586,121 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 16 12311

Started building new 5 X 10 table today

Started on some of the smaller parts I have already created CAD drawings of. I don't have everything I need gathered up for the build but though I'd try & get a few things out of the way.

Pictured below is a bearing truck I am going to use on the X axis. Have more to go on it but at least it's a start.

The bearings I used for this are high precision double row left over from another job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry runner 1.jpg  
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Smile I will follow you

Hi:
    I will follow your project. I will like to build one. Fisrt I will see how it goes.

ATT
    chakill

Quote Originally Posted by santiago lisboa View Post
    Hi:
    I will follow your project. I will like to build one. Fisrt I will see how it goes.

ATT
    chakill
    I am making enough CAD drawings to get myself through this build without having to backtrack & do over. At least keep it to a minimum. I am also keeping a list of materials purchased.

It will by no means be a complete set of plans or parts list. But I will of course be most willing to share any plans or ideas I might have.

And as always, I'm open to suggestions.

Not much building going on right now. Mostly gathering up parts, Ebay etc. I have ordered & received a large part of the steel, tubing, etc. for my basic table frame. I'm wanting to hold off on the table itself till I have lots of the smaller components, like the piece pictured above, built. I don't want to commit enough of my floor space for the table to just sit there in my way while I machine & fit all these smaller parts together.

I have my stepper motor sizes calculated & a few other things. Hoping to get started on motor mounts & primary belt reductions soon. I need to get notched belts & pulleys plus some bearings in. & I'll begin construction on those

Why not build the Mechmate? The hard work is already done and there is a support forum.

Looked at the Mechmate, As with most other plans & kits out there there are things I like & things I dislike about them. So I decided to "roll my own".

In my case the table will most likely be used daily & will be used by more than 1 person. If I were the only one using it I could pop rivet tin together & make it last for years. If the hired help uses it It needs to be built & precision parts protected to the point you could park a truck on it & use it for a grease rack....

I understand what you mean. I used to buy the finest tools because I wanted my guys to have the best allowing them to do excellent work but they destroyed everything I ever brought into the shop. Now I buy adequate tools and they still do excellent work but I save a bundle when they tear up the tools.

X rail mount

I am using round rail 1 1/8" 1045 CRR for my "X" axis. Below is a picture of 1/4" strap iron I have drilled plug weld holes & 5-40 tapped holes for set screws to clamp the rail in.

This will allow me to rotate the round rail or replace it if wear develops where the bearings contact it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC rail clamp drawing.jpg   CNC rail clamp 002.jpg  

Looks good! Keep it going and don't let the weather slow you down!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Rail-Beam assembly

Managed to get one of my beams & rail fabricated up. On to the other side now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC beam and rail assembly 001.jpg   CNC beam and rail assembly 002.jpg   CNC beam and rail assembly 003.jpg   CNC beam and rail assembly 004.jpg  

Arrow Good Start!

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    Managed to get one of my beams & rail fabricated up.
    Congratulations & thanks for the photos!

It looks as if you are off to a good start!
    That beam & rail looks just like your drawing a couple posts back.

The Hobart MG in the last photo, is like one that I have fed miles of wire with.

Quote Originally Posted by Weldtutor View Post
    Congratulations & thanks for the photos!

It looks as if you are off to a good start!
    That beam & rail looks just like your drawing a couple posts back.

The Hobart MG in the last photo, is like one that I have fed miles of wire with.
    That old rascal has the best arc of anything in my shop. In fact it may be the best MIG welding machine I have ever used. If it just wasn't so noisy LOL. I mainly use it anymore as a back up machine. I ran it for about a week & 1/2 recently. The fan motor went out in my 400A Linde (another piece of history). ESAB didn't have a replacement on the shelf. so I had to improvise. Thank goodness for Ebay.....

Second X Beam & rail

Finished the second beam & rail. Shown in the pictures below, first one on the left, I had to mill the edge of my box tubing. It was sunken in the center about .015" I was afraid it would cup the CRS flat bar when I bolted it down. The other 3 are of the finished rail. Whew, Glad that project is over with. There is 29 tapped holes in the beam & of course slightly oversized holes in the rail to allow for some alignment after table is welded up.

I am going to put them back on the rack for now. Lots of other small stuff to fab up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC beam and rail assembly side 2 003.jpg   CNC beam and rail assembly side 2 004.jpg   CNC beam and rail assembly side 2 005.jpg   CNC beam and rail assembly side 2 006.jpg  

Haven't posted in a while. I have accumulated most of what I need for my table now. Rack & pinion gearing, notched belts, pulleys & bearings for the reductions. Should have most all the structure steel I need here, other than the burning slats.

I've been sidetracked a couple weeks because of equipment breakdowns, increased work load & my grandaughter cheerleading for her schools basketball team :banana:

Gantry rail

Received word form the fine folks at CandCNC that my goodies I have ordered from them will be arriving soon. This prompted me to make a little time to make another part for my table

Decided to mount my linear rail across the gantry. I had everything ready to drill & tap the holes for the precision rail & found the box tubing to be cupped between .005 & .020. More than I really wanted to live with. So I milled the tube from end to end before mounting the rail.

I have included a CAD drawing of the end view of my table & gantry as it stands now. It is a drawing in progress, I wanted something to build from. I will ammend the drawing as I make changes in the actual design.

More later tonight or in the morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Gantry 003.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linear Rail

Yipee!! Have the linear rail mounted now. I had some trouble tapping the 42 metric screw threads to mount the rail. I usually don't have any trouble with small threads like these. I'm going to blame the tap(s). Most of what I do in my machine shop is larger fractional size threading. I don't normally keep small metric taps on hand. So I decided Imports would be ok for this 1 off job. NOT! Be American, Buy American I guess. Or at least high quality European.

The linear rail is in (2) pieces. I was worried about getting the ends to mate good enough that the slide wouldn't "bump" as it went across the joint. I snugged the screws slightly, then bumped the rails side to side using a small piece of nylon & wood mallet. After a bit of trial & error I had the truck gliding across the joint. Then as a final test I laid a 40" precision straight edge beside the rails, across the joint, to be sure I didn't have to much of a "U" across the 2 pieces of linear rail. I couldn't get a .004 feeler gauge to slide in anywhere, so all is good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Gantry 005.jpg   CNC Gantry 006.jpg   CNC Gantry 007.jpg   CNC Gantry 008.jpg  

Torch Mount

Below is a CAD drawing of my Ox/A torch mount. I am going to use a linear actuator & manual jog on the OX/Fuel torch. When I mount the plasma in the near future I will use my THC on it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

More Of The Build

Worked on my OX/FUEL torch heigh control today. I scrounged the angle attachment on eBay. It's from a L-Tec cantilever machine torch. Thought it might come in handy sometime down the line.

I Hope to get my linear actuator mounted later this evening.

Then on to the rack & pinion gear & belt reduction for the gantry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC OX THC 001.jpg   CNC OX THC 002.jpg   CNC OX THC 003.jpg   CNC OX THC 004.jpg  

Lookin' good, Millman!
    Have you thought about making an "A" axis, so you can automate the rotation of the torch in your software, for beveling?
    Still impressed with the attention to detail and the excellent workmanship, keep it up!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb View Post
    Lookin' good, Millman!
    Have you thought about making an "A" axis, so you can automate the rotation of the torch in your software, for beveling?
    Still impressed with the attention to detail and the excellent workmanship, keep it up!
    Boy that would be slicker-N- Well I'll save that thought.

I think I'll concentrate on just getting it cutting for right now.

I do cut a part though that it would be very handy for. It's a rectangle of 1" that has to have the short ends beveled back for welding. sure would be nice not to have that 2nd. operation to deal with.

Page 1 of 16 12311