586,106 active members*
3,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Nose Alingment

I got a used Cincinnati Arrow 500 and wanted to setup the tool changer. Unfortunately the machine crashes when changing tools due to the Index nose not being in the right position.
    Do i have to tamper with the sensor in the head to get the nose aligned or is there a function in the software to align the nose?
    We have the Acramatic 21000 control and the machine is from 1997.

All tips are appreciated.....thanks

Re: Spindle Nose Alingment

What kind of control your machine is equipped with?
    I have some instructions for Fanuc Oi Mc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a problem with spindle height position during the tool change but it was due to the battery going bad and machine lost the memory of its zero position. Because of that I had to go back set the zero on all axis and than everything went back to normal. If I am correct M6 command is a subrutine which shouldn't be messedwith. Highly unlikely there is something wrong with it. But if machine during the M6 routine goes to incorrect height thinking that it went home but it didn't than it comes down certain distance from that point and stops to low.
    Than when the tool holder presents itself or a carousel comes up to the spindle than it crashes. I would check that possibility first. I have some notes from the time I was figuring it out but this is all I know about it.

Thanks for the fast response....

Ok i guess i have to give a bit more info's.....the tool change itself is working correct the spindle in the right position and the tool goes in the taper correct.
    But the index block (nose) on the spindle is in the wrong position. So it will not clamp and show a error message. It should be in 180 degree with the indexer in the carousel. But that is not the case.
    I guess i can manipulate the prox sensor in the head but some how i think it has worked for the pre owner so i would hope there is a software point to go and adjust the position and save the new position.

Again it is a Acramat 2100 controller

Search here or Google Acramat 2100 spindle orientation problem.
    I found few threads about it on Cnc zone and practical machinist.
    There are few suggestions there. from parameters all the way to belt adjusting pulley so the keys are perpendicular to the to changer.
    Good luck
    I have never worked with this co controller.

The A2100 control tells the spindle drive to orient and the drive orients the spindle and tells the control that it is oriented. You need to connect a computer and software to the spindle drive to offset the orient position. This can happen when the motor belt is changed and the spindle alignments are not correct.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Perhaps marking the position of the spindle motor pulley as it sits when orientation of the spindle was performed. Loosening up the belt and adjusting spindle position so the keys are aligned properly may be a trick. tighten the belt afterwards without changing the spindle motor pulley position. It's simple and doesn't require software and computer connection. Tricky but it can be done in my opinion.

Yes, but you must make sure that the belts teeth are matched and that one belt is not shifted one tooth from the other belts. When we change the belts we put an alignment mark across all the belts to make sure that all of the belts are on the same tooth. If not, the spindle will be VERY loud when running. You must also get the correct belt tension or the spindle will be VERY loud. If the spindle sounds quiet then we just go with the computer and adjust the drive.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Spindle Nose Alingment

Good info about spindle noise.
    How is that exactly causing noise. Shouldn't belt run nice and happy in any position?
    How one would ever know how to position new belt if replaced.
    Just curious.
    Regards

Most machines that we work on has 3 to 5 thin timing belts between the spindle motor and the spindle. It is VERY easy to get a belt 1 tooth out of time with the other belts and causing a loud noise at higher speeds. That is why we mark the belts to keep them in time when installing. On the belt that is not in time it would be loose on one side of the pulley and tight on the other side when compared to the other belts and that will cause the noise. If it was all one belt it would not be a problem.