586,060 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

92 VF1 Drive issues

Having problems with my Y axis drive board. I'm getting a alarm 104 following error too large. Been trouble shooting to figure out the problem. Ruled out that its not the Servo Motor or cable when i swap the wires from the Y Drive to the X Drive. Was able to home the Y axis after doing that. Then I thought i could use the A axis drive card but when i connect the wires i get an over current alarm so that board might be bad also or not set up to drive the X,Y,or Z thought i read somewhere if its a Rev D you could. Then i checked the 10A Ceramic fuse on top of the drive board with the multi meter on the Y axis board and the top one was blown. So i swapped one from the A drive board and it blew as soon as i tried to home the Y axis.

Any suggestions what to check for next or is the board bad. Reading on forums sounds like its rare for these to go but the Z axis looks newer and has been changed to Rev F instead of Rev D on the X, Y, and A.

So i bought a new used Drive Board Rev F X,Y,Z only. Went to fire it up and now i got a X axis over current alarm. Checked all the ceramic fuses on the drive cards and they were good. Checked the 1/2 Amp fuses on the drive power supply board and the bottom one was blown. So no one in town had any 1/2 amp fuses so i put 1 amp in just to see if it would work. Had my son hit the power on while i was in back watching to see if the other 1/2 amp or 1 amp would blow and the 1/2 amp fuse started to glow then it went. So put the other 1 amp in place of the 1/2 amp in I know i shouldnt do that but wanted to see if the machine would work and it did. I was able to power it up with no alarms and homed the machine. Fired the spindle up to let it warm up 10-15 min went by and both the 1 amp fuses blew and it smelt a little hot inside the cabinet. So i found some 1/2 amp fuses and disconnected the new/used Y drive thought maybe that had a short going back to the power supply board but both fuses blew as soon as i turn the machine on and now have a X axis over current alarm. Next step i disconnected all the wires from all the drive boards so if there was a short from any of them i would go back installing wires one at a time to each drive. But the fuses blew anyways. So now Im stuck at where to go next. Any help would be great.

Re: 92 VF1 Drive issues

From what I remember on these older machines, you cannot mix Rev D and Rev F drives. Check the servo dist pcb (to the right of drive cards with big blue capacitors). This should also be either Rev d, or Rev f.
    If it is Rev d then try removing the Rev f drive board completely and try turning the machine on without any Rev f boards connected. You will need to insulate the connectors that would have plugged into the missing board. Also you will need to turn off the axis that is no longer plugged in.
    To turn off the axis
    Turn off setting 7 ( parameter lock)
    Go to parameter 1
    This should be x axis bit switches.
    3rd or 4th one down is 'disabled'
    Set this to a '1' to disable the axis.
    There will be 'bit switches' for x y z and a axis.
    Disable whichever ones you need to.

If the machine works like this, then you need a new Rev d drive board, or the new equivalent.

Thanks Haas_man for the reply.

So I disconnect all drive boards replaced the fuses with correct 1/2amp fuses and soon as I power up the machine the fuses blow. So I bought a new servo dist pcb circuit board since it got a little hot when I had the 1amp fuses in. Connected it tonight and still blowing the 1/2amp fuses. Think there might be something wrong with the big blue capacitors or something else that's feeding power or short to the dist pcb board. Also I disabled all axis in the parameters and was able to run the spindle so I don't think the spindle drive is causing any issues.

Any help would be great

s00073055 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sak610 View Post
    Thanks Haas_man for the reply.

So I disconnect all drive boards replaced the fuses with correct 1/2amp fuses and soon as I power up the machine the fuses blow. So I bought a new servo dist pcb circuit board since it got a little hot when I had the 1amp fuses in. Connected it tonight and still blowing the 1/2amp fuses. Think there might be something wrong with the big blue capacitors or something else that's feeding power or short to the dist pcb board. Also I disabled all axis in the parameters and was able to run the spindle so I don't think the spindle drive is causing any issues.

Any help would be great

Just from what I am reading hear the Big Blue capacitors should be ok as it is a new servo dist pcb you have eliminated the Drive Boards for now. I would start looking for a short as you are suspecting first this could be on any of the other plugs attached to the pcb you may need some more 1/2amp fuses for the next step start unplugging cables 1 by 1 until hopefully the fuses survive leave the input power connections (check the input voltages to the pcb are correct) on the board. Components that can short are Capacitors, Resistors especially the ceramic ones, there are other components that short as well but these are the easiest to find.