586,094 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Couple of dumb questions for new PCNC1100 Setup

Couple of dumb questions for new PCNC1100 Setup

Does anyone have the wiring schemetic for the dual coolant systems....tormach sells the kit, but no instructions for the setup. It looks to be stuff I could just buy at Home Depot...

Second, I'll admit dumb here....does the filter/regulator/lubricator go before both the fogbuster and powerdraw bar or just the powerdraw bar....I would assume just the powerdraw bar, but it doesn't say...

Neither of my USB extension cables work....if I plug direct into the USB ports, the keyboard and mouse work fine...but neither shows up when the extension is used. Any ideas? I would think its a voltage issue, but the manual says not to use a USB hub.

Also, does anyone know how much oil comes out with either the manual or auto oiler? I got the manual unit, but I got a brand new auto oiler in an auction lot....the tormach one is set to release for 8 seconds every two hours....tormach had no info how much is exactly released. My unit is set to go every 30 minutes, but I can adjust the output at 3, 4, 5, or 6 cc of oil...

Sorry for the dumb questions....Tormach didn't really give me anything useful to the above issues.

Later EddieO

Re: Couple of dumb questions for new PCNC1100 Setup

On the USB question. Check your manuals, I think there is something about which USB controls things like the jog shuttle v/s keyboard. Are you using the Tormach controller or your own computer?
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

I built my own computer...I wasn't gonna pay $750 for something I built for less than $175 with pathpilot and the card. My computer has USB 3 ports on it, which is what the tormach unit tells you to plug them into.

Later EddieO

Quote Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
    .does the filter/regulator/lubricator go before both the fogbuster and powerdraw bar or just the powerdraw bar....
    Just in front of the PDB. You don't want to lubricate your fog buster.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Just in front of the PDB. You don't want to lubricate your fog buster.
    Don't mean to derail this thread but this brings up a question I've been wondering about. I'm about to put in my order for a power drawbar. I've got a bunch of extra air line filter/regulators just lying around my shop. None of them include a lubricator. Do you guys see any reason I couldn't just use one of my filter/regulators and then manually add a few drops of oil to the air line feeding the power drawbar at the begining of each session? You know kind of like you do with a nail gun.

If you are like me you will forget! Why not just buy a lubricator? They are very cheap on eBay: AIR Line Lubricator Unit 1 4" Ports FOR AIR Compressors 800L MIN | eBay for one of dozens of examples.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    If you are like me you will forget! Why not just buy a lubricator? They are very cheap on eBay: AIR Line Lubricator Unit 1 4" Ports FOR AIR Compressors 800L MIN | eBay for one of dozens of examples.
    Oh wow that is cheap. Good call!

So this thread is spending some time on PDB cylinder lubrication, and got me thinking, I didn't recall a requirement for lube, so I pulled out the installation bulletin, and it says lubrication is not required. My bulletin is dated 2/1/2011, and it's possible Tormach made a change later. I've had the PDB since about 2012 and haven't experienced any issues.

So I guess my question is, is lube a good idea anyway, if so what kind of oil are folks using, and finally are most PDB (Tormach) users in fact using oil in the air line to the unit.

Terry

Both the current ATC and PDB installation manuals suggest installing a lubricator. I don't know when the change was made but my 770 PDB was purchased about a year ago. The manual suggest using "standard air tool oil" with no other details.

Thanks for the update! LoL.

I ordered a lubricator from eBay, I've got some kind of oil somewhere in my "pile'o stuff" that I use for hand held air tools, I guess I can start with that.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I didn't recall a requirement for lube, so I pulled out the installation bulletin, and it says lubrication is not required. My bulletin is dated 2/1/2011, and it's possible Tormach made a change later. I've had the PDB since about 2012 and haven't experienced any issues.

So I guess my question is, is lube a good idea anyway, if so what kind of oil are folks using, and finally are most PDB (Tormach) users in fact using oil in the air line to the unit.

Terry
    I bought my Tormach PDB and was also told not to lubricate the PDB supply air so I ran it "dry" for quite a while. Mine started leaking air about a year later and tech support told me that they'd erroneously been told by the manufacturer that lubed air was not necessary and that they now recommended oil in the air line. Since then, I've been using air tool oil from Harbor Freight with one of those inline compressed air oilers. I just put in new seals from Tormach's PDB seal kit and the old ones actually looked pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by extdrive View Post
    Do you guys see any reason I couldn't just use one of my filter/regulators and then manually add a few drops of oil to the air line feeding the power drawbar at the begining of each session?
    I might be mistaken, but if you go to the manufacturer's website for the pneumatic cylinders in the PDB, IIRC they are spec'd as not requiring lubrication.

Tormach might have discovered some reason to override the manufacturer's recommendation, but I find it hard to believe that the pneumatic cylinders in the PDB are cycling anywhere near as much as they would in another commercial application.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Tim, just for grins, do you have a link for the cylinder manufacturer's website?
    Terry

I think that it might be this one:

CQ2100 X 12-3

Mike

Thanks Mike.

So I got my lubricator, and it has an adjustment for the amount of oil to be added to the air, does anyone have an idea how much oil I should use? I'm guessing, not much, since the cylinder duty cycle is so low.

Terry

I believe that the amount of oil added is proportional to the amount of air consumed so the duty cycle is not relevant. I set mine to roughly mid-range. The Tormach manuals don't provide any guidance. A phone call to Tormach and an update here would be good!

So I did call Tormach, and was told there is a tech bulletin because they sell a regulator/lubricator (P/N 32457) and it explains how to adjust the oil flow for their unit. Unfortunately I didn't buy their's ($90.00), but a generic one from eBay ($14.00), and the knobs are somewhat different. O well, I'm just going to leave mine set at 5 on the 0-10 scale and see what happens. If the cylinder starts dripping oil, I'll dial it back.

Terry