586,100 active members*
2,853 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice on Dual Plasma Router Table

I've been looking for a Plasma/Router Table (4'x8') to cut aluminum and steel with the Plasma and cut 2D shapes out of 1" or thinner foam with a Rotozip type tool or small router. I haven't been able to find a table that will do both easily and at a resonable cost. I'm trying to keep the budget below $12,000 for a complete setup including the Torch.

I looked at DynaCNC and they have a table that is designed for this but it more expensive than some of the other tables. I looked at PlasmaCAM but I really wanted an 8' table. I thought I found a solution with Torchmate but their DHC isn't integrated with there Z axis so you have to spend $2400 for DHC then spend $2200 to add the Z axis option for the router with no easy way to switch between the two. I've looked at several other tables but none seem to be suited for this. I also don't want to build a complete Gantry from scratch. So I'm wondering if this configuration might work...

Purchase Torchmate 2 Gantry Kit
    Build necessary table myself
    Purchase Torchmate Z axis
    Use CandCNC DHC with Mach3 (should work with TM Z axis, right?)
    Modify Z axis mount to support Rotozip type tool attachment
    Use SheetCAM Software

Does this sound like it would work? I would assume the DHC from CandCNC would work with the Z axis from torchmate. What I don't know is how well sheetcam will work with Plasma and a router. Can I tell SheetCAM or Mach3 that I'm using a torch or a router and will it properly cut both with the necessary lead in's and trasition heights between cuts that would be different between Plasma and Routing? I haven't used either of these software packages so I'm in the dark on how this all works. I know what both do but not how well they would do it in a Plasma/Router configuration on the same machine.

Any other suggestions for this setup would be appreciated.

First I'll tell you that a "mixed" table is a bad idea. All that being said if you want to forge ahead then if you select a machine running (or that can run) MACH3 as the controller, switching between the two (THC and Normal Z height control) is simply a process of swtiching profiles in MACH at startup. The MP1000-THC is also a basic 3/4 axis interface and since the THC function uses a normal Z axis setup it can be used either way. The MP1000 ships with a satellite Input and remote relay card (Table I/O card) and it has a 30A relay on it so can be used to turn on a router, or spindle.

Biggest headache will be your dealing with the cutting surface changover and the plasma dust extraction VS the flying bits of foam (:-)

Torchmate uses the Flashcut pulse card interface that only works with their software. It won't run with MACH3. I don't know what kind of motor drives they use but they have to be Step & Dir.

One of the digs I have seen posted against Torchmate was the lightness of their gantry design since it's intended for plasma (no contact) cutting. I realize foam cutting is pretty close to no contact but you might not be happy if you decided to do some routing in harder materials.

We will post this weekend a new series of "kits" for plasma cutting that have all of the electronics (Controller, DTHC, Motors (stepper or servo) , cables, interface cards, cabinets,etc) as a package that is optimized and integrated/tested as a unit.

We do not plan on offering the mechanical/hardware side of the solution but we want to make the electrical/electronic as plug-n-go as possible.

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Tom,

Thank you for the input! I actually just bought a DynaCNC Dual Plasma/Router table yesterday. I was able to get a really good deal to the point where it just didn't make sense to attempt to build a table or try to make a table that wasn't designed for Dual Plasma/Routing to work with Dual Plasma/Routing like the Torchmate system.

I completly understand your suggestions about staying away from a Dual setup but since I'm using this in a part time business I just need the flexibility and can't afford two tables. As I'm sure you know the DynaCNC is a Mach3 table and uses the MP1000-THC, so it looks like I picked the right setup anyway!

Thanks again for reafirming what I purchased. I may be using your kit to build my own table in the future. Being able to purchase all the electonic components together would help alot of people out who want a reliable system (electronically) that wouldn't be able to put one together.

Thanks again.

Jim