the same here, so I would say your issue is with Aspire and Fusion 360.
    Center is roughly 106,131
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank ger21 for checking I just did the same dxf in meshcam to and same result . Any ideas were to start looking ?

Looking at your other .dxf, the toolpaths coordinates match the .dxf coordinates. You need to move the .dxf to where you want it. Either in the CAD program that it was drawn in, or in the CAM program before you create toolpaths.

Or, in Mach3, just zero your X and Y axis to position the part where you want it to be.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Neptunes

Ok found some time to look at your part the drawing is really messed up,this is what it looks like when I open it, Note where the X0Y0 is, this is part of your problem

You have lots of lines when they should've just been arc's, I will redraw it, where do you want the X0 Y0 to be, and what is the Radius of the smaller end of the plate
    Mactec54

Hi mactec54 thanks for checking out the dxf. The radius of the smaller end plate is 42mm and the X0Y0 is ment to be bottom left. The work material is meant to be 220X and 150Y and Z10 mm with the design centred 75mm x 110mm. Not sure why there is open vectors as I used the join all open vectors, I thought that is meant to make it all one piece. Cheers mate thank you again
    Peter

Neptunes

See how this looks you should be able to make your tool path with the DXF file
    Mactec54

Wow that's great mactec54 will load it up after I pick up my son from school what do you use for cad/cam if I may ask.
    Thanks
    Peter

Wow that's great mactec54 will load it up after I pick up my son from school what do you use for cad/cam if I may ask.
    Thanks
    Peter
    I have most of the popular Programs, GibbsCam is my favorite, this is to spendy for most though
    Mactec54

Hey all, no luck with the DXF Mactec54 sent me. Tried 3 different cam programs Bobcat, Artcam, etc, and all the same result as the last picture I posted, design is in the top right corner. I have attached the G-code from one of the cam programs. Also I have attached my XML incase its something I have screwed up in Mach 3 settings.
    Cheers
    Peter

As I said in a previous post:
    You need to move the .dxf to where you want it. Either in the CAD program that it was drawn in, or in the CAM program before you create toolpaths.

Or, in Mach3, just zero your X and Y axis to position the part where you want it to be.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Hey Ger21 that's what I attempted to do centre of the 220 X 150 work area not sure what I am doing wrong, more research on the way.

the design should be in the centre of a 220mm x 150mm 10mm work piece of acrylic
    I believe that it is.......
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 1 of 3 123