586,299 active members*
4,002 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes
Page 35 of 38 253334353637

Re: GrblGru: Free CAM and 3D-Simulation for mills and lathes

Thank you for your feedback.
    However, I am having problems reconstructing the errors. Also because I have no information about your machine.
    Are you really using a FoamCutter machine?

Can you please provide me with a project file for each of the 3 points ? So please simply run "Save project".
    All process information and the current machine are then saved in the project file (Extention .GRU).
    I can then use this to debug the error.

Unable to see "the stock" as it appears nicely in the video's. This applies to the lathe and mill simulators. Admittedly my eyesight sucks until cataract surgery in the spring but damn for the life of me can't see what I must be doing wrong. Ive tries both win 7-sp1 ans well as latest win-10 computers.
    Help please.
    Bill Phillips
    Retired Eng.
    Surrey,BC,Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GrblGru View Post
    Thank you for your feedback.
    However, I am having problems reconstructing the errors. Also because I have no information about your machine.
    Are you really using a FoamCutter machine?

Can you please provide me with a project file for each of the 3 points ? So please simply run "Save project".
    All process information and the current machine are then saved in the project file (Extention .GRU).
    I can then use this to debug the error.
    Sorry for late response. This is im using V5.1.17
    heres the file that you asking, I also put readme there

edit : Ive tested V5.1.18 too. and the problem still there
    Attached Files Attached Files

@Willytork
    Sorry, just saw your post.
    Can you please tell me what exactly is not working? Perhaps you have a screenshot for me. I would prefer it if you could save your project in the menu under "File\Save Project as..." and make it available to me here.

@zuadha
    Thanks for the data. I will need a little more time for the "WorkingClass" project. The machine model you are using is very special. Have you built such a machine in reality?

Regarding the "FoamCutter" project, I have to ask again what exactly is not working. The calculated GCode looks quite good, doesn't it?

Hi GrblGru, I have 5 axis (4 axis independent + 1 axis rotary) so if i use half on my machine I can use "workingClass" type machine to engrave foam.

On my v17.rar (foamCutter.gru) above. On 2D tab the dragon only the outher path (the inside path I delete using "delete unselected path") but in 3D tab and gcode seems not deleted (all the path that I delete still apears).

Re: GRBLGRU INCH G CODE AND G02/G03

Sorry for the late reply, but I just got back from my winter vacation.

@zuadha
    The problem in FoamCutter mode is that there can be 2 different geometries.
    One for the left side and one for the right side. The two can be identical, as in your example, but they can also be different. That's why I can't always simply reload the geometry into both sides during the calculation. If you make paths invisible, I have forgotten this.
    In general, I have to admit that the FoamCutting mode is not yet as stable as I would like it to be. I hope that I will be able to take care of it this year.
    Thanks for your feedback.

@Murray368

- resolution
    Yes, you can change the resolution. Please check your settings. I assume that you have set too high a value in the "Accuracy cirles and arcs" input. See pic below.

- GCode update
    The calculation of the Gcode sometimes takes a long time. Therefore, it is not recalculated for every small change. It is therefore advisable to press the "GCode" toolbar button before starting the program.

- Start diameter
    You are right. It would be nicer if only the diameter was taken over. I will change this when I work on the lathe program again.

- 2 Editors
    Good idea. I know the problem too. I used the Notepad++ plugin NCneticNpp, which is very similar to your editor. I will add the possibility for a 2nd editor.

Another question: Will we ever be able to import STEP (STP) files just like STL ones? I have problems exporting 3D DXF files from FREECAD but it allows me to export the same file in 3D using STEP format. Using STEP would be of great advantage. I don't think this would create proprietary problems. AutoCad wouldn't cry about this one.

Great/easy to use program. Thank you very much for sharing!

I am also glad to see that you plan to change the auto zero function when changing stock diameter. Sometimes that is helpful, but not when I try to sneak up on a specific dimension.

One issue that I noticed with lathe 1.0.0, is that when I change the jog rate in the settings, the new value is not shown at the bottom left (it always shows 20000). I have tried restarting and the new value persists in the settings page, but that new value is not used when jogging. Am I doing something wrong?

I just realized that the jog rate override works when controlling GRBL v1, but not when using the simulator (which is a non-issue). Thanks

@melrod
    STL is the simplest 3D graphics format that can be read and processed quickly.
    The effort required to process Step or Iges files would be enormous.
    However, most CAD programs can read Step and Iges and save them as STL.
    You only need the 3D files once to create a model.
    2D formats such as DXF or SVG are sufficient as normal user data.

@54baseball
    Yes, the speed in the simulation cannot be specified separately.

Just for general information for lathe enthusiasts:
    I currently have a "MillingLathe" model in the GG milling version V5.2.1.
    It has an adjustable C-axis for holding the workpieces and a B-axis for holding a milling spindle.
    In the future, it should be possible to create threads and engrave workpieces on appropriately upgraded lathes.

So I have a lathe and a mill which I want to convert to CNC. I like this software to run them both. However I have no clou how to do it. This evening I have loaded the Mega5x to an Atmega 2560 I had lying around and was able to approach the board so that works already. I want to attach nema 34 12nm steppers to my mill and lathe driving a mtd5 belt to all axes.
    Now my first question. Do I need a board between de steppermotors and atmega 2560?
    When yess, which ine should I use??

I think many questions will follow.

My lathe and mill

http://www.international2cvfriends.c...7367&mode=view

Turning and milling a crank shaft spacer to put a BMW motorcycle engine to a Citroen 2cv gearbox http://www.international2cvfriends.c...7361&mode=view

http://www.international2cvfriends.c...7362&mode=view

Re: GrblGru lathe tool path ofset

@CNCGeo

As an old 2cv enthusias (my first car !!!), I am of course very happy to help you.

However, your question cannot be answered in general terms. You definitely need a driver that can supply the motors with the necessary current.
    The controllers only supply pulse and direction signals, which the driver converts into signals for the motors. Which driver you need essentially depends on
    on the size or current requirement of the motors.
    For smaller motors, there are CNC shields, some of which can be plugged into the controller and which supply 3 motors with power, for example.
    See for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuDK-uluB6g

For somewhat larger motors, and I assume that you need these, there are drivers that supply one motor at a time.

So yesterday I ordered a set of 3 Nema 34 8.5nm closed loop stepper motors including 3 drivers and 3 powersupplies. I hope this will do the job.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40006...martRedirect=y

I also orderered some HTD 5m pulleys ratio 3 to 1 (31mm to 94mm) and belts 400mm long.

I figured out that you can plug in the wires of the stepper motor directly into the Atmega board, so I will try that first before buying a board, or maybee I design my own board layout...

I am still learning the software also, but I have some questions...

1. When I have multiple jobs and there is a (manual) toolchange neccecary, the programm gives you a hint but how can I do this.
    It would be nice if you could can put the macro's between the jobs (see attachment), for toolchange, zeroing etc. etc. (my opinion)

2. I managed to engage the macro editior,but I have not much of a clou how to programm them. Is it possible that all you folks post your macro's here with a brief description, that would be nice.

3 I imported a DXF file with 3 layers as >DXF made with Turbocad, but I only see one layer in the software, what am I doing wrong???

4. I have a mill and a lathe, which software do I need for my lathe??

Re: GRBLGRU...LO LONGER ABLE TO IMPORT 3D DXF. LATEST VERSION CONVERTS ALL TO 2D. WHY

@CNCGeo

1. I think this only makes sense if you have an automatic tool change system installed. In the hobby sector, the tool change is usually done manually.
    To do this, you first activate only the jobs that are to be processed first and start the process.
    After completion, deactivate them again, change the tool and zero your Z-axis again.
    If necessary, you can now also start the macros manually.
    Then activate the next jobs and start again.

2. There is chapter 6 "Macros" in the documentation on my website

3. Unfortunately there are many different DXF versions. It looks as if you are using a very old version.
    If you press the SHIFT key when loading, a different routine is used that understands the old format.
    You can also simply drag & drop your file from Explorer to the graphics window and press the SHIFT key.

4. You can find both variants at https://www.grblgru.com/.

Re: GRBLGRU...LO LONGER ABLE TO IMPORT 3D DXF. LATEST VERSION CONVERTS ALL TO 2D. WHY

@CNCGeo

1. I think this only makes sense if you have an automatic tool change system installed. In the hobby sector, the tool change is usually done manually.
    To do this, you first activate only the jobs that are to be processed first and start the process.
    After completion, deactivate them again, change the tool and zero your Z-axis again.
    If necessary, you can now also start the macros manually.
    Then activate the next jobs and start again.

First of all I"m (very) lazy.

If you read your own text there are several thinks you need to do then. This all you can avoid with putting macro's in front, after and in between jobs. Please tell my why a hobbiest should differ from a proffesional?????? and no I am doing a manual toolchange but the principel is the same, as an automatic tool change isn't it.

I am thinking like this:

facing of a piece with a macro,
    do a tool change with a macro including zeroing etc.(if necessary) (or even better do this with a toolchange job)
    doing a "job"as you call it.
    do another tool change with a macro.
    do the next "job". etc.
    you can even put in checkups in between the jobs with a macro.

All I want is putting in the raw piece, do all the work which needs to be done in 1 workflow and take the piece out when it is ready, even if I am a hobbiest.

But hey you are the boss, I'm just telling how I would like it.

The same is with backlash compensation, as I understand you don't want to programm this. I know I have backlash in my systems both lathe and mill and no I am going to do anything about it ( at the moment). 90% of backlash you can correct in software. Other programms do it and it is easy to programm (my opinion). So why not.
    Take a look at this video, In my opinion it says it all... https://youtu.be/A27nOkTFYDY?si=ofXSncMJ0xnO60c-

But hey again you are the boss here..

Sorry maybe I'm a little bit harsh here, but I only want to help to make your software better in my opinion and I think these are simple steps to make it better/bring it to the next level.

@CNCGeo

Thanks for your suggestions for improvement.
    I will think about your idea with the macros.

Today, after a long time, I would like to introduce you to a new function in my program.

In the past, it was already possible to machine round components, but the machining options were limited. Now, however, it is possible to machine rotationally symmetrical components in a similar way to components machined on normal 3-axis machines. Machining methods such as CUT, POCKET, CHAMFER and even V_CARVE can now also be used on the rotary axis.

The video only provides a general overview of a possible process. Basic knowledge of how to use GrblGru is assumed. More detailed descriptions would have driven the length of the video to infinity.

Unfortunately, I do not yet have a suitable machine for such processing. The image sections shown in the video were kindly provided by a friend.

All the processes shown in the video can be reproduced in the simulation mode of GrblGru. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Have fun trying it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui1jZSyUBXw

@CNCGeo

Thanks for your suggestions for improvement.
    I will think about your idea with the macros.
    Thank you..

I'm still gathering everything I need to convert my mill and lathe to cnc, I think there will follow much more questions when my machines are ready..

[QUOTE=mahamatovich92;2579420]?????? ????[/QUOTE
    hello, let me download the version with a tangential knife

There is no special version for tangential knives.
    So you can download the current beta version from my website. https://www.grblgru.com/

Page 35 of 38 253334353637