586,471 active members*
3,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes
Page 26 of 38 16242526272836

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

@kmimax

This is great ! Thank you for your support.

However, I have the problem that I cannot download the zip file. I always get only a file "clear.gif".
    Can you please check it.

Re: What happened to the controller icons at the bottom of the screen?

I am sorry for the delay in replying to this. I appreciate very much the help! I did change the original settings you provided as I was experimenting with the setup to learn what each setting did. I want to home my system in the lower left corner (like the original drawing post) as my lead screws and steppers are slower and most of my work will be in this area. I set everything up in my system as you have shown so I can get all of it working and then I can adjust to my wants later I will try this and I greatly appreciate your help!

Hello everyone,

once again I would like to give you a short overview of the latest developments on the programme.
    This time I have been working on the production of wings for aircraft modelling.
    I confess that I don't really know anything about this and therefore depend on tips and suggestions for improvement from the modellers among you.
    In the short video I show how to simulate the GCode of the program JediCut in GrblGru.
    But I have also made a "WingCreator" with which you can construct wings yourself. I would like to tell you more about this in the next video.

Have fun with GrblGru

hello, thank you for finding this program, I'm very new to this, I'm with laser and one of my problems is that I don't know how to configure for the Y axes for double motor in ramps 1.6, just use a single motor in z axis, sorry for my English.
    i am using mega 2560,ramps 1.6

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the hardware either.
    I assume you want to operate 2 motors on one driver.
    Please have a look here: https://reprap.org/forum/read.php?415,751152

Is there anybody working with the machine named XYZBC on GrblGru ?

I have just started learning how to work with GrblGru V4.6.0.

When I operate my machine with jog buttons of GrblGru in left side,
    3D model does not follow the Grbl controller's response.
    B axis position value in left panel displays C axis position value of my machine.
    C axis position value remains as 0.000 always , even when i press C jog button.
    C jog button or gcode 'G0 C-10' rotates my machine's C axis actually,
    but grblgru's 3D model rotates B axis.
    B jog button or gcode 'G0 B-10' works well on my machine, but grblgru do nothing .

G-codes in the command line mode works fine, but grblgru 3D model's C axis does not follow the actual machine's response.

For example, as you can see in the attachment,
    grbl reports like as:
    "Idle|WPos:-394.377,-87.361,-50.452,6.187,-277.872|FS:0,0"

but grblgru left panel( Actual WorkPosition?) shows B as -277.872 and C as 0.000.

What's wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GrblGru XYZBC test.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post

@kmimax

This is great ! Thank you for your support.

However, I have the problem that I cannot download the zip file. I always get only a file "clear.gif".
    Can you please check it.
    Hi,
    Everything is fine here. My email: [email protected]
    Attached Files Attached Files

@troutbum2022

Your description indicates that the axes of your controller are not identical with those in GrblGru.
    Choose a different machine with different names for the rotary axes. For example, "Ghetto5axis" uses axes A + B.

I don't know which controller you are using. I use Mega-5X. You have to enter the axis names in the configuration.
    See link below. In the installation directory of GrblGru you will find a hex file for XYZAB axes.

Let me know which axes you need, then I can make a model for you.

Confused about setting up my machine in GrblGru and error messages

Hi GrblGru:

I have finally gotten my machine's hardware working properly (I have had issues with false alarms with limit switches) and have used UGS to do my fine-tuning and set up as it had a setup wizard to guide me on some of the finer details. I went back to my preferred software, GrblGru today to set it up now that I know my machine is working.

I set up the machine details in the Machine menu and in the setting menu. The homing feature works well when I home the machine. But, when I try to move the machine with the arrows on the screen I get error 15 immediately on all axis. I am posting my settings here as I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I know the machine works in UGS when jogging and other movements, so it is a setup issue I have in GrblGru and not sure how to troubleshoot it.

I also am wondering if the machine needs to be "unlocked" in GrblGru after homing to move the axis? Not sure how to do that if it is required.

Thank you for the advice! I hope to start using my machine soon with your great software.

@GrblGru
    Thank you for your reply.

@troutbum2022

Your description indicates that the axes of your controller are not identical with those in GrblGru.
    Choose a different machine with different names for the rotary axes. For example, "Ghetto5axis" uses axes A + B.

I don't know which controller you are using. I use Mega-5X. You have to enter the axis names in the configuration.
    See link below. In the installation directory of GrblGru you will find a hex file for XYZAB axes.

Let me know which axes you need, then I can make a model for you.
    I have built a CNC machine with 5-axes (see myCNC.jpg) .
    That matches XYZBC exactly.
    My controller is Mega-5X (Mega2560+RAMPS1.4) too.
    Attached file diff.txt shows what I have done for the grbl-Mega-5X installation ( see config.h.txt also).

My problem is the simulator does not move B axis when I jog B axis with the button or with the g-code on the command line,
    and when I jog C axis the simulator moves B axis (see jobXY.jpg, jogBC.jpg).

Can you help me?

@MarkEMark

I'm glad you got your machine working and I'm sure we also can solve the rest of the problems.
    Error 15 means that the driving range has been exceeded. The error message comes from the GRBL controller, not from GrblGru.
    You can fix the error by either setting $20 to 0 or, better, by setting $130, $131, $132 correctly.
    I have attached the description of the parameters $20 and $130, $131, $132 below.

Wish you much success

$20 - Soft limits, boolean
    Soft limits is a safety feature to help prevent your machine from traveling too far and beyond the limits of travel,
    crashing or breaking something expensive.
    It works by knowing the maximum travel limits for each axis and where Grbl is in machine coordinates.
    Whenever a new G-code motion is sent to Grbl, it checks whether or not you accidentally have exceeded your machine space.
    If you do, Grbl will issue an immediate feed hold wherever it is, shutdown the spindle and coolant,
    and then set the system alarm indicating the problem. Machine position will be retained afterwards,
    since it's not due to an immediate forced stop like hard limits.
    NOTE: Soft limits requires homing to be enabled and accurate axis maximum travel settings,
    because Grbl needs to know where it is. $20=1 to enable, and $20=0 to disable.

$130, $131, $132 – [X,Y,Z] Max travel, mm
    This sets the maximum travel from end to end for each axis in mm.
    This is only useful if you have soft limits (and homing) enabled, as this is only used by Grbl's soft limit feature to check
    if you have exceeded your machine limits with a motion command.

@troutbum2022

Based on your error description, I checked my interface module again yesterday and found an error. I wanted to write to you today, but you beat me to it.

I didn't understand in your config file why you programmed the Y-axis twice. I don't know if it works like that.

There is a new version V4.6.6 on my website which should fix the error. The installation also contains a new HEX file.
    grbl-Mega-5X-v1.2d_XYZBC_SPINDLE_PWM_ON_D6.hex
    Please load your Mega board with this file. I have tested it and it should work.
    The 2nd Y-axis must be clarified later.

@kmimax
    thank you for your chinese translation.
    I have sent you an email.

GrblGru: thank you for the suggestion. I am going to the shop tonight to see if I can troubleshoot. I might have forgotten to hit the reset button after homing, and that would have thrown the error as well I think. And, I thought of that after posting. During the week when I am working I do not get a chance to play as much! Thank you for the help. I will update what I learn when I solve the issue.

@MarkEMark

I'm glad you got your machine working and I'm sure we also can solve the rest of the problems.
    Error 15 means that the driving range has been exceeded. The error message comes from the GRBL controller, not from GrblGru.
    You can fix the error by either setting $20 to 0 or, better, by setting $130, $131, $132 correctly.
    I have attached the description of the parameters $20 and $130, $131, $132 below.

Wish you much success

$20 - Soft limits, boolean
    Soft limits is a safety feature to help prevent your machine from traveling too far and beyond the limits of travel,
    crashing or breaking something expensive.
    It works by knowing the maximum travel limits for each axis and where Grbl is in machine coordinates.
    Whenever a new G-code motion is sent to Grbl, it checks whether or not you accidentally have exceeded your machine space.
    If you do, Grbl will issue an immediate feed hold wherever it is, shutdown the spindle and coolant,
    and then set the system alarm indicating the problem. Machine position will be retained afterwards,
    since it's not due to an immediate forced stop like hard limits.
    NOTE: Soft limits requires homing to be enabled and accurate axis maximum travel settings,
    because Grbl needs to know where it is. $20=1 to enable, and $20=0 to disable.

$130, $131, $132 – [X,Y,Z] Max travel, mm
    This sets the maximum travel from end to end for each axis in mm.
    This is only useful if you have soft limits (and homing) enabled, as this is only used by Grbl's soft limit feature to check
    if you have exceeded your machine limits with a motion command.

I have another question about equipment that maybe you all can help direct me to. I would like to add a homing plate for my z-axis and a hand keypad to move my machine. I think they are called a pendant. I have seen some people use old Nintendo controllers, but I am wondering if you can point me in a direction that will help me determine what I need to get. This is probably needing to be wired into my controller somehow, but any advice that Woodpoint me in the right direction to add this to my homemade machine would be helpful. I’d like both of these to be added to my machine. Thank you for the help!

@GrbuGru
    Actually I have inspired to build my own machine by your great works GrblGru and grbl-Mega-5X.
    Thank you.

@troutbum2022

Based on your error description, I checked my interface module again yesterday and found an error. I wanted to write to you today, but you beat me to it.

I didn't understand in your config file why you programmed the Y-axis twice. I don't know if it works like that.

There is a new version V4.6.6 on my website which should fix the error. The installation also contains a new HEX file.
    grbl-Mega-5X-v1.2d_XYZBC_SPINDLE_PWM_ON_D6.hex
    Please load your Mega board with this file. I have tested it and it should work.
    The 2nd Y-axis must be clarified later.
    I have designed my machine to have two Y axis ( clone ) , for the reason of heavy gantry.

First, I'm testing GrblGru v4.6.6, and the movement of the B-axis and C-axis has been improved. GOOD! Thank you for your help.
    However, continuous jogging causes an fatal error.
    {Alarm:
    Something has gone critically wrong
    It's recommended to check axes position.}

I haven't tried .hex file yet.
    I'll try it out and report back in detail later.

Thanks again. Have a nice day.

GrblGru:

I have verified the settings in GRBL set correctly, and I can operate correctly in Universal Gcode Sender (UGS).

The machine physically moves to the home position in the correct position in GrblGru and in UGS when running the homing ($H) command.

UGS does not have the functionality your great program does, so I only used UGS to calibrate my machine because it has a great machine setup wizard that adjusts the fine-tuning of the individual axis.

After setting my calibration and saving the config file and it is uploaded to the Arduino, I open GrblGru.

When I open GrblGru, and it loads the model of my table, the Z axis is in the opposite position of the actual home even though the homing process works correctly in GrblGru. Z home position is in the max positive position (169mm) and the x and y axis are showing in the correct position. I don't know how to fix this so it shows the Z home in the upper most position. This is my first problem, but more minor than the rest.

More concerning is that I do not seem to be able to make changes that work in the program.When I change the axis minimum and maximum settings, it will still through alarm 15 claiming I am exceeding maximum travel limits even though the system is in the home position. I have tried reversing the values in these axis by entering the values in the y and x axis min/max in case I had them incorrectly identified. I thought perhaps that could create the problem if I had misunderstood the axis travel incorrectly. Resetting the system after homing does not fix the problem as I thought it might have needed to be unlocked after homing. That does not seem to work either.

I have placed the screen shots into this post. My max travel settings in the GRBL configuration settings below are calibrated with my limit switches correctly. The steps per mm are correctly set and all in the config.h file is now correct.

CORRECTION: In my Z axis screenshot the 169 was still in the minimum limit when it should have been in the maximum limit. I changed this to test whether I had misunderstood the settings I had originally set. The max is 168 not 169 as set in the Uno Grbl settings.

What is happening is no matter what I do in the settings I cannot get the machine to work as I get alarm 15 travel alarms. So obviously I have the settings somehow incorrect in GrblGru. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? Since it works in UGS, I know my system hardware (and set up there in UBS) works. So it is something I have to do in GrblGru, and can't see what that is.

In summary (sorry for long a post) :

How do I get the Z axis in the model to show the proper max Z home in the top, not bottom position?
    Why are my limits in the setup dialogs not allowing the system to operate and throwing a limit exceeded alarm? After homing, no matter which direction or which axis will give me an Alarm 15.

Thank you very much for the help! I am so close to being able to use the system!!

Mark

I am happy to reply that GrblGru v4.6.6 is working fine (see the picture).

I have another question, where did the F5000 come from?
    What did I missed?

(I have tried grbl-Mega-5X-v1.2d_XYZBC_SPINDLE_PWM_ON_D6.hex , but it does not fit for my machine have cloned Y axis.
    The alarm in the last message of mine was caused by feed rate too fast.)

Hi i was wondering if its possible to add coil winding functionality? its an additive process.

I recently have found the need for a coil winder,

The coil i need to wind are not circular, they are conical, so its a bit different than the run of the mill winders already on the internet.

The winder therefor needs to use a mandrel (stl file or something) for the coil basic shape. And the possibility to add pauses to the code at a given number of turns to add insulation, binder, voltage taps, etc.

The mandrel shape needs to be aligned to the z axis so the X/Y axis can follow the shape of the mandrel.

Also start position in the x direction needs to be configurable. and the number of turns between each pause. for example 30 turns pause, + 25 turns pause, + 50 turns pause + 200 turns Complete.

The winder would need to accept input for wire shape, is the wire Square, Round, Flat. and well as the wire dimensions 3mm diameter, 2x2mm square 1,5x3mm flat etc.

The x axis needs to move to match the width of the wire for 1 turn of course and the y axis needs to follow the shape of the mandrel (oval, semi square, paralellogram) according to the mandre model. And it would need to account for each layer added in hight. The z axis is the rotational axis of course,

Of course the machine layout/configuration would need to be different. like the attached image.

I would be happy to pay 1000$ for a functional solution for this.

I believe I have fixed the homing location problem (at least in simulation mode). Somehow I misunderstood the minus and plus settings and in the simulation, it works. I am going to try on the machine later. I am hoping it fixes the alarms as well. I am working on the elch.dxf file to set some initial parameters to run the machine and test it in GrblGru. I hope it works! Attached is the settings that work in the simulation mode.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEMark View Post
    GrblGru:

I have verified the settings in GRBL set correctly, and I can operate correctly in Universal Gcode Sender (UGS).

The machine physically moves to the home position in the correct position in GrblGru and in UGS when running the homing ($H) command.

UGS does not have the functionality your great program does, so I only used UGS to calibrate my machine because it has a great machine setup wizard that adjusts the fine-tuning of the individual axis.

After setting my calibration and saving the config file and it is uploaded to the Arduino, I open GrblGru.

When I open GrblGru, and it loads the model of my table, the Z axis is in the opposite position of the actual home even though the homing process works correctly in GrblGru. Z home position is in the max positive position (169mm) and the x and y axis are showing in the correct position. I don't know how to fix this so it shows the Z home in the upper most position. This is my first problem, but more minor than the rest.

More concerning is that I do not seem to be able to make changes that work in the program.When I change the axis minimum and maximum settings, it will still through alarm 15 claiming I am exceeding maximum travel limits even though the system is in the home position. I have tried reversing the values in these axis by entering the values in the y and x axis min/max in case I had them incorrectly identified. I thought perhaps that could create the problem if I had misunderstood the axis travel incorrectly. Resetting the system after homing does not fix the problem as I thought it might have needed to be unlocked after homing. That does not seem to work either.

I have placed the screen shots into this post. My max travel settings in the GRBL configuration settings below are calibrated with my limit switches correctly. The steps per mm are correctly set and all in the config.h file is now correct.

CORRECTION: In my Z axis screenshot the 169 was still in the minimum limit when it should have been in the maximum limit. I changed this to test whether I had misunderstood the settings I had originally set. The max is 168 not 169 as set in the Uno Grbl settings.

What is happening is no matter what I do in the settings I cannot get the machine to work as I get alarm 15 travel alarms. So obviously I have the settings somehow incorrect in GrblGru. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? Since it works in UGS, I know my system hardware (and set up there in UBS) works. So it is something I have to do in GrblGru, and can't see what that is.

In summary (sorry for long a post) :

How do I get the Z axis in the model to show the proper max Z home in the top, not bottom position?
    Why are my limits in the setup dialogs not allowing the system to operate and throwing a limit exceeded alarm? After homing, no matter which direction or which axis will give me an Alarm 15.

Thank you very much for the help! I am so close to being able to use the system!!

Mark

Page 26 of 38 16242526272836