586,089 active members*
3,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes
Page 27 of 38 17252627282937

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

Sorry so many questions! I know you have limited time to answer...

What does Z < 10mm error mean when running the program?

I have reset the z axis tool position in the settings to 14.573 as you originally suggested - my previous graphic said 80.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What does z less than mean.jpg  

Re: What happened to the controller icons at the bottom of the screen?

@MarkEMark

- homing plate for z-axis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps4xE8IXyhw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIScLqz0np8

- hand keypad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSsUbzgWuzo

- Z < 10mm
    This means that the machine only has less than 10 mm to the upper stop of the Z-axis.

For the explanation of the Z-movement I have to go back a bit.
    I always try to represent the 'real' situation on the machine in the simulation as well as possible.
    For this purpose, on the main page in the box 'Stock' there is the input of the 'Thickness' of your raw workpiece and the 'V-Offset' to take into account a possible clamping (e.g. vice).

To set the Z-start height on the real machine, move the Z-axis down until it just touches the workpiece.
    Then you set the Z-axis to 0. I try to reproduce this situation in the simulation, in which I, when taking over the workpiece zero point
    or when changing the tool length L, I set the tool tip to the position that results from 'Thickness' and 'V-Offset'.
    A change of one of these two values therefore also results in a repositioning in the Z-direction.

Something similar happens with the positioning of the white geometry lines. In sim mode, move X and Y to a specific position in the graphic,
    which corresponds to the position of your real machine. Press the 'Set workpiece zero point' button. The white geometry lines are positioned in such a way that the selected reference point is exactly below the workpiece zero point, that the selected reference point is exactly below the tool.

@troutbum2022

I'm glad your machine is running now
    F5000 comes from the settings page, see "jogging feedrate"

@kentthoresen73

A very interesting challenge that I would be very interested in. I am also sure that it could be solved with Mega-5X.
    But it is very different from the GrblGru portfolio. Even though I believe that this is already very wide-ranging.

I have had contact with someone before who has developed a winding machine for kayak paddles.
    The theory is relatively clear, but the practical execution always brings many surprises.
    It took a long time for the machine to run satisfactorily.
    It would certainly be advisable to commission someone who has the appropriate basic knowledge in building such a machine.

Here is a video of the issue I am having now. It is so close...

This video shows the issue I am having. First a quick review:

1. I have tested my machine in Universal Gcode Sender today and it ran a file I created in VCarve Pro perfectly. It homes properly, uses the z Axis touch plate properly, and loads and runs a file properly in UGS.
    2. All settings in Grbl appear to be in order and working then examining the $ codes there.
    3. I open GrblGru and when the machine is connected to the program the homing functions properly and it will home in the top most position of the z axis correctly.
    4. When I load a test file from the Elch/Moose tutorial, the errors occur and the job and location of the file is off. The video will show what is happening.

I notice the z axis works backwards from what it does in the other programs. Pressing the down arrow in GrblGru makes the simulation move upward, and pressing the up arrow makes it move up. And running the cut file to start the cut makes the Z < 10mm show up as before. I am confused as to what is happening. Hopefully the video will show this and you can see what is occuring.

I am so close to it working and I do not want to give up. I downloaded Vcarve today and tested the machine with it and the machine ran the file properly, so it is working. I want it to work with GrblGru! Thanks you for all of the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post
    @troutbum2022

I'm glad your machine is running now
    F5000 comes from the settings page, see "jogging feedrate"
    I have set "jogging feedrate" to 1000 (see pictures).
    It uses this value for X,Y,Z-axis.
    The jogging command is: $J=F1000 g53 g90 y-1200 x-1000. It's OK.
    However, it uses F5000 for B,C-axis, and the command is : $J=F5000 G91 b36000.
    Rotational axes have separate settings and commands ?

I have yet another question:
    In section 4 of settings, "Mapping name C-axis" does not exist.
    Should I mind that?
    What should I describe for "Mapping name A-axis"?
    My model is "XYZBC" again.

Re: What happened to the controller icons at the bottom of the screen?

@GrblGru

Great, as i said i would be happy to pay some money for this and turn the final result over to the community for free use.

If you or someone you know could help me solve this i would be very grateful

@kentthoresen73

A very interesting challenge that I would be very interested in. I am also sure that it could be solved with Mega-5X.
    But it is very different from the GrblGru portfolio. Even though I believe that this is already very wide-ranging.

I have had contact with someone before who has developed a winding machine for kayak paddles.
    The theory is relatively clear, but the practical execution always brings many surprises.
    It took a long time for the machine to run satisfactorily.
    It would certainly be advisable to commission someone who has the appropriate basic knowledge in building such a machine.[/QUOTE]

@MarkEMark

I believe that everything is right with your machine.
    There must be some kind of setting wrong. Thanks for the video, but I can't see any details.
    I don't know why. Maybe the quality is not so good.
    I have sent you a PM with my email address. It's easier to exchange data via email.

@troutbum2022

Oops, sorry that's a bug. I have uploaded a new version V4.7.1 for you. Thanks for your feedback.

The mapping is only for the case that your controller does not know certain axis names.
    In your case Mega-5X knows XYZBC. So you don't have to enter anything here.

@troutbum2022

Oops, sorry that's a bug. I have uploaded a new version V4.7.1 for you. Thanks for your feedback.

The mapping is only for the case that your controller does not know certain axis names.
    In your case Mega-5X knows XYZBC. So you don't have to enter anything here.
    I have downloaded V4.7.3 and everything about XYZBC works fine.
    Thank you for your kind support.

Surfacing tool and wrong picture

Hey GrblGru:

I might have found a bug.

I was playing around with the program tonight and thought I would create a tool path to surface my spoil board. I know I saw you do this in one of the videos but forgot where it was (in which video you did this example). I wanted to add my own tool into the tool databank, and copied the woodruff tool (I believe it was called), The picture was correct at first - it showed a spoil board cutter with dimensions. The tool type was called a "grinding wheel" but the initial default picture was a spoil board fly cutter wheel.

After I modified the parameters of the woodruff tool, I saw the picture had changed to the "grinding wheel" picture somehow, and the fly cutter was gone. I can not find a way to reset the picture. It changed automatically and I can't change it back, as the tool category is indeed "grinding Wheel", so it is showing the correct tool for the category. Perhaps a spoil board fly cutting tool would be a good addition to the toolset eventually with its own category. However, I DID see the woodruff fly cutting picture in the ExampleData folder so I know it is still there, I just don't know how to re-apply it to the spoil board cutting tool.

I also was looking to overlap the cutting path by a 10% margin to make sure I covered the entire board and did not just make paths back and forth that would be the width of my cutting head (38.1mm). So I would like to make the zig-zag pattern overlap each other by about 10%. I have seen this in other programs as a setting in the job creation, but not sure how to do it here in GrblGru.

And, by chance, do you know which video you did the spoil board surfacing video example? I'd like to re-watch it, but after poking around on the youtube page for a while I can not locate it again...

Thanks!

Mark

Yes, you are right. At the moment there is no superordinate tool type that fits the "wood ruff cutter 6mm".
    In the next version I will create a new tool type "Fly_Cutter" and store a picture for it.
    You can help yourself now by copying the file "wood ruff cutter 6mm.jpg" and naming the copy like your new tool is called.
    If there is an image with exactly the same name as the tool, this image will be output.
    Otherwise the image of the tool type will be displayed. See video below

To clean up your spoil board, I recommend that you simply create an appropriately sized rectangle with the 2D templates and then a "pocket spiral" job.
    You can set the overlap with the "StepOver" parameter. But please note that your tool must be able to dip vertically! See pic below

Hi grblgru,
    After test the probe align corner, I have the Message #probingerror.
    I dont understand why because the sequence is correct (movements, speeds, contacts,...). The 4 touch steps are correctly execute.
    in attach pictures
    Do you have an idea ?
    Thanks

The message #ProbingError is displayed if the number of measuring points does not correspond to the expected number.
    In your case, 4 measured values must be received. Please check once whether the points are approached and the tool then moves back.

Also check that $6 is set correctly. $6 must be set according to the probe type. Here is the original GRBL description:
    $6 - Probe pin invert, boolean
    By default, the probe pin is held normally-high with the Arduino's internal pull-up resistor. When the probe pin is low, Grbl interprets this as triggered.
    For the opposite behavior, just invert the probe pin by typing $6=1. Disable with $6=0. You may need a power cycle to load the change.

Another possibility is that you are receiving disturbing pulses. Connect a capacitor of approx. 100 nF to the measuring input.

Please download the current version V4.7.5 again. The missing texts in your screenshot indicate that you do not have the latest version.

Hello dear,
    thank you for this great software and for your helpful videos on Youtube.

i have a question, How to reduce the cutting time at arcs?, i tried to change the "accuracy circle and arcs" from default value of 0.02 to 0.1 but nothing changes and the points still as same also the total time still the same no matter the value i change of the circle accuracy > any help ?

attached image of the settings >>>
    https://ibb.co/cJ5psbr

Unfortunately, I am also not satisfied with the processing of paths that consist of many points. However, this is a matter for the controller, e.g. GRBL.
    The hardware is no longer the fastest.

I have also tried to change the number of points, but if you have too few points, it always stops and speeds up again.
    Besides, you don't get an arc but a polygon with corners.
    To clear out a pocket, I have built in extra circle functions G2 / G3 in the "Spiral" job method. This is processed more quickly. But it is very time-consuming to programme and only works with real arcs. Ellipses or projections are not possible.

I expect that a faster board will be available soon and that the problems can be solved with it.

Unfortunately, I am also not satisfied with the processing of paths that consist of many points. However, this is a matter for the controller, e.g. GRBL.
    The hardware is no longer the fastest.

I have also tried to change the number of points, but if you have too few points, it always stops and speeds up again.
    Besides, you don't get an arc but a polygon with corners.
    To clear out a pocket, I have built in extra circle functions G2 / G3 in the "Spiral" job method. This is processed more quickly. But it is very time-consuming to programme and only works with real arcs. Ellipses or projections are not possible.

I expect that a faster board will be available soon and that the problems can be solved with it.
    Thanks dear for your quick response,

Concerning changing the number of points, i think it is not working in the simulation mode as tried to change the option "Accuracy circle and arcs" in settings but it did not change anything at all, could you have a look at it.

for my little understanding if this parameters was for example 0.02 and it gives a 40 points on the arc
    so it is supposed when i change it to 0.04 to give a 20 points on the arc
    and when i change it to 0.08 it should give 10 points on the arc and so as in the next image

https://ibb.co/6r2724b

but currently when i change it, the number of points on arc still the same, is it working correct or iam missing some thing ?

also could you please tell the difference between these options in settings "poly line simplification -- accuracy circle and arcs -- snap value" as i am a little confused, i kept changing them but i notice no deference.

thank you

"poly line simplification" and "accuracy".
    At the moment, unfortunately, different values are still used in some places.
    The basic idea, however, is that you want as few points as possible. However, the maximum deviation from the original curve must not be exceeded.

The "snap" value indicates the maximum distance between two lines that can be recognised as ONE line.

You are right. This is still very confusing. I definitely need to revise this.

Hi, I am interested in using GrblBru to automate an old copper metal spinning lathe. I really loved the GrblGru project, which inspired me to take up the project. Sorry for some wrong terminologies used, if any.
    I am interested in knowing, if we can create custom arc-like travel for the tool. The exact use-case requires "Shear Spinning", where the copper plate needs to be deformed with different thickness around the object.
    Happy to share more details about the problem statement and share progress on the project too.

Sorry for the late reply, but I was on holiday and only got around to answering you now.

And of course I'm interested in the topic. However, I have never heard of it before and would therefore be pleased if you could explain more details to me.
    A photo of the machine would also be very helpful.

Hi there,

I wanted to use this program to slice an STL file into multiple layers, and your program was the best fit that I could find for what I wanted. However, when using the program I have found that most of the tools that are shown in the documentation and in your video tutorials are not present. Is this an error on my end or with my computer, or has the software changed since those guides were made? I've attracted screenshots of what I thought I would see and of what I actually see on my system. Would you find telling me what I have done wrong or what I have to change on my setup?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chrome_uK0PrAtSJE.jpg   GrblGru_yAYNUFepOv.jpg  

You are right, of course. A lot has changed over time. I am constantly working on the programme and trying to improve it.
    Feedback from users and my own practical experience with the machine constantly flow into the further development.
    Since I work alone on the programme, I must ask for your understanding that I unfortunately do not manage to keep the documentation up to date.
    Please contact me if you have any questions. I will be happy to answer them.

In your specific example, I tried to tidy up the menu.
    This has moved the 2D editor button to the right mouse button context menu.
    Click with the left mouse button on a path (marked yellow) and press the right mouse button.
    A menu appears in which you will find, among other things, the item "Geometry Editor".
    Please also have a look at the item "Graphic Editor". Here you can also position and scale your paths.

The principle behind this can be found everywhere in the programme.
    1. first select any object (e.g. a path, an STL, a layer, a job, etc.).
    2. then press the right mouse button and a menu appears in which you can select what can be done with the selected object.

To access the slicer, you must first select the STL with CTRL plus the left mouse button.
    This will mark the STL with a box of dashed lines.
    Again, after a right mouse click, a context menu appears in which you will find the slicer.

To return to the 'normal' mode, click with CTRL plus the left mouse button into 'somewhere'.

Page 27 of 38 17252627282937