586,111 active members*
3,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes
Page 33 of 38 233132333435

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

In the menu under Extras \ Postprocessor you will find a dialog, with the help of which you can change the GCode afterwards.
    Please check if one of the two marked functions can help you.

May I ask why you transfer the GCode with UGS to the controller ? You could also do that with GrblGru.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image.jpg  

Hi!I am using UGS to send g-code to arduino because it easy to calibrate the stepper motors and limit switches and because i found it before Grblgru

I had notice that the lathe cutter in the simulation is not following the finish toolpath precisely and i was wondering if is just a graphic issue or is it how it will look in reality.

Hello, i am new on this forum, my project are build a mini CNC 5 axis, based on HAAS UMC750 kinematics. Sorry for my poor english if you not understand.
    I want use GRBL GRU, my cad model are ok, but, for simulate the movements, it not exist any example in all the model have the same kinematics. Thatswhy i need your help.
    Here the picture of the machine.
    I would like the Blue X axis, move with the yellow Y and the red Z axis attached.
    The Y yellow axis move with the red Z axis attached.
    And red Z axis move alone.
    And, For the C axis, not named A, but really C same the conventionnal use because it around the Z axis for my case.
    For B it's correct it around Y.
    Can you help me please?

@Ryan4cnc
    In the simulation the toolpath is not processed exactly ???
    That would be an error of course.
    Can you please provide me the projectfile here ?

@Arfyx
    Congratulations, your model looks very good.
    If you provide me here the 3D data (Step, IGES, or STL), I can gladly try to program the corresponding kinematics to it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post
    @Arfyx
    Congratulations, your model looks very good.
    If you provide me here the 3D data (Step, IGES, or STL), I can gladly try to program the corresponding kinematics to it.
    Thanks for your help, of course, and i think you cand add this kinematics in the next GRU version for next user, this XYZBC kinematics very usefull in industry machining.
    File here:
    Attached Files Attached Files

@Arfyx

thank you for your nice model.
    I have integrated it under the name "Haas UMC750" in the new beta version V5.1.7.
    Please let me know if something should be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post
    @Arfyx

thank you for your nice model.
    I have integrated it under the name "Haas UMC750" in the new beta version V5.1.7.
    Please let me know if something should be wrong.
    Hi GrblGru, really thanks you, very good job for the kinematics. Nothing wrong, but there is only two things not correct. The model not classified with the 5axis Mill, and the arrow for rapid move commands for B and C axis not exist. I join picture here. If you can modify that, all will perfect. Maybe later i will need other things, but not for the moment, now i must build the CNC, and devellop it. If you need help for something, if i can help you, you can ask me.

@GrblGru
    Hi!If you look at your last pictures when you explain to me how use Extras \ Postprocessor dialog you can see that the finish toolpath is not following the part very precisely.I assume that is because of the tip of cutter that we use.I don't think is because of the 3d model or dxf file.
    What do you think?

@Arfyx
    thanks for the hint. I will correct that in the next version.
    Please keep us up to date with your project.
    I really like the design of the machine and would love to learn more about it.
    I wish you continued success.

@Ryan4cnc
    if the tool traced exactly the contour of the DXF file, you would not get the contour you want. The reason for this is because the contact point between the tool and the workpiece is constantly changing position.
    The calculation that ensures that not too much material is cut at any point of the tool cutting edge, is a special feature of GrblGru.
    You can try this when you load another bigger tool. The calculation will always try to use one point of the tool cutting edge as close as possible to the contour without destroying anything elsewhere. For example, if you have a gap somewhere in the contour of of 2mm, but a tool with a width of 3mm, GrbGru will not plunge there.

I recently downloaded GrblGru-installer-V5.1.0 and cannot find drop down menus that are used in slicing video. Can somebody guide me please? Version in the video appears to 3.5

Can't find slicing function GrblGru-V5.1.0.

BTW it appears that you have removed the 3.5 version from your drop box

Please guide me

I am constantly trying to develop the program further. Unfortunately, this has the consequence that also the menu functions must be changed sometimes.

So all 3D functions have been redesigned:

- Selection of a STL with CTRL + left mouse button
    - Opening the STL menu with CTRL + right mouse button

Please download the latest beta version V5.1.8 from my website. The old Dropbox is no longer available

GrblGru lathe tool path ofset

First of all, thank you very much for a great and free tool. In addition, it is also very easy to use.

I encountered the following problem. The lathe tool path genearted by GrblGru (both V5.1.0 and Lathe V1.1 beta) has an offset on the wrong side of DXF drawing. Please see attached screenshot for details. The final profile path (green line) has a segment (where tool tip is stopped during simulation) that is inside the DXF drawing, while it is supposed be on the outside. The consequence is that the resulting cut is always smaller than what is drawn in DXF.

Hope this can be fixed soon or worked-around, and please let me know how to buy you a few cups of coffee.

Hi GrblGru, Thanks for your software, I need some feature that I found to be error in new version of your software in CNC Foam Cut :
    1 . "Copy to left plane & Copy to right plane" feature is missing in newer version (V5.1 and V5.1.10). (picture attached).
    2. When I use 2 different dxf files each plane it not end up at the same time. I think left and right plane need to have same "points" so left and right axis can start and end at the same rate. (picture attached : left big circle and right small circle).
    3. When import G-code no longer preview in simulation, on earlier version it shown as yellow line.
    4. For more user freindly I think "Graph editor" in "2D" tab, need buttons. so can scale and move exactly rather than dragin a mouse to get exact position.

Hope you can solve this. Thanks.

Re: GrblGru lathe tool path ofset

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly.
    I assume you mean the place on the right where the tool crosses the centerline.
    One cause may be a DXF drawing where a line crosses the centerline. This should not be the case. (See pic 1)

If you don't want to go below a certain diameter, you can also enter a "Radius min".
    Then all movements will be limited at this point. (See pic 2)

If I have misunderstood you, please provide me with your projet file here. Then I can reproduce the error better.

@zuadha

I have been in the process of providing a FoamCutter mode in GrblGru for quite some time. My problem is that I don't own a FoamCutter machine myself, so I have to rely on outside suggestions.
    At the moment I have started a new attempt. There are still a few things to do. I hope to be able to publish a state soon.

1. When loading a DXF/SVG file, the two switches 'L' and 'R' are now queried.
    Depending on the position of these switches, the drawing is loaded either on the left, the right or both sides. (See pic1)

2. You are right. Contours of different lengths must also be processed in the same time.
    I hope to have realized this by calculating GCode with G93-Mode. Here no speed is given but a time.

3. This is one of the points, which are still to be done.

4. The graphic editor is only intended to position parts roughly.
    But there is also the possibility to use the geometry editor. With this editor you can do very precise rotations and displacements. (See pic2)

i just wrote post number 0x029A :drowning:
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Re: Grblgru turning toolpath

@deadlykitten

You're just off, you only got 0x299.
    I have it.

GrblGru 3-Axis Toolpath Bugs

@GrblGru many thanks for making such an outstanding little program packed with so much features for free. I have been following it's development since 2019. At first I was frustrated in figuring out how to make use of it in my hobby maker workflow as rendering was slow and software crashes were frequent, the interface with it's hidden menus refuse to give up it's secrets and as is well established documentation is lagging development and features. Not holding these against you as I understand the tremendous amount of work involved to get all this done. I recently decided to give the software another look and evaluated version 5.1.0. I must say it has come a very long way. However outside of this forum this little secret isn't well known. After scanning through pages of this support forum and reading the last updated help manual I was finally able to wrap my head around the software interface and better understand the software workflow. I am hoping I can use this treasure with my hobby maker CNC for 3-Axis milling. I started evaluating it's 2D and 3D functions and would like to report on some of my findings.

Main Mode: Pocket function
    -This feature seems to be broken in beta V5.1.10. It's working fine in the stable release V5.1.0. What I found was the toolpath generated in V5.1.10 didn't rapid move to a safe Z height at the begin and ending of the move, it only had the safe Z height at the end of the move. This resulted in a triangular toolpath with the tool crashing into the workpiece as it rapid to a new location.
    - Rapid moves didn't turn off the spindle for safety.

Main Mode: _3D function
    This little feature was an amazing find. However I found the toolpaths generated with this mode aren't quite useful as yet in V5.1.0.
    - Zigzag Rough toolpath (V5.1.0):
    - This toolpath rapid move doesn't move to the set safe Z height/"Height of Clearance Plane" under Process at all, so while to cutting move profiles the stl correctly the return move destroys the cut and this results in a useless operation practically.
    - Zigzag Finish toolpath (V5.1.0):
    - This toolpath rapid moves in -Z instead of positive Z. In fact it does so at the maximum -Z of the stl. While it profiles the stl correctly the toolpath wrap around the entire stl object in both positive and negative Z. This results the tool completing destroying the previously cut profile making it's operation useless practically.
    - This toolpath also seems to ignore the "Sum of Increment" value set under Process and slices the stl all the way to it's -Z limits regardless of maximum increment value set.
    - Waterline rough and finish (V5.1.0):
    - I am unable to generate any toolpaths with either of these. I am not sure what steps I might be missing.

All in all I decided to make this software a core part of my workflow and will report back from time to time on issues I found as I attempt to put it through it's paces. Looking forward to your software fixes.

@SpartanVC

You are right, of course. The start was caotic. A lot of different machines have been added. Robots, lathes, 5-axis mills, etc. I also tried a lot of things. Some of it was good but a lot of it turned out to be bad and was discarded.
    But this experimentation phase is now finished and I am in the process of making the program stable.

Therefore I am very happy if you are willing to help me.

I just uploaded a new version V5.1.12 again. This should fix the bug in the pocket function.
    To the 3D functions I must unfortunately still put off you. I would like to make the normal 2D functions stable first.
    As soon as everything runs error-free, the 3D things will come.

I'll write you a PM with my email address.
    If you agree, we can then exchange a little more comfortable via EMail.

Page 33 of 38 233132333435